Option for bringing Nephew out to Oz

Old Apr 13th 2012, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

melbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to all
Default Option for bringing Nephew out to Oz

Hi all,

Not sure if there are any options for this but if any one will know, someone on here will!!

We emigrated to Perth in 2009, 176 PR visa. My sister, nephew and niece came to visit a year ago and my nephew didn't want to leave (he obviously did!). He didn't do so well in his GCSE's last year in the UK and signed up for an apprenticeship. The rules changed and now he can't seem to get onto an apprenticeship in the UK, this is with a view to skilling up in the right field to be able to move to Oz once he has enough experience.

However, as he is having difficulty getting anything in the UK, he is looking at alternative options to get here. Is there anyway he can get on an apprenticeship here, are we able to sponsor him to come and and live or is his best option a working visa.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Mel
Old Apr 13th 2012, 1:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Option for bringing Nephew out to Oz

Not sure how he'd get an apprenticeship to be honest. I think he's either looking at a WHV (providing he's had his 18th birthday) or a Student Visa but that tends to be very expensive and obviously it's a Temporary visa so whether he can go on to get PR is something no one in the world can tell you.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melbert
However, as he is having difficulty getting anything in the UK, he is looking at alternative options to get here. Is there anyway he can get on an apprenticeship here, are we able to sponsor him to come and and live or is his best option a working visa.
He isn't going to get a visa for doing an apprenticeship, there are plenty of Australian's to take up apprenticeship places.

I am not sure what a WHV would achieve if he is looking to start out in a career. WHVs are great for bumming around for a year and if he already had a profession then a WHV is a quick way in and could lead to something else.

But in his situation, most employers will not seriously consider him as a trainee as he would only be able to stay for 6 months because of the visa rules.

You won't be able to sponsor him for a visa. I suppose he could come over for a couple of years and hope by time he leaves things will have picke dup in UK and he can start to work at his career then?
Old Apr 14th 2012, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

melbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to all

Thanks Moneypenny20 and Bermudashorts, thought it might be difficult but worth looking into. I guess there's no way we can sponsor him to come out as PR either is there? He's 17 at the moment.

Mel
Old Apr 14th 2012, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Moneypenny20 and Bermudashorts, thought it might be difficult but worth looking into. I guess there's no way we can sponsor him to come out as PR either is there? He's 17 at the moment.

Mel
No, there is no way you can help your 17 year old nephew get a visa.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, he'll just have to continue to try in the UK and see what happens, he loves it out here (Oz) so much, it's making him determined to succeed and be able to get here, the situation in the UK is just not helping him to get something to get him here!

Mel
Old Apr 15th 2012, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

what sort of occupation is he interested in? which region is he living in ? I've just googled apprenticeships generally & there is certainly quite a selection advertised- maybe try boatbuilding in Cornwall?? now that might come in handy for a future in Aus.....
Old Apr 15th 2012, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by campervanfan
what sort of occupation is he interested in? which region is he living in ? I've just googled apprenticeships generally & there is certainly quite a selection advertised- maybe try boatbuilding in Cornwall?? now that might come in handy for a future in Aus.....
Thanks Campervanfan. He was looking at IT and there's not much in his region but he may have to rethink his options!

Cheers for your help.

Mel
Old Apr 20th 2012, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

booshay is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Not sure if there are any options for this but if any one will know, someone on here will!!

We emigrated to Perth in 2009, 176 PR visa. My sister, nephew and niece came to visit a year ago and my nephew didn't want to leave (he obviously did!). He didn't do so well in his GCSE's last year in the UK and signed up for an apprenticeship. The rules changed and now he can't seem to get onto an apprenticeship in the UK, this is with a view to skilling up in the right field to be able to move to Oz once he has enough experience.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Mel
Hi Mel ,
He should be 18 soon yes ...if so he will then qualify for a working holiday visa then he can get a job in perth which after 3 months will qualify him for a 2nd working holiday visa so after 2 years working in perth(perth is classed as regional work now) putting the effort in he could then try for a sponsorship if he puts the effort in with his employer ...
Old Apr 20th 2012, 3:37 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by booshay
Hi Mel ,
He should be 18 soon yes ...if so he will then qualify for a working holiday visa then he can get a job in perth which after 3 months will qualify him for a 2nd working holiday visa so after 2 years working in perth(perth is classed as regional work now) putting the effort in he could then try for a sponsorship if he puts the effort in with his employer ...
Perth isn't considered regional for the WHV. Also, to obtain the second WHV, they would need to have done three months of specified work. This visa is good for spending a year or two seeing Australia & getting a feel for the place, but I think the odds of an 18 year old with no trade, qualifications or experience being able to secure a more permanent visa afterwards is incredibly low.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

booshay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
Perth isn't considered regional for the WHV. Also, to obtain the second WHV, they would need to have done three months of specified work. This visa is good for spending a year or two seeing Australia & getting a feel for the place, but I think the odds of an 18 year old with no trade, qualifications or experience being able to secure a more permanent visa afterwards is incredibly low.
There was talk of perth qualifying as regional work must not have been implemented ....either way do the 3 months soon as he lands gives 18 months to get in with a company and work his socks off he ll 20 by then...... i know scores of friends on 457 visas with no trade back round ...its do able and best option posted on this forum page
alternatively get himself a nice big fat lonely ozzie chic and go defacto
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:10 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by booshay
There was talk of perth qualifying as regional work must not have been implemented ....either way do the 3 months soon as he lands gives 18 months to get in with a company and work his socks off he ll 20 by then...... i know scores of friends on 457 visas with no trade back round ...its do able and best option posted on this forum page
alternatively get himself a nice big fat lonely ozzie chic and go defacto
It has been implemented - but not for a WHV. You may know 'scores of friends on 457s', but whoever would be sponsoring would have to justify why, especially when there are plenty of unemployed, under qualified & inexperienced 18 year old locals that could take a job. The likelihood of an employer being able to convince DIAC is rather low.

I take it you don't realise that he'd have to find & start living with someone rather quickly to be able to get a de facto partner visa. Trying to get a visa - not the best basis of a relationship!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your replies.

A WHV may be a possibility but the intention is to gain a trade, but it's so hard for school leavers to get something now.

There are plenty of 18 year old that could take a job here, I agree, however, there are lots of them that don't want to which is why there are lots of young people coming over on WHV's with jobs available for them.

It's a shame there are no option for family members, especially as we would likely have to stump up a lump sum if these options did exist and we were to have him living with us.

Our research continues!

Mel :-D
Old Apr 25th 2012, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for your replies.

A WHV may be a possibility but the intention is to gain a trade, but it's so hard for school leavers to get something now.

There are plenty of 18 year old that could take a job here, I agree, however, there are lots of them that don't want to which is why there are lots of young people coming over on WHV's with jobs available for them.

It's a shame there are no option for family members, especially as we would likely have to stump up a lump sum if these options did exist and we were to have him living with us.

Our research continues!

Mel :-D
Research what further? I honestly don't believe you are going to find anything other than the WHV.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Research what further? I honestly don't believe you are going to find anything other than the WHV.
Research apprenticeships in the UK!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.