Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Obtaining a reference from current employer

Wikiposts

Obtaining a reference from current employer

Old Oct 21st 2007, 12:17 am
Just Joined

Bubo is on a distinguished road
Question Obtaining a reference from current employer

I've decided to apply to the ACS for a skills assessement while my hubby waits for his TRA results. I thought we might need the extra points!

Ive found all my old certificates and asked for references off my old employers. The only thing Im worried about is how to get a reference off my current employer without letting them know what I'm doing. They've just had another round of job cuts and I dont want to give them an excuse to get rid of me until I'm ready to go.

I did think about submitting my application without the reference because its only 6-9 months worth of experience and I have 9+ before that.

Any ideas?
Old Oct 21st 2007, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of
Default Re: Obtaining a reference from current employer

Originally Posted by Bubo
I've decided to apply to the ACS for a skills assessement while my hubby waits for his TRA results. I thought we might need the extra points!

Ive found all my old certificates and asked for references off my old employers. The only thing Im worried about is how to get a reference off my current employer without letting them know what I'm doing. They've just had another round of job cuts and I dont want to give them an excuse to get rid of me until I'm ready to go.

I did think about submitting my application without the reference because its only 6-9 months worth of experience and I have 9+ before that.

Any ideas?
Tell your employer that you need the reference in order to join the British Comp Society and the more detail you have in it the better.

It worked for us.

Good luck

Trish
Old Oct 21st 2007, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Bubo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by scrum
Tell your employer that you need the reference in order to join the British Comp Society and the more detail you have in it the better.
That sounds feasible, thanks. Do the ACS ever follow up on references though?
Old Oct 21st 2007, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bubo
That sounds feasible, thanks. Do the ACS ever follow up on references though?
Yes they do but not too often as far as I know. I haven't heard of any ACS reference follow up on here but then not everyone posts on here.

It's possible they will have a certain number of cases that they pull from the pile and investigate i honestly don't know.

Your alternative is to get a standard HR reference (they have to keep it confidential if you ask them) and get a colleague or two to do detailed references on plain paper and attach business cards.

The important thing to remember is that your refs need to be checkable.

Trish