Wikiposts

NZ- Recognised Work Experience

Old Feb 13th 2005, 1:43 pm
nachiket7

Default NZ- Recognised Work Experience

Hi,

I am in the process of applying for NZ EOI.
I have some doubts reagarding the recognised work experience, i have
been working in the IT industry for the past 6.5 years, but I have been
working in the comparable market (Singapore) only for the past 4.5
years. Earlier to that I had been working in India for 2 years in IT
industry.

The questions are;
1. Should I include the details of my experience in India as part of
recognised work exp.?
2. Is my recognised work experience 6.5 years or 4.5 years?
3. I am not sure if this applies for Identified Cluster, i do not have
any employment offer in NZ, can i claim points under "work experience
in identified cluster" ?
4. Last, what would be my experience in area of absolute skills
shortage?
4.5 years or 6.5 years? since it does not mention that this
experience has to be "recognized work" exp.

Any inputs would be much helpful.

Thanks..

Old Feb 14th 2005, 12:31 am
Just Joined

hughj is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: NZ- Recognised Work Experience

In reply to your questions:

1. It's OK to have work experience that's not in a comprable labout market and for it to count, but much depends on your country of citizenship and the company you worked for. If you're a citizen of one of the countries listed, then you can claim the points. Likewise, if you worked for a company HQed in any of those countries.
2. It's probably 4.5 years, unless the above applies.
3. You'll only gain points for an "identified cluster" if you have a job offer in that area - it's a "double whammy" as you'll get points for job offer and cluster skills, but none if you don't have both. Instead, if you have an IT degree, I'd look at what points you can gain for "absolute skills shortage"...
4. ...but we can't do this unless you have a recognised qualification in the right areas (on the LTSSL) and you haven't given this information, so I can't answer your question. The work has to be in a comparable labour market though, so you'd only be able to claim 4.5 years here.

You need to draw the distinction between relevant experience that might get you a job and experience you can claim points for on an EOI. The latter is tightly defined and may reduce your experience (rightly or wrongly...)

Hugh

Last edited by hughj; Feb 14th 2005 at 1:38 am.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 4:23 am
Just Joined

hughj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ- Recognised Work Experience

Originally Posted by hughj
In reply to your questions:

1. It's OK to have work experience that's not in a comprable labout market and for it to count, but much depends on your country of citizenship and the company you worked for. If you're a citizen of one of the countries listed, then you can claim the points. Likewise, if you worked for a company HQed in any of those countries.
2. It's probably 4.5 years, unless the above applies.
3. You'll only gain points for an "identified cluster" if you have a job offer in that area - it's a "double whammy" as you'll get points for job offer and cluster skills, but none if you don't have both. Instead, if you have an IT degree, I'd look at what points you can gain for "absolute skills shortage"...
4. ...but we can't do this unless you have a recognised qualification in the right areas (on the LTSSL) and you haven't given this information, so I can't answer your question. The work has to be in a comparable labour market though, so you'd only be able to claim 4.5 years here.

You need to draw the distinction between relevant experience that might get you a job and experience you can claim points for on an EOI. The latter is tightly defined and may reduce your experience (rightly or wrongly...)

Hugh
Sorry on point 1. it should say citizen of country AND company is HQed in a comparable labour market too.

Sorry for the confusion.

Hugh