Wikiposts

One-way flight tickets on a tourist visa

Old Jun 1st 2010, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all
Default One-way flight tickets on a tourist visa

Just wondered if you can come in on a one-way ticket on a tourist visa ?
Does the requirement for a return ticket change perhaps if you get a 6 month visa? and or if you provide evidence of funds to purchase a return ticket?
Any help much appreciated,
Sunbound
Old Jun 1st 2010, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One-way flight tickets on a tourist visa

I think the question is ... why would a tourist come over on a one way ticket? Would you be able to elaborate on why you ask?
Old Jun 1st 2010, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I think the question is ... why would a tourist come over on a one way ticket? Would you be able to elaborate on why you ask?
Absolutely the point, why would you come on a one way when two one ways are so much more expensive than a return. You can see why an immigration official could ask difficult questions.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:44 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I thought if you were coming on the longer term tourist visa it would be acceptable to do a one way? Maybe you'd have to have an open return? (just occurred to me).
Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunbound
Just wondered if you can come in on a one-way ticket on a tourist visa ?
Does the requirement for a return ticket change perhaps if you get a 6 month visa? and or if you provide evidence of funds to purchase a return ticket?
Any help much appreciated,
Sunbound
Am guessing this'll be related to this thread?

I'm no Immigration Officer but I've watched enough Border Patrol to know that someone arriving on a Tourist Visa without a return ticket (or onward journey ticket) would set the alarm bells off. If they try it then best be prepared to be interviewed.

Last edited by tartankoala; Jun 1st 2010 at 10:27 pm. Reason: Additional stuff
Old Jun 1st 2010, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

mikewest is just really nicemikewest is just really nicemikewest is just really nicemikewest is just really nicemikewest is just really nicemikewest is just really nicemikewest is just really nicemikewest is just really nice

My guess is that you could do it without any difficulties if for instance you had a one way ticket onwards to NZ or Thailand or somewhere else to show them if you are questioned. This is all predicated on you being on a world tour or some such. A one way ticket with no onward plans could get you a very quick return ticket if the TV shows are to be believed.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Elmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to all

I came in on a WHV with a one way ticket. My partner went through immigration at the same desk as me, validating his PR. I was fully expecting to have to answer some questions but we were no even looked at twice! Must have honest faces!
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elmo2552
I came in on a WHV with a one way ticket. My partner went through immigration at the same desk as me, validating his PR. I was fully expecting to have to answer some questions but we were no even looked at twice! Must have honest faces!
A WHV is easier to do on a one way ticket as it is valid for a year, and you generally can't book a return more than a year ahead. Fir a shorter tourist visa it can be harder though.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
A WHV is easier to do on a one way ticket as it is valid for a year, and you generally can't book a return more than a year ahead. Fir a shorter tourist visa it can be harder though.
Agree, everyone I know who came on a WHV came on a one way (it’s expected), you can’t book a ticket more than a year in advance and a lot apply for the second year visa. A tourist one is very very different.

Sure, wont immigration notice on your incoming passenger card – it asks you how many days you are staying in Australia and for specific dates. Surely if you leave that blank it’s going to raise questions, and not to mention the system knows if you have a return ticket or not. They know they pattern of people, that’s how they catch drug runners, they notice the way the ticket was bought, what awkward flights they had (odd connections) etc.

This sounds horrible, but the OP’s parents seem to want to fiddle the system, and as horrible as this sounds I hope they get caught and turned back – it’s not fair on people who are waiting outside for their PR, it’s also abuse of the tourist visa system.

But that’s just my opinion.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by canadaeh
Agree, everyone I know who came on a WHV came on a one way (it’s expected), you can’t book a ticket more than a year in advance and a lot apply for the second year visa. A tourist one is very very different.

Sure, wont immigration notice on your incoming passenger card – it asks you how many days you are staying in Australia and for specific dates. Surely if you leave that blank it’s going to raise questions, and not to mention the system knows if you have a return ticket or not. They know they pattern of people, that’s how they catch drug runners, they notice the way the ticket was bought, what awkward flights they had (odd connections) etc.

This sounds horrible, but the OP’s parents seem to want to fiddle the system, and as horrible as this sounds I hope they get caught and turned back – it’s not fair on people who are waiting outside for their PR, it’s also abuse of the tourist visa system.

mmmm, think this threads about to kick off like the container one did!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I actually get the impression they are trying to do the right thing but possibly going the wrong way about it. On the other hand it is quite possible that they are just trying to work out the best way to do what needs doing without spending money on return tickets and seeing if they can be here as soon as possible whilst doing the whole visa thing. I think it's all legit, it's certainly more legit that some of the queries in the Immi forum If you don't know every nut and bolt of a migration process you have to ask, just because you don't know doesn't mean you're trying to fudge the system.

So, Sunbound, it looks like they'll have to get a return ticket or an onward ticket to NZ or somewhere like that.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
So, Sunbound, it looks like they'll have to get a return ticket or an onward ticket to NZ or somewhere like that.
Will that work though? Will they not look that they have a 1 way ticket to New Zealand and think.. hmm.. are they going to stay in NZ?

They’d probably be best getting a return, at least an open ticket.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Will that work though? Will they not look that they have a 1 way ticket to New Zealand and think.. hmm.. are they going to stay in NZ?

I don't know to be honest. Would passport control care what happens after they, in theory, leave Australia? If they have a long tourist visa, sort out the parent one whilst here, they don't have to use the NZ leg but it would be less money to pay out compared to a return to UK leg?

I think I'll move this to Immi, someone who knows 100% factually may be able to confirm yea or nay. A call to a migration expert could be the way forward.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The Aus authorities won't care about whether they are going to stay in NZ, they will see that as a NZ issue. All they will want to see is s valid ticket for onward travel at some point If they travelled on to NZ then the NZ authorities wold be the ones concerened about them staying there.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

When I first went to Oz on a one year only work contract I had a one year return with BA.

The company retained me for 2nd year so I got a refund from BA which from memory was about the same differnce as buying a one way ticket would have been.

Don't know if that would still be the case but it might solve the issue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.