NVQ3 for Telephone Engineer

Old Apr 29th 2008, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Flixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to all
Default NVQ3 for Telephone Engineer

Does anyone know how my OH would go about gaining a NVQ3 via recognition of prior learning (RPL) I have been told that it is called APEL in the Uk, but I am having trouble finding a training provider for telephone engineers. I am going to give BT a ring today, but thought i'd pick the brains of all you clever people!
Cheers
Flix
Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: NVQ3 for Telephone Engineer

Originally Posted by Flixy
Does anyone know how my OH would go about gaining a NVQ3 via recognition of prior learning (RPL) I have been told that it is called APEL in the Uk, but I am having trouble finding a training provider for telephone engineers. I am going to give BT a ring today, but thought i'd pick the brains of all you clever people!
Cheers
Flix
Hi Flixy,
I did a bit of googling at work today and didn't find much to help. I've asked around as well but no joy there either but I will keep asking around.
Hope you find a solution soon.

Johnnyyt
Old Apr 30th 2008, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Cheers
Flix
I am ex BT and they do all their training through Accenture now. There is also a college in Essex called SEEVIC and they deal with IT/Comms qualifications. NVQ is a vocational qualification so you normal do that via a employer
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Flixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to all

Thank you both!
My OH asked his work's training department yesterday and they told him that they don't do an NVQ3 for his job as he has a license and that is all that is needed I will keep searching though.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all

Does he know what NVQ level 3 he wants to do? There are a few in telecoms.

Has he thought about paying for it himself?
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by seat151
Does he know what NVQ level 3 he wants to do? There are a few in telecoms.

Has he thought about paying for it himself?
We are trying to find out if they do a NVQ3 in his job, he doesn't do the network side of things and that's all I can find so far. He is up poles, down holes, fault-finding, wire twisting etc. You know, the guy who fixes your phone when it's out of order. He doesn't work for BT, he contracts to them through another company.
Ofcourse we would pay for it, I didn't think there was any other way
Old Apr 30th 2008, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

STREAKY is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,i am also bt openreach now,but had tra passed before changes,i also struggled to get any info off bt regarding certificates training,qualifications,licence etc,but if i can help with anything let me know
Old May 1st 2008, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Watty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to all

Cheers
Flix
Hi Im also Bt openreach and have been granted visa on telecomms trade. Are you trying to get an australian liscence or qualifications for passing the TRA???
Old May 1st 2008, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Watty'n'Arls
Hi Im also Bt openreach and have been granted visa on telecomms trade. Are you trying to get an australian liscence or qualifications for passing the TRA???
We have been caught up in the removal of pathway D.
There have been rumours that the TRA might accept an NVQ gained via RPL for a replacement for pathway D, it is only rumours, but I wanted to find out as much as possible to be prepared.
We have found an assessor thanks to a kind BE member, you know who you are So if it does go this way we will be ready!
Old May 1st 2008, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future

my partner is a telephone engineer and doesnt have that qualifaction but he passed TRA, his dad has his own business in this and he worked for him till he was about 17-18 and since then he has worked for telewest (now virgin media) and it was all on the job training.
When we got our case officer, we did get asked for extra info and references on his job as it changed over and they found it confusing (plus he is actually paid by another firm, sort of contracted out to them but on perm basis)

All extra info was sent months ago and ours meds and police checks sent on the 7th april, so waiting to hear on anything else now, fingers crossed will not be long, considering app was lodged on 5th july 07 (or was it june, i have lost all sense of time..lol)

i am off on my hols on the 14th may, going to my parents in dubai for 2-3 months, so once we hear about visa i will either celebrate and go on to validate our visas in oz or just beg my dad for a job!!!

good luck
Old May 1st 2008, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Watty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to all

Originally Posted by taylor25
my partner is a telephone engineer and doesnt have that qualifaction but he passed TRA, his dad has his own business in this and he worked for him till he was about 17-18 and since then he has worked for telewest (now virgin media) and it was all on the job training.
When we got our case officer, we did get asked for extra info and references on his job as it changed over and they found it confusing (plus he is actually paid by another firm, sort of contracted out to them but on perm basis)

All extra info was sent months ago and ours meds and police checks sent on the 7th april, so waiting to hear on anything else now, fingers crossed will not be long, considering app was lodged on 5th july 07 (or was it june, i have lost all sense of time..lol)

i am off on my hols on the 14th may, going to my parents in dubai for 2-3 months, so once we hear about visa i will either celebrate and go on to validate our visas in oz or just beg my dad for a job!!!

good luck
For australian liscene go to www.howtodoit.org - email trevor via the site and ask for RPL for open liscence training - he will tell you everything you need for convertion to australian working - thecourse is online - he gave me a complete RPL so all i have to do is aconvert to ozzie working standards moduel - about $300 all done!!!
Old May 1st 2008, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Watty'n'Arls
For australian liscene go to www.howtodoit.org - email trevor via the site and ask for RPL for open liscence training - he will tell you everything you need for convertion to australian working - thecourse is online - he gave me a complete RPL so all i have to do is aconvert to ozzie working standards moduel - about $300 all done!!!
I'm going to save this info incase we ever get there, thanks so much for that!
Old May 1st 2008, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

STREAKY is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the info,so does this certificate given as rpl,once passed count as a license to work in telecom in aus,or is it step up the ladder and other certs are required before you can work,thanks