Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Options for doctors pre and post 45 years old

Options for doctors pre and post 45 years old

Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice
Default Options for doctors pre and post 45 years old

This forum got me to Australia. There is a MINE of information here....

I am hoping that you will come through for me one last time...

My brother is thinking of moving to Aus. He turns 45 in a year, he is a GP. Up until now, his best option was to move on a temp visa, and then write his exams here again, and process an on-shore permanent visa application before he truend 45. This was the advised route because he could then move to a city, rather than an "area of need" i.e. rural.

But the timing is now getting tight - I doubt he will be able to get here, work for a few months, and then write his exams AND submit his PR application .....all in a year - before he turns 45.

As such, my question to the forum is:
* What are his options to move to a city (i.e. not rural) AFTER he turns 45
* Do doors close to doctors (GP's) after 45

Any advise would be appreciated....

Thanks
Nix
Old Jun 15th 2010, 11:00 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Options for doctors pre and post 45 years old

Originally Posted by Nix and Mike
Any advise would be appreciated....

Thanks
Nix
I advise you to change your location in your profile!!!

Chappie I met once, he was a doctor, moved from England and became a GP in Somerville, VIC and I seem to remember he was over 45 when he emigrated.

If my memory is right it can be done.

BB
Old Jun 15th 2010, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all
Default Re: Options for doctors pre and post 45 years old

It is all highly dependent on where he qualified/ trained. Any GP not a graduate of an Australian/ NZ medical school HAS to work in an area which is a 'District of Workforce Shortage' (DWS) for 10 years. There is a searchable map on www.doctorconnect.gov.au and a lot of locations are actually quite close to major CBDs.
The rules change constantly and currently you can trade off an isolated location for fewer years bound by DWS rules.
There are some GP exams (UK, Ireland, Canada and some others) which are accepted as equivalent to the Australian College fellowship exam so you don't have to take them again.
His best option is to talk to one of the recruitment agencies who know the minutiae of migration rules as well as employment- I certainly couldn't have done it without them (UK qualified GP).
Old Jun 17th 2010, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice
Default Re: Options for doctors pre and post 45 years old

Thank guys
Some good advice....

P.S. Also updated my details !

Last edited by Nix and Mike; Jun 17th 2010 at 11:09 am.