British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   No Surname in Wife's name/passport..need advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/no-surname-wifes-name-passport-need-advice-687823/)

aman_sharma2k1 Oct 2nd 2010 8:04 am

No Surname in Wife's name/passport..need advice

Dear friends,

I have AUS PR and my wife is in the process of applying for spouse visa.

I have almost all the information, but I am again stuck at one point.

There is no Surname in my wife's passport. Only first name. Actually same is the case in birth certificate. So only one word name in passport.

I still remember, almost everywhere, DIAC ask for surname. What if a person does not have Surname? Then? Off course she can get it endorsed in her passport, using my surname, but again it's a long process in India. So I am not thinking about this option.

As partner visa is a paper based application, we can easily skip surname, but still I think it's gonna stuck somewhere whenever any DIAC is going to enter the information in the computer.

So I request you to guide me, is it necessary to have Surname to get Australian visa?

Please advice.

Thanks
A-maaaannn

pumpkin blossom Oct 2nd 2010 8:31 am

Re: No Surname in Wife's name/passport..need advice

As this is BritishExpats, most of us on here are from Britain where we all have surnames, so we are unlikely to have come across this situation at all (or probably understand exactly how that can happen).

You should really look at finding a migration agent who can help you with this.

Bermudashorts Oct 2nd 2010 9:40 am

Yes I have to agree with pumpkin blossom, you are asking in the wrong place. The scenario you describe would simply not happen in the uk, there is no way somebody would just have their firsty name on their passport or birth certificate.

aman_sharma2k1 Oct 2nd 2010 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8891063)
Yes I have to agree with pumpkin blossom, you are asking in the wrong place. The scenario you describe would simply not happen in the uk, there is no way somebody would just have their firsty name on their passport or birth certificate.

Yes, I know...I am just trying my luck..or may be you guys could advice me something from your experience.

Dorothy Oct 2nd 2010 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by aman_sharma2k1 (Post 8891253)
Yes, I know...I am just trying my luck..or may be you guys could advice me something from your experience.

None of us here would have experience of just having one name in our passports. In western countries people (including women) have a first name and a surname.

aman_sharma2k1 Oct 2nd 2010 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8891331)
None of us here would have experience of just having one name in our passports. In western countries people (including women) have a first name and a surname.

Yes Dorothy...I know!

May be someone from other country who has same case could advice me something!

A--maannn

pumpkin blossom Oct 2nd 2010 1:30 pm

There are not too many on here from other countries (again as it is BRITISH expats). Are there any forums like this from the country you are from? You would probably have far more luck on one of those. I have been reading these boards a long time and don't remember ever seeing anyone else in your situation.

Have you considered a migration agent? It sounds like it would be worth the money as if you DO have to somehow get a surname, and that takes a long time, at least you can start it ASAP.

Good luck

aman_sharma2k1 Oct 2nd 2010 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom (Post 8891362)
There are not too many on here from other countries (again as it is BRITISH expats). Are there any forums like this from the country you are from? You would probably have far more luck on one of those. I have been reading these boards a long time and don't remember ever seeing anyone else in your situation.

Have you considered a migration agent? It sounds like it would be worth the money as if you DO have to somehow get a surname, and that takes a long time, at least you can start it ASAP.

Good luck

I know it is BRITISH expats...but no harm in looking for some advice.

I am considering the option of adding Surname of my wife in passport, meanwhile I am also in touch with migration agent. Hope to listen from him very soon.

seban123 Oct 4th 2010 5:25 am

My wife's full name is appearing as First name in her passport. We are applying for the visa by keeping the Surname as blank.. (as it appears in passport)

aman_sharma2k1 Oct 4th 2010 5:27 am

Originally Posted by seban123 (Post 8894018)
My wife's full name is appearing as First name in her passport. We are applying for the visa by keeping the Surname as blank.. (as it appears in passport)

But if it's online application you will not be able to apply..as in online application Surname is required, you cannot keep it blank.

Bermudashorts Oct 4th 2010 5:39 am

Originally Posted by aman_sharma2k1 (Post 8891379)
I know it is BRITISH expats...but no harm in looking for some advice.

At risk of flogging a dead horse here, but whilst BE posters help people of all nationalities for all kinds of reasons, it is truly inconceivable, no it is beyond inconceivable it is downright impossible, that the situation you describe would occur in the UK so nobody would have any experience of it. You might be underestimating how bizarre the situation you are describing sounds to us. :p

aman_sharma2k1 Oct 4th 2010 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8894030)
At risk of flogging a dead horse here, but whilst BE posters help people of all nationalities for all kinds of reasons, it is truly inconceivable, no it is beyond inconceivable it is downright impossible, that the situation you describe would occur in the UK so nobody would have any experience of it. You might be underestimating how bizarre the situation you are describing sounds to us. :p

I do understand....but u can see one reply in this thread..same is the case with that poster..So it happens in Indian passports...

Anyways..I am in touch with my Mara agent..I hope to listen from him soon..

Pollyana Oct 4th 2010 7:26 am

Originally Posted by aman_sharma2k1 (Post 8894045)
I do understand....but u can see one reply in this thread..same is the case with that poster..So it happens in Indian passports...

You really need to get the answer either direct from DIAC or from a migration agent. If she is applying for a spouse visa she will not applying online anyway as they are paper based applications.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Oct 4th 2010 7:27 am

All the Indians I have to deal with have names like Satish Kumar Prasanna Chintakindi so I wish more of them only had one name.

pumpkin blossom Oct 4th 2010 7:31 am

Originally Posted by aman_sharma2k1 (Post 8894045)

I actually read that as being different to your situation. I read it to be saying the wife of that person has two names, but that they are both listed under the first name.....
I assume the same as us from the UK having a middle name?

And that reply didn't actually help you at all, just left you with more questions. ;)

Make use of your agent, that is what you are paying them for. :)