British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Nurse wanting to move to Sydney (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/nurse-wanting-move-sydney-848188/)

Teeny84 Dec 3rd 2014 4:32 pm

Nurse wanting to move to Sydney

Hi there,

Hoping to get advice on what to do and the likely costs of moving to Sydney, Australia.

I am a newly qualified nurse, currently working in the Emergency Assessment unit and my boyfriend is a photographer who can also do web development.

From what I can gather both our professions are on the list of wanted professions but I don't know how to go about getting a sponsorship or applying for nursing jobs. If there are even any :( I am also considering doing Midwifery after I have my years experience in EAU and be duel qualified/registered and hope this will improve my chances.

Any into would be appreciated.

Bermudashorts Dec 3rd 2014 7:59 pm

Re: Nurse wanting to move to Sydney

Photographer is only on the consolidated skills list which means sponsorship would be required for your OH. None of the state governments are sponsoring at the moment, so he would need to find employer sponsorship, which I would assume is quite unlikely.

So your boyfriend is very unlikely to secure a visa, however if you are a defacto couple rather than boyfriend, then he would be able to come on your application. Do you live together? And if so for how long have you done so?

In terms of next steps, I wouldn't recommend trying to find sponsorship or a job. That would be "doing it the hard way" in my book. It used ot be easy for nurses to find sponsorship, but not so any more. And in any case, sponsorship leads to a temporary visa and binds you to an employer.

I would strongly recommend you look at skilled migration, read about the 189 visa on Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

The steps you need to take are: Academic IELTS, skills assessment with ANMAC, lodge expression of interest with immigration, lodge visa application when invited to do so.

Teeny84 Dec 3rd 2014 9:13 pm

We do live together, since October last year, but he went to Ibiza for the summer to work as a photographer for the season. He is only my boyfriend, we aren't engaged or married. It was the 189 visa I was thinking we would have to get, which I think was over £2,000 for me or if I was able to put him on it as well then just over £3,000 for both of us.

Was starting to think it was getting more difficult to get over for nurses, from what I have read :( Want to go to Sydney as my boyfriend has 2 mates who are already over there working, and they would be willing to give us somewhere to live until we got set up.

Thank you for your message :)

Grayling Dec 3rd 2014 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Teeny84 (Post 11491809)
We do live together, since October last year, but he went to Ibiza for the summer to work as a photographer for the season. He is only my boyfriend, we aren't engaged or married. It was the 189 visa I was thinking we would have to get, which I think was over £2,000 for me or if I was able to put him on it as well then just over £3,000 for both of us.

Was starting to think it was getting more difficult to get over for nurses, from what I have read :( Want to go to Sydney as my boyfriend has 2 mates who are already over there working, and they would be willing to give us somewhere to live until we got set up.

Are you degree trained?

Bermudashorts Dec 3rd 2014 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Teeny84 (Post 11491809)

It isn't more difficult to get a 189 visa, it is more difficult to get sponsorship.

I think you could have some problems getting your boyfriend on your visa as he does sound like a boyfriend not a defacto partner. But that is only based on limited information. Is he back living with you now? Had he been sending money to you whilst he was away for joint finances? You essentially need to prove that you are married in all but name, husbands do sometimes work away if required, but usually they would be paying to run the family home whilst they do so.

In terms of where to live, I would encourage you to think beyond where you can get a sofa or a spare room for a few weeks. There is nothing wrong with Sydney, I live here myself, but it is very expensive and where to live is a big decision that needs to be weighed up carefully.

Bermudashorts Dec 3rd 2014 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 11491814)
Are you degree trained?

Good point.

Grayling Dec 3rd 2014 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 11491822)
Good point.

At this stage the most important one

Grayling Dec 3rd 2014 9:46 pm

Teeny....are you degree trained?.....if not then you are going to have a lot of trouble registering as a nurse in Australia.....and the rest is irrelevant.