News on Pathway D

Old Jul 12th 2008, 7:03 pm
  #16  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: essex
Posts: 9
Paulyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Originally Posted by tracey turney View Post
hi anybody a hairdresser from 1980's with city & guilds qualifications and doing perm res
Hi george

Im a self employed plasterer from the uk and have a nvq level 2, and also have 5 years experienceof working with another company before i became self employed, I was told that i would need an oz equivalant qualification that can be gained here in the uk but would cost £2000, is this still true given the new pathway, or if i applied for citizeship based on skilled migration does my english qualification be ok along with my experience.

thanks
Paul
Paulyboy is offline  
Old Jul 12th 2008, 11:04 pm
  #17  
Reg. Migration Agent
Thread Starter
 
George Lombard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Inner Western suburbs of Sydney
Posts: 4,483
George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Originally Posted by Paulyboy View Post
Hi george

Im a self employed plasterer from the uk and have a nvq level 2, and also have 5 years experienceof working with another company before i became self employed, I was told that i would need an oz equivalant qualification that can be gained here in the uk but would cost £2000, is this still true given the new pathway, or if i applied for citizeship based on skilled migration does my english qualification be ok along with my experience.

thanks
Paul
Hi Paul,

2000 quid for a qualification? I can't comment on that, but it does seem that the new TRA rules are going to let NVQ holders in, if they've got sufficient work experience. The unknown at this stage is what NVQ - most likely NVQ2, but possibly NVQ3. There are a great number of issues, not the least of which is that a large number of Australian training institutions have been gearing up to provide equivalency testing but only some are going to be allowed in under this mechanism, as it stands. My advice at this stage is to wait until the dust settles.

Cheers,

George Lombard
George Lombard is offline  
Old Jul 12th 2008, 11:46 pm
  #18  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: essex
Posts: 9
Paulyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Originally Posted by George Lombard View Post
Hi Paul,

2000 quid for a qualification? I can't comment on that, but it does seem that the new TRA rules are going to let NVQ holders in, if they've got sufficient work experience. The unknown at this stage is what NVQ - most likely NVQ2, but possibly NVQ3. There are a great number of issues, not the least of which is that a large number of Australian training institutions have been gearing up to provide equivalency testing but only some are going to be allowed in under this mechanism, as it stands. My advice at this stage is to wait until the dust settles.

Cheers,

George Lombard
hi george
thanks mate, i now wish i didnt use my working holiday visa up few years back but in a way its led me to what i do today via owning my own business.
When is this new pathway gonna be set in stone and what is the cost involved for emigration should we qualify from beginning to end and would a drink driving conviction for being a little bit under twice over the limit stop me being aloud in ( i drove the day after the night before thinking i was ok back in 2004) and from when you apply how long do you have to wait till you hear if you have been accepted as i would be a little disappointed waiting like 6 months to then get rejected if i was too.
cheers buddy
paul
Paulyboy is offline  
Old Jul 13th 2008, 1:57 am
  #19  
Reg. Migration Agent
Thread Starter
 
George Lombard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Inner Western suburbs of Sydney
Posts: 4,483
George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Originally Posted by Paulyboy View Post
hi george
thanks mate, i now wish i didnt use my working holiday visa up few years back but in a way its led me to what i do today via owning my own business.
When is this new pathway gonna be set in stone and what is the cost involved for emigration should we qualify from beginning to end and would a drink driving conviction for being a little bit under twice over the limit stop me being aloud in ( i drove the day after the night before thinking i was ok back in 2004) and from when you apply how long do you have to wait till you hear if you have been accepted as i would be a little disappointed waiting like 6 months to then get rejected if i was too.
cheers buddy
paul
Hi Paul,

Read this thread, it's basically all we know about pathway D under the new MAP. On your other issues I'd need to advise you privately.

Cheers,

George Lombard
George Lombard is offline  
Old Jul 13th 2008, 4:18 am
  #20  
Migration Agent
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Posts: 6,452
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News on Pathway D

I attended a migration agents' seminar in Melbourne last Tuesday at which the Director and Assistant Director of TRA presented the new MAP, and responded to questions and "observations" from the floor.

I also took the opportunity to ask questions of the presenters afterwards.

For those in the UK I fear we are not going to achieve a great deal more certainty than we have now, beyond it being made quite clear at the presentation that an application based purely on work experience is a non starter.

In other words those applicants who have been hoping for a return of Skill Pathway D or an equivalent should reconcile themselves to the fact that they will now need to have a suitable qualification or licence that will validate their competencies.

Importantly, there is not going to be a list of "formally recognised qualifications" (at least not in the foreseeable future - see clause 7.4.2 in George's posting above), so applicants are left with the question of whether to go with an application based on a UK qualification or licence, or to incur the costs of a workplace assessment leading to an AQF Certificate III.

I quizzed the TRA people on NVQ2s (a subject dear to my heart), and was advised that "each case will be looked at individually and on its own merits".

