British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   OMG! Citizenship quals changed yet again??! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/omg-citizenship-quals-changed-yet-again-633232/)

Speargun Sep 30th 2009 2:34 am

OMG! Citizenship quals changed yet again??!

Just wondering if anyone can please help as im at the end of my teather.
We were granted PR on 19 June 2007 and entered the country on 10th feb 2008 ...we have been told (by Australian Immigration back in Sept 2008) that we will qualify for citizenship on 10th Feb 2010 (because our visa was granted before the 1st July cutoff date we did not have to wait 4 years to apply)
we have now contacted them again today, about something else and they have now said things have changed and you needed to be resident in the country before 1st July 2008? Can anyone tell me which of these 2 officials is correct??? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE say the first one!

Speargun Sep 30th 2009 2:34 am

Re: OMG! Citizenship quals changed yet again??!

A huge thankyou to anyone who can help!

silver Sep 30th 2009 3:04 am

Think you'll find its the second one unfortunately, you can check the calculator on the citizenship website as well..

Pollyana Sep 30th 2009 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Speargun (Post 7976360)
We were granted PR on 19 June 2007 and entered the country on 10th feb 2008 ...we have been told (by Australian Immigration back in Sept 2008) that we will qualify for citizenship on 10th Feb 2010 (because our visa was granted before the 1st July cutoff date we did not have to wait 4 years to apply)
we have now contacted them again today, about something else and they have now said things have changed and you needed to be resident in the country before 1st July 2008? Can anyone tell me which of these 2 officials is correct??? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE say the first one!

As far as I know it hasn't changed.

You had to validate before 1st July 2007, but to be eligible under the old rules you also have to be eligible for, and apply for citizenship on or before 30th June 2010.
So in order to qualify under the old rules, you would have needed to be resident here by 1st July 2008, in order to get the 2 years.

bcworld Sep 30th 2009 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Speargun (Post 7976360)

The residence requirement information seems to be harder to come by on the citizenship website these days, however:

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applyi...rant_perm_res/

Says:

When does permanent residence start?
If you were granted a migrant visa offshore your permanent residence date is the date of your first arrival in Australia on this visa.

Which suggests you became PR on 10th Feb 2008 and therefore the 4 year residence rule would apply.

ex_exile Sep 30th 2009 4:20 am

The information hasn't changed, rather you were given wrong informaion in the first place.

Speargun Sep 30th 2009 8:31 am

Originally Posted by ex_exile (Post 7976539)
The information hasn't changed, rather you were given wrong informaion in the first place.

thanks guys...not the news I was hoping for! But thanks for letting me know ..think we may need to change areas

Thanks