NZ Citizen retiring to Brisbane?

Old Mar 22nd 2019, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default NZ Citizen retiring to Brisbane?

Hi all
Does anyone know if one is able to retire and live in Australia once they become NZ pensioners? We are currently living back in UK but we are both NZ citizens and thinking of retiring next year when we reach the correct NZ retirement age. Finding lots of conflicting information online rather confusing...
Also can anyone recommend any websites that would clarify what we would need on the health front.. e.g. Would we need private health insurance or would we be covered by the Public Health Service there? Any other advice and suggestions gratefully received. Thanks in advance 🤞
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ Citizen retiring to Brisbane?

If you are a New Zealand Citizen, you can live in Australia.

Huge numbers of Kiwis retire to Queensland.

You can get Medicare:

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/ind...who-can-get-it
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute

That's excellent news, many thanks indeed. I had read so many reports of NZ citizens not being able to access any benefits in Australia that I had assumed we wouldn't qualify for anything like that
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 10:53 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smudge1 View Post
That's excellent news, many thanks indeed. I had read so many reports of NZ citizens not being able to access any benefits in Australia that I had assumed we wouldn't qualify for anything like that ������
As an NZ Citizen in Australia you become a grey area! You are treated the same as a Permanent Resident in many areas, and treated the same as a temporary resident in others. But there are thousands and thousands of NZ citizens retired in Australia, you get all the medical benefits of a permanent resident, however these days for an NZ citizen to get Medicare you have to prove that you have come to live in Australia, rather than just visit for medical tourism. So evidence of an Australian bank account, or sale of a house overseas, or a 12 month rental agreement in Australia etc etc would satisfy this.

BB
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Thank you so much, this is all music to my ears
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 9:51 pm
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee View Post
As an NZ Citizen in Australia you become a grey area! You are treated the same as a Permanent Resident in many areas, and treated the same as a temporary resident in others. But there are thousands and thousands of NZ citizens retired in Australia, you get all the medical benefits of a permanent resident, however these days for an NZ citizen to get Medicare you have to prove that you have come to live in Australia, rather than just visit for medical tourism. So evidence of an Australian bank account, or sale of a house overseas, or a 12 month rental agreement in Australia etc etc would satisfy this.

BB
I actually find that interesting.

What happens with the NZ state pension then? I tohught one could only be outside of NZ for 6 months .

Old Mar 23rd 2019, 2:11 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I actually find that interesting.

What happens with the NZ state pension then? I tohught one could only be outside of NZ for 6 months .
On reading the attached link, it appears that a New Zealand citizen who moves to Australia can continue to receive their super (pension) for 26 weeks, after which they need to apply for an Australian age pension. Their application will be subject to Australia's age pension rules, which includes income and assets tests. If the NZ citizen doesn't meet the Oz age pension income and assets tests, ie if they're not entitled to any Oz pension, then their NZ super will cease. That's my understand after a quick read anyway!
https://www.workandincome.govt.nz/pe...alia.html#null
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that. So from what I can understand, if a couple have another income of over $304 per fortnight, the state pension reduces by 50%? Wow..that seems rather harsh May have to re-think if that's the case...
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 11:49 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smudge1 View Post
Thanks for that. So from what I can understand, if a couple have another income of over $304 per fortnight, the state pension reduces by 50%? Wow..that seems rather harsh May have to re-think if that's the case...
The Australian age pension is very different to the UK State pension (don't know anything about the NZ one). While your UK pension is based on your NI contributions the Oz one is paid from general federal funds and is a welfare payment, hence the income and assets tests.