The reality borne out of our own experience though (and I left the presentation with the view that this will not change under the new Skills Streams) is that a well documented application from a UK based individual with a NVQ2 (or indeed some other related licence/qualification - so long as supporting documentation is provided that evidences the technical requirements that had to be satisfied to attain the licence/qualification), together with related documentation that evidences skilled employment and/or a skills transition is likely to be successful.

Finally, trade skills applicants that have undertaken formal training, have attained some form of qualification outside Australia, and who want to optimise their chances of a successful application to TRA without committing to a reasonably expensive UK workplace assessment should consider engaging a competent agent who has lodged a significant number of applications with TRA in the past. I know George is one. We are another:
http://www.gomatilda.com/contact.cfm#ouroffices

Best regards.

Last edited by Alan Collett; Jul 13th 2008 at 4:20 am.
Alan Collett is offline  
Old Jul 13th 2008, 3:19 pm
  #21  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 6
stefan booth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Hi George

I failed my TRA on the basis that I did not do a formal apprenticeship. I have been working as a boilermaker for 10 years, but received my training on the job and have never completed any official qualifications. I have been told I need to apply for an ARTC (australian recognised trade certificate) Have you heard of this?

Do you know if this is the best route and how I would go about putting an application together?

Any help/advice would be great.
Cheers
Stefan
stefan booth is offline  
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:24 pm
  #22  
Reg. Migration Agent
Thread Starter
 
George Lombard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Inner Western suburbs of Sydney
Posts: 4,483
George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Originally Posted by stefan booth View Post
Hi George

I failed my TRA on the basis that I did not do a formal apprenticeship. I have been working as a boilermaker for 10 years, but received my training on the job and have never completed any official qualifications. I have been told I need to apply for an ARTC (australian recognised trade certificate) Have you heard of this?

Do you know if this is the best route and how I would go about putting an application together?

Any help/advice would be great.
Cheers
Stefan
Hi Stefan,

Best if you shoot over your CV and the TRA decision to my email address below in my signature. ARTC would be an interesting choice but afaik would only apply if you had at least 6 or 7 years work experience in Australia.

Cheers,

George Lombard
George Lombard is offline  
Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:47 pm
  #23  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 59
becandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nice
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Hi there

Have been reading the thread and am still a little confused. My husband is a landscape gardener, he has no formal qualifications but has been self employed for 18 years. Am i right in thinking that if he has a UK workplace assesment and if everything is ok this will lead to an NVQ3 or an australian recognised qualification which will be great for our application?

The immigration system is so confusing.
Thanks for any info.
becandal is offline  
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:31 pm
  #24  
"At Home"
 
ekiec's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Terrigal, NSW.
Posts: 110
ekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really nice
Default Re: News on Pathway D

In respect to having no formal qualifications and getting recoognised . the RTO's seem to have a bias towards photographic evidence. Point being- as you are doing your daily trade/job presently"take photographs" with you in them. I know it sounds big ego time. but I am presently tring to have my experience recognised on this side and they have stated "have you any pictures of yourseld doing the work'. He emphasised that he recognises pictures with the person in, as bona-fida evidence of the skill (within the picture) as against client/ employee references or job invoices. Check up your trade against the AQF or Tafe modules list and take as many pictures of yourself doing as many jobs matching the requirement of the AQF III or Cert III trade. Even better edit a date onto the photographs for prior works.
This I have been informed is 100% proof you have done what is required.????
Ask those here that have had to go through the present process. You will find it a requirement.

Hope this assists.
Eamon.

P.s. For those of you that are thinking of migrating in a couple of years time,-start taking pictures (You in them) now for your portfolio and get as many client, co-worker or employer references as possable with a detailing of day to day jobs/work. Do not throw any invoices/paperwork/quotations/drawings/licenses etc. away. They all count as criteria and evidence, especially forthose with no written qualification. Eamon.

Last edited by ekiec; Jul 14th 2008 at 11:39 pm. Reason: Memory loss!!
ekiec is offline  
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:10 am
  #25  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 59
becandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nice
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Hi Eamon, Thanks for the info. But isnt this the way it used to work. I was under the impression that this method had been stopped due to many people taking photos of themselves supposedly carrying out the work but not actually being able to do the work they claim? If i am wrong and this is still being used then thats great and probably makes the whole thing quite a bit quicker.

Thanks!!
becandal is offline  
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:56 am
  #26  
"At Home"
 
ekiec's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Terrigal, NSW.
Posts: 110
ekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really nice
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Originally Posted by becandal View Post
Hi Eamon, Thanks for the info. But isnt this the way it used to work. I was under the impression that this method had been stopped due to many people taking photos of themselves supposedly carrying out the work but not actually being able to do the work they claim? If i am wrong and this is still being used then thats great and probably makes the whole thing quite a bit quicker.

Thanks!!
Yes, I agree with you but they (RTO's) are doing the assessing and thats what my assessor wanted from me. I personally have no faith in self photographic evidence as I beleive anyone taking a photo of themselves has either a huge ego and in love with their trade or as you say, someone else's work that they have planted themselves into.
I have over five hundred photo's of my previous works, he wasn't interested !!!!! Why would I want to have five hundred photo's with myself in them, "to show clients! I don't think so". I now have to phograph myself in different positions at work. My head is starting to swell and the OH is going to bin the camera...................
ekiec is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:03 pm
  #27  
Worongary
 
steve`o's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: GC hinterland
Posts: 10,288
steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Originally Posted by Alan Collett View Post
I attended a migration agents' seminar in Melbourne last Tuesday at which the Director and Assistant Director of TRA presented the new MAP, and responded to questions and "observations" from the floor.

