Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Nursing immigration requirements! Hep b vaccinations!

Nursing immigration requirements! Hep b vaccinations!

Old Jan 31st 2014, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Cadit2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Nursing immigration requirements! Hep b vaccinations!

Hi,

I hope someone can help me!

I am a student nurse in the UK and I hope to move to Queensland to nurse in a few years. However I have a bit of a problem. I have had one full run of Hep B vaccinations which have not worked. I have just started my second course today. If my second course of Hep B vaccinations doesn't work, am I able to still emigrate to Queensland? All the nursing job requirements in Queensland require Hep B vaccinations but I was wondering if anyone knew the standpoint if you had had the vaccinations which did not provide you with immunity.

Hope someone can help and thank you for your time
Old Jan 31st 2014, 9:36 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing immigration requirements! Hep b vaccinations!

Originally Posted by Cadit2005
Hi,

I am a student nurse in the UK and I hope to move to Queensland to nurse in a few years. However I have a bit of a problem. I have had one full run of Hep B vaccinations which have not worked. I have just started my second course today. If my second course of Hep B vaccinations doesn't work, am I able to still emigrate to Queensland? All the nursing job requirements in Queensland require Hep B vaccinations but I was wondering if anyone knew the standpoint if you had had the vaccinations which did not provide you with immunity.

Hi and welcome to BE

I don't know anything about the vaccinations, but there is a specific nursing forum - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72 - the members in there might be able to help
Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

To be honest I think its a question you would need to pose to Queensland Health, directly, and/or to the agencies and private hospitals in which you might work.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I think you maybe getting a little ahead of yourself here. A "vaccine non-responder" is a person who does not develop protective surface antibodies after completing two full series of the hepatitis B vaccine and for whom an acute or chronic hepatitis B infection has been ruled out. I understand that there may be as many as 15% of the population who do not respond. I would hang tight for another 6 months and wait for the titer to determine if you are still not responding. This is not an uncommon problem, and something that healthcare providers/organizations are familiar with. I find it hard to believe that you would be prevented from practicing, more likely, as a non responder, you would need to sign a waiver absolving your employer of any liability should you contract Hep B. In the meantime...don't worry until you have to!