Wikiposts

No IT Jobs in Oz, what's your opinion?

Old May 22nd 2002, 3:20 am
Jonny Deng

Default No IT Jobs in Oz, what's your opinion?

Hi,

I had read on the net numerous comments that there is rare IT jobs in Oz. Is it true?

Can someone who migrated to Oz give us who'd like to migrate to Oz some advice?

Anything, encouraging or discouraging is welcome.

Thanks Jonny

Old May 22nd 2002, 8:20 am
Lana

Default Re: No IT Jobs in Oz, what's your opinion?

Good question, that's what I wanna know too.

I hear people complaining on IT sites, but these are the same people who think that a
$20/hour Java position is a humiliating offer, because "a lawn mower in Sydney makes
more than that". We would jump at an offer like that. So, are there no jobs
whatsoever, are there fewer jobs, or are there only jobs for very qualified people?
What is the problem exactly?

Lana

[email protected] (Jonny Deng) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I had read on the net numerous comments that there is rare IT jobs in Oz. Is
    > it true?
    >
    > Can someone who migrated to Oz give us who'd like to migrate to Oz some advice?
    >
    > Anything, encouraging or discouraging is welcome.
    >
    > Thanks Jonny

Old May 22nd 2002, 10:20 am
Ctg

As an IT Consultant who has moved from NZ to here, I 'd say No it is not as good as
it was last year..... Market is slow Contractors more becoming Full timers....

Check Candle australia site or other sites( www.ambit.com.au)

to see what I mean

"Lana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Good question, that's what I wanna know too.
    >
    > I hear people complaining on IT sites, but these are the same people who think that
    > a $20/hour Java position is a humiliating offer, because "a lawn mower in Sydney
    > makes more than that". We would jump at an offer like that. So, are there no jobs
    > whatsoever, are there fewer jobs, or are there only jobs for very qualified people?
    > What is the problem exactly?
    >
    >
    > Lana
    >
    > [email protected] (Jonny Deng) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I had read on the net numerous comments that there is rare IT jobs in Oz. Is
    > > it true?
    > >
    > > Can someone who migrated to Oz give us who'd like to migrate to Oz some advice?
    > >
    > > Anything, encouraging or discouraging is welcome.
    > >
    > > Thanks Jonny

Old May 22nd 2002, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

There are some jobs here in Sydney, but not many. You may have a long wait to find what you want. I know some MCSE guys who have gone home because they can't find anything and I know some guys who are earning $40 an hour and they are doing PC support. Depends what you do I suppose.
Old May 23rd 2002, 1:20 am
Kapila

www.visacorp.com.au says they can help you to find a sponsor in Australia (corporate
or state/regional). Kaps.

"CTG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] u>...
    > As an IT Consultant who has moved from NZ to here, I 'd say No it is not as good as
    > it was last year..... Market is slow Contractors more becoming Full timers....
    >
    > Check Candle australia site or other sites( www.ambit.com.au)
    >
    > to see what I mean
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > "Lana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Good question, that's what I wanna know too.
    > >
    > > I hear people complaining on IT sites, but these are the same people who think
    > > that a $20/hour Java position is a humiliating offer, because "a lawn mower in
    > > Sydney makes more than that". We would jump at an offer like that. So, are there
    > > no jobs whatsoever, are there fewer jobs, or are there only jobs for very
    > > qualified people? What is the problem exactly?
    > >
    > >
    > > Lana
    > >
    > > [email protected] (Jonny Deng) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I had read on the net numerous comments that there is rare IT jobs in Oz. Is it
    > > > true?
    > > >
    > > > Can someone who migrated to Oz give us who'd like to migrate to Oz some advice?
    > > >
    > > > Anything, encouraging or discouraging is welcome.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks Jonny

Old May 23rd 2002, 4:20 am
Thunder Ace

onlyme <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > There are some jobs here in Sydney, but not many. You may have a long wait to find
    > what you want. I know some MCSE guys who have gone home because they can't find
    > anything and I know some guys who are earning $40 an hour and they are doing PC
    > support. Depends what you do I suppose.

I don't give a damn about the IT situation! My decision to move to Oz is not
dependant upon getting IT work, and I suspect the majority of us are in the same
boat. I just want to get there, and working in IT is convenient because it allows me
to get a visa. If I have to drive a truck or pick grapes to get by, then so what?

