Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Nurse wishing to Migrate to Aus - Where to start?

Nurse wishing to Migrate to Aus - Where to start?

Old Aug 5th 2012, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

webbmanjones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nurse wishing to Migrate to Aus - Where to start?

Hi Guys

My names Mark, I'm a nurse with over 16 years experience here in Blighty, been thinking about a move to Queensland for years, but where to start?

Any fellow nurses who can offer any good advice on where to start?

Thanks
Mark
Old Aug 5th 2012, 9:39 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurse wishing to Migrate to Aus - Where to start?

Originally Posted by webbmanjones View Post
Hi Guys

My names Mark, I'm a nurse with over 16 years experience here in Blighty, been thinking about a move to Queensland for years, but where to start?

Thanks
Mark
www.immi.gov.au
Old Aug 5th 2012, 9:56 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Thanks
Mark
Hi & welcome to the forum.

Firstly, you should have a look at the visa wizard to see if you're eligible for a visa. If you are, then you would need to get your skills assessed - which should be done by ANMAC for a nurse (I'm not a nurse, so I don't know much about the process for nurses). There will undoubtedly be a lot of information on the subject in the nursing part of the forum. If you are a British passport holder, you wouldn't need to take the IELTS test for the visa application as you can use your passport as evidence (again, I don't know if you'll need to take IELTS for the skills assessment or for when you register). A lot of people find that they need the extra points & so do the test anyway. Especially important as just meeting the points mark of sixty doesn't guarantee an invite. So the more points, the better! Once you have a positive skills assessment & proof of English language ability, you can then submit an expression of interest (EoI). You can select as many visas on there as you like (the EoI is free of charge by the way). If you are interested in state sponsorship, you should check out the state sponsorship websites to see if your occupation is on their state migration plans (SMP). If you do decide to go for state sponsorship, you would need to live and work in that state for two years. Have a look at the visa requirements for more details. If you are invited to apply, then you can lodge a visa application. The current cost of the visa is AUD $3060 (about £2080).

At some point down the line, you would need to take a medical at one of the places authorised by DIAC (there's a list of the facilities & costs here - always double check the cost though, as they are subject to change). You would also need to obtain a police check (PCC) from ACPO Criminal Records Office. The form and cost is changing tomorrow, so there's no point in me listing the current cost. It is not wise to get the meds or PCC until requested though, as they only have a limited validity (usually a year).

I've probably not explained this very well, but I hope it helps.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Wow, thanks guys!

Ok so Iran the wizard and got this back,

Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) visa - Direct Entry stream

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187) visa - Direct Entry stream

Skilled - Independent (subclass 189) visa

Its seems I am eligable fr all al the above! great.

So.. can anyone advice on the next step? you mentioned AHPRA, is this a body I need to register with? what do they do?
Old Aug 5th 2012, 10:42 am

mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, thanks guys!

So.. can anyone advice on the next step? you mentioned AHPRA, is this a body I need to register with? what do they do?
The 189 is good, as it's a permanent residence visa & you wouldn't be tied to one particular state or employer.

ANMAC is the skills assessment body. I think you would need to register with the Nursing & Midwifery Board. Again though, I am not certain about the process for nurses, so I'm in unfamiliar waters! Have a look at the nursing part of the forum that I mentioned in my last post.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Awesome, thanks again all, I have posted in the nurses section
Old Aug 5th 2012, 11:02 am

Awesome, thanks again all, I have posted in the nurses section
No problem. Good luck!
Old Aug 6th 2012, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

asmgx is an unknown quantity at this point

there is a special visa for doctors and nurses.
look at this http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/medical-practitioners/
Old Aug 6th 2012, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, I'm sure the visas for nurses are the same as for any other profession. They may be looked on favourably due to shortages in that area, but they are not a 'special visa' x
Old Aug 6th 2012, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Shenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant future

Wow, thanks guys!

Hi yes you will need to register with AHPRA http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov...rnational.aspx

When you have gathered everything and are ready to apply have a look at the nursing forum under employment( I think) and there are comments as to which state is processing fastest, normally not NSW or Vic as it does not matter what state you apply as its now nation wide registration. It can take anywhere from a month or so up to 12 months.

IELTS with AHPRA is only needed if you have not had 5 years of being taught in English.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shenni View Post
Hi yes you will need to register with AHPRA http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov...rnational.aspx

IELTS with AHPRA is only needed if you have not had 5 years of being taught in English.

Hang on.. so I have been working for 11 years here in England, this means I dont need the AHPRA or IELTS?

So if dont need this how do i proceed?

This ontradicts everything everyone else is saying?

Confused
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Shenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant future

Hang on.. so I have been working for 11 years here in England, this means I dont need the AHPRA or IELTS?

Confused
Hi webmanjones,

you may need it for a skills test but if you can prove in the form of a stat dec and certificates that you have been taught in english for a period of 5 years minimum then no you do not need an IELTS result.

How do you proceed ........ start collecting all the docs that the site state they require, do not apply for your uni transcript or NMC stuff until you are nearly ready to post your complete application off to AHPRA as they do not keep those two and as it costs money to get them both its wasted if you apply for them first.

Please also take note of how AHPRA require your CV to be laid out, its specific for them.

Most on here have found that a JP at the magistraits court to be the cheapest, most charge £25 admin fee and again they have to be certified as per the wording on the AHPRA site so its a good idea to take a copy along with you when you get that far.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

GilraenH has a spectacular aura aboutGilraenH has a spectacular aura aboutGilraenH has a spectacular aura about

Confused
You keep asking the same thing in different threads in different forums that is why you are getting different answers.

Mark you do need IELTS if you were not educated in or born in UK/Ireland? You need IELTS for skills assessment if you want an independent visa. You will not get an independent visa without one. APHRA is not necessary for independent visa.

You can get APHRA at any stage and have to before getting a job as a nurse in Oz.

APHRA will allow you around a year to complete registration, but it it takes longer than a year to get your visa that might be difficult for you.

Others wait until a little into the visa application so they don't run into that difficulty.