Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

OMG! Citizenship quals changed yet again??!

OMG! Citizenship quals changed yet again??!

Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice
Default OMG! Citizenship quals changed yet again??!

Just wondering if anyone can please help as im at the end of my teather.
We were granted PR on 19 June 2007 and entered the country on 10th feb 2008 ...we have been told (by Australian Immigration back in Sept 2008) that we will qualify for citizenship on 10th Feb 2010 (because our visa was granted before the 1st July cutoff date we did not have to wait 4 years to apply)
we have now contacted them again today, about something else and they have now said things have changed and you needed to be resident in the country before 1st July 2008? Can anyone tell me which of these 2 officials is correct??? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE say the first one!
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice
Default Re: OMG! Citizenship quals changed yet again??!

A huge thankyou to anyone who can help!
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:04 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Think you'll find its the second one unfortunately, you can check the calculator on the citizenship website as well..
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speargun
We were granted PR on 19 June 2007 and entered the country on 10th feb 2008 ...we have been told (by Australian Immigration back in Sept 2008) that we will qualify for citizenship on 10th Feb 2010 (because our visa was granted before the 1st July cutoff date we did not have to wait 4 years to apply)
we have now contacted them again today, about something else and they have now said things have changed and you needed to be resident in the country before 1st July 2008? Can anyone tell me which of these 2 officials is correct??? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE say the first one!
As far as I know it hasn't changed.

You had to validate before 1st July 2007, but to be eligible under the old rules you also have to be eligible for, and apply for citizenship on or before 30th June 2010.
So in order to qualify under the old rules, you would have needed to be resident here by 1st July 2008, in order to get the 2 years.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 4:08 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speargun
The residence requirement information seems to be harder to come by on the citizenship website these days, however:

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applyi...rant_perm_res/

Says:

When does permanent residence start?
If you were granted a migrant visa offshore your permanent residence date is the date of your first arrival in Australia on this visa.

Which suggests you became PR on 10th Feb 2008 and therefore the 4 year residence rule would apply.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 4:20 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

The information hasn't changed, rather you were given wrong informaion in the first place.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ex_exile
The information hasn't changed, rather you were given wrong informaion in the first place.
thanks guys...not the news I was hoping for! But thanks for letting me know ..think we may need to change areas

Thanks