Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

NICU nurse wanting to start the process but feeling disheartened before I start!

NICU nurse wanting to start the process but feeling disheartened before I start!

Old Feb 18th 2015, 10:26 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NICU nurse wanting to start the process but feeling disheartened before I start!

Originally Posted by jimbo14
I can see now nerves could blow it for some people, but beyond investigating what the exam would consist of and just going through the basic practice questions for around 30 minutes, I didn't do any practice. I just turned up and went for it.

The one thing that could trip up native speakers is the written part of the test, because from memory, that requires you to write a couple of short essays. If essay writing is not your forte, then I could understand people struggling.I wouldn't say it's mine, but I'm degree-level educated so it's not like I haven't had to write essays before. Regarding dyslexia, I could see how the reading and writing parts could be a problem, but it seems if you give your test centre notice, IELTs allow for this:

http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_inf...ial_needs.aspx

I honestly never got the impression they were actively testing perfect spelling and grammar though - more the level of your ability to communicate in and comprehend English. This is why it's surprised me to learn that native speakers do have problems.
My ex husband is degree level educated as well - 25 years ago. However he falls on the autism spectrum and finds language very difficult (his degree is in electronic engineering). He struggles to find the words he wants to use in conversation so can come across as not proficient in speaking. He finds writing difficult because again, he struggles to find the words. He's never liked to read unless it's a technical manual of some sort. Books? Not so much. Although I am pretty sure he could achieve a passing grade on the IELTS, it would be extremely difficult for him and he most certainly would not pass on the first attempt.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 12:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NICU nurse wanting to start the process but feeling disheartened before I start!

Originally Posted by louie
Have to say I wouldn't want to be looked after by a nurse who had failed IELTS 4 times, never mind 12 times. I can live with the idea of tradesmen failing, but nurses? Nurses who have to be able to communicate with their patients and doctors, administer drugs, read and write patient records etc. Nurses who must have studied and passed exams at the beginning of their careers and who presumably have to keep their technical knowledge up to date. I find that very worrying.
Technical knowledge yes, but essay writing and English grammar? Some nurses qualified 20 years ago and have been near an English textbook since. dens't mean they cannot do their job.

I have bigger issues with people like a doctor I saw recently who struggled to communicate in even basic English, so much so that I had to go back to my GP and get them to clarify everything for me with the consultant. I just could not understand their pidgin English - and he was supposed to have passed IELTS to get into Aus, as he said he had only been here 3 years......
Old Feb 19th 2015, 3:31 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

The notion that having a Uni degree automatically equates to a superior knowledge of the English language makes me laugh.

I can't count the number of 3rd and 4th year undergraduate essays I've read that contain errors in basic spelling and grammar - such as the author being unable to differentiate between they're, there and their, its and it's, your and you're, two, to and too, affect and effect, advice and advise - I could go on for hours

Incorrect use of capital letters, tortured syntax, double negatives - used to drive me barmy.

I'm sure that some Uni gradutes have fantastic written and spoken English skills. I'm equally sure that some don't.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

One of my good friendds in Oz is married to a nurse ( a Kiwi). He is a smart guy, not degree educated but easily could have been. He ran his own business and is now a director of an IT company.

His wife is as dumb as a box of hammers in comparison. She wanted to be a nurse but couldn't get the application right. Her husband compiled her application and she got in. I think she did ok on hospital days but really struggled at uni.

My mate did all the research for her degree and as far as I can tell, wrote nearly all of her assignments. I still don't know how she passed but she did and she is a nurse. She does the minimum required so she doesn't have to pay the uni fee back.

I wouldn't want her anywhere near me in a medical situation. We were at a bbq at their house not long after her graduation, his wife was out of earshot and another friend there turned to my mate and said ' hey congratulations on your degree'.

We were all, my mate was all . It didn't end well
Old Feb 19th 2015, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

nursekelly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Hi Kelly,

I have moved this to the immi forum for you. Hopefully you will receive an answer to your IELTS question soon.
Thanks Alfresco, appreciate your help
Old Feb 19th 2015, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

nursekelly is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your helpful comments and posts
Kelly
Old Mar 30th 2015, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

We came over in 2009. We sold our house at the bottom of the market at the height of the GFC. We only spent about £7,000 to get here.
I had a job lined up with free accommodation and had my PR Status sorted before we left the UK.
It is worth it! Nursing here, in Qld is a better job than back home..
HKA
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Veronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond repute

The IELTS general test is not easy and the academic test is even harder! From experience with our clients I can confirm that this is the case even for degree educated individuals; many have to take the test a number of times in order to score the right points. Do not underestimate the test and do prepare. There are plenty of resources available online, including on You Tube. Some Colleges even offer training sessions, for a small fee, and many of our clients have found these very useful.

As for applying as a nurse, there have been a number of changes to the registration (not skills assessment) requirements for nurses who want to work in Australia. These changes mean that many UK diploma qualified nurses are not able to obtain registration in Australia. And we understand that the skills assessing authority is now telling such applicants that they will not issue a skills assessment until they can show that they are able to register. You have mentioned that you have a degree, so you will probably be fine, but I thought I'd mention this anyway.

Also, you mentioned that Paediatric Nurses are not able to apply? This doesn't really make sense. As far as I am aware Paediatric Registered Nurses are listed on the SOL as well as the CSOL so you should be able to apply for a 189 or 190 visa, as long as you score the right points and meet all other criteria.

Best of luck!