Thunder Ace

Old May 23rd 2002, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Thats about my attitude ThunderAce...dont really give a stuff what I do really....all a means to an end really...as long as I can eat, have a roof over my head and run my bike then who cares!
Old May 23rd 2002, 6:20 am
Protect The Inn

Couldn't agree more and to be honest, IT is such a fickle industry, that I would
welcome a change of career to <whatever>.

Anyone got any ideas on what Australia is like for giving people trying to change
careers, a chance?

"Thunder Ace" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > onlyme <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > There are some jobs here in Sydney, but not many. You may have a long wait to
    > > find what you want. I know some MCSE guys who have gone home because they can't
    > > find anything and I know some guys who are earning $40 an hour and they are doing
    > > PC support. Depends what you do I suppose.
    >
    > I don't give a damn about the IT situation! My decision to move to Oz is not
    > dependant upon getting IT work, and I suspect the majority of us are in the same
    > boat. I just want to get there, and working in IT is convenient because it
    > allows me to get a visa. If I have to drive a truck or pick grapes to get by,
    > then so what?
    >
    > Thunder Ace

Old May 23rd 2002, 6:46 am
col
BE Enthusiast

col is an unknown quantity at this point

Me too!!!!

Stuff the IT it's a means to an end.
Earn enough to feed me the wife and kids I'll sleep in a bloody tent!!!!
MRFibbleUK won't it be nice to run a bike all year with out being wet cold and miserable for 80% of it!!!!

Col
Old May 23rd 2002, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Too right col.......aaarr the stuff of dreams!!!...a summer that has..sunshine.....long roads...just you and the bike......mmmmm
Old May 23rd 2002, 9:20 am
Lana

CTG and Onlyme,

Thanks for the answers. I realize it's not as good as last year - I think this is
happening all over the world. We have tons of unemployed friends here too.

But there are plenty of offers online and on newspapers. I realize that 700 people
apply for each offer, but I also see people (unemployed people in IT boards) claiming
that most of those offers are dummy offers, and that a real job doesn't exist. Don't
these ads cost around $100? So I think it's hard to believe that a recruiting company
would place 7-8 dummy ads every month, especially if the market is as bad as I hear
(when the market is bad, people send resumes to recruiting companies without any
offer!). So, what is your opinion on that? Are at least some of these offers real?

Lana

onlyme <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > There are some jobs here in Sydney, but not many. You may have a long wait to find
    > what you want. I know some MCSE guys who have gone home because they can't find
    > anything and I know some guys who are earning $40 an hour and they are doing PC
    > support. Depends what you do I suppose.

Old May 23rd 2002, 4:20 pm
Chartres

> I had read on the net numerous comments that there is rare IT jobs in Oz. Is
    > it true?
    >
Well, the situation is just worse than it was a couple of years ago. But... you may
try to look for something in www.jobnet.com.au

There are a lot of dummy stuff there, but still 15% could be real.

By the way, Employment Agencies do post dummy ads. And they post them in great
numbers. Just to keep ther DBs updated. Still, there are some real jobs ther.

Cheers

Old May 23rd 2002, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road

I agree with the blokes who said that they were fed up with IT anyway, as that is exactly how I feel. I am handing in my notice TODAY at a firm I have worked with for 9 years ! (and, yes, I do feel a tad nervous about this !).

Frankly, I am really looking forward to a break from the IT industry. I would like to get an IT job in Aus from the money point of view but I think it would do me the world of good to do something different - a more satisfying career, selling hot dogs perhaps......

GW
Old May 23rd 2002, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

jonnydeng is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gareth,

Wish you all the best in your next career.

Was it because bad experience in IT that you were handling in your notice or is it because the company did not do well in this difficult time?

I notice that since dot.com crash, IT has not been doing well. Few customers (few jobs) and a lot of IT professionals.

Regards,
Jonny
Old May 23rd 2002, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road

Johnny.

I'm resigning from my IT job in Britain in order to go to Australia. The company I work for is doing fine. I just feel that after 11 years in IT, I'm ready for a change and I might try something different in Australia.

Hopefully, the IT industry in Aus should pick up again soon and I might have the option of going back into IT if I want to.

Thanks for the good wishes.

GW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.