Optional skills Assessment?

Old Sep 7th 2012, 9:31 am
Just Joined

jam.skinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Optional skills Assessment?

Hi all,
I am investigating the visa requirements for the 189.
So you know, i am an electrician that qualified from my apprenticeship in 2007 with NVQ3, C&G2351, AM2.
Since then i cannot prove the 3 years work experiance needed but can scrape 60 points when i complete the ielts with minimum 8's.
I have seen on the vettassess site the words "Optional skills Assessment",
does this mean with proven qualifications that the practical assessment may not be needed? Just want some clarification as like any of you, i'd rather have the $1500. Also I have read on this forum about going for the artc when getting to Oz. This has also made me doubt the need for the practical as with that they may not let you on the course if you have the OTSR?
I'd be grateful of your replies to set me right as it doesn't all seem to clear and the agent wont tell me without being paid of course.

Thanks Jamie
Old Sep 7th 2012, 11:33 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Optional skills Assessment?

are you sure you read it correctly re. optional a skills assessment, the skilled independent visa (189 as it were) requires you to have a skills assessment before you begin, there is nothing optional about it. May that be the case where you think of practical assessment as being optional, as part of the skills assessment?

I also suggest you visit the electricians subforum here on BE, there is plenty of specific advice there as well. It is worldwide, but lots of Australian info there you can use.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

jam.skinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Optional skills Assessment?

Originally Posted by newjersey
are you sure you read it correctly re. optional a skills assessment, the skilled independent visa (189 as it were) requires you to have a skills assessment before you begin, there is nothing optional about it. May that be the case where you think of practical assessment as being optional, as part of the skills assessment?

I also suggest you visit the electricians subforum here on BE, there is plenty of specific advice there as well. It is worldwide, but lots of Australian info there you can use.
Thanks for pointing out the electricians forum, I went through and basically everyone has to do the practical if you come into pathway 1. The optional skills assessment is for pathway 2.
Looks like i wont be saving anything!
Thanks for your reply.