I also took the opportunity to ask questions of the presenters afterwards.

For those in the UK I fear we are not going to achieve a great deal more certainty than we have now, beyond it being made quite clear at the presentation that an application based purely on work experience is a non starter.

In other words those applicants who have been hoping for a return of Skill Pathway D or an equivalent should reconcile themselves to the fact that they will now need to have a suitable qualification or licence that will validate their competencies.

Importantly, there is not going to be a list of "formally recognised qualifications" (at least not in the foreseeable future - see clause 7.4.2 in George's posting above), so applicants are left with the question of whether to go with an application based on a UK qualification or licence, or to incur the costs of a workplace assessment leading to an AQF Certificate III.

I quizzed the TRA people on NVQ2s (a subject dear to my heart), and was advised that "each case will be looked at individually and on its own merits".

The reality borne out of our own experience though (and I left the presentation with the view that this will not change under the new Skills Streams) is that a well documented application from a UK based individual with a NVQ2 (or indeed some other related licence/qualification - so long as supporting documentation is provided that evidences the technical requirements that had to be satisfied to attain the licence/qualification), together with related documentation that evidences skilled employment and/or a skills transition is likely to be successful.

Finally, trade skills applicants that have undertaken formal training, have attained some form of qualification outside Australia, and who want to optimise their chances of a successful application to TRA without committing to a reasonably expensive UK workplace assessment should consider engaging a competent agent who has lodged a significant number of applications with TRA in the past
. I know George is one. We are another:
http://www.gomatilda.com/contact.cfm#ouroffices

Best regards.

thanks for the information above

regards steve
steve`o is offline  
Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:09 pm
  #28  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 39
yoddha will become famous soon enough
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Originally Posted by Alan Collett View Post
I attended a migration agents' seminar in Melbourne last Tuesday at which the Director and Assistant Director of TRA presented the new MAP, and responded to questions and "observations" from the floor.

I also took the opportunity to ask questions of the presenters afterwards.

For those in the UK I fear we are not going to achieve a great deal more certainty than we have now, beyond it being made quite clear at the presentation that an application based purely on work experience is a non starter.

In other words those applicants who have been hoping for a return of Skill Pathway D or an equivalent should reconcile themselves to the fact that they will now need to have a suitable qualification or licence that will validate their competencies.

Importantly, there is not going to be a list of "formally recognised qualifications" (at least not in the foreseeable future - see clause 7.4.2 in George's posting above), so applicants are left with the question of whether to go with an application based on a UK qualification or licence, or to incur the costs of a workplace assessment leading to an AQF Certificate III.

I quizzed the TRA people on NVQ2s (a subject dear to my heart), and was advised that "each case will be looked at individually and on its own merits".

The reality borne out of our own experience though (and I left the presentation with the view that this will not change under the new Skills Streams) is that a well documented application from a UK based individual with a NVQ2 (or indeed some other related licence/qualification - so long as supporting documentation is provided that evidences the technical requirements that had to be satisfied to attain the licence/qualification), together with related documentation that evidences skilled employment and/or a skills transition is likely to be successful.

Finally, trade skills applicants that have undertaken formal training, have attained some form of qualification outside Australia, and who want to optimise their chances of a successful application to TRA without committing to a reasonably expensive UK workplace assessment should consider engaging a competent agent who has lodged a significant number of applications with TRA in the past. I know George is one. We are another:
http://www.gomatilda.com/contact.cfm#ouroffices

Best regards.
Hi !
We have applied for GSM to Australia. My Wife is Hair Dresser and the principal applicant with 8 years of work experience. We got our TRA Last year and then filed our application in August 2007 last year. We have got acknowledgement of our file but not been assigned a CO so far.

We are worried with the replacement to the Pathway D i.e MAP being introduced next month.

Are we Safe?
How will MAP affect us?
Will our application be acessed be still under the new policy?
Do we qualify under the new policy?
My wife does not have Govt Recognized Qualifications..(Though she has attended Seminars and Workshops to upgrade her skills)
Should she get her qualifications accessed from another body like City and Guilds etc to strengethen her case?
Please advice...

Cheers
Dipak
yoddha is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 3:30 pm
  #29  
Forum Regular
 
Veronika's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 228
Veronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Hi Dipak,

I know you addressed your question to George but the answer is simple and I hope George won't mind me answering:

The TRA changes that are being discussed above affect those who do not yet have a skills assessment. Your application will not be affected since it has already been lodged.

Cheers,
Veronika
Veronika is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 4:56 pm
  #30  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 39
yoddha will become famous soon enough
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Hi Veronika...
You answer has come as a huge relief for us..
Thanks a ton..

Cheers.
yoddha is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.