News on Pathway D

Old Jun 27th 2008, 7:14 am
  #1  
Reg. Migration Agent
Thread Starter
 
George Lombard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Inner Western suburbs of Sydney
Posts: 4,483
George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute
Default News on Pathway D

Finally some news about the shape of the new pathway D, thanks to the migration agents' professional body, the MIA, which has made the following preliminary comments on an exposure draft from TRA :


•1. Replacement for Pathway D.

The old Pathway D allowed for a consideration of workplace experience alone. This will not be a feature of the new system. Under the new system, skills assessment will rely on qualifications, which can include licensing, industry certificates, recognition of prior learning (RPL) and gap training, with independent verification. All of this will, of course, depend on comparability with Australian equivalents.

Training and workplace assessment can be conducted by an Australian Registered Training Organisation (RTO) either inside or outside Australia. Form 1 January 2009, training and assessments conducted outside Australia will be accepted only if that RTO is registered with AusLIST. Training or assessments conducted by RTOs within Australia are not subject to this restriction.

TRA would expect any training by RTOs to take an appropriate length of time for any particular occupation. While each case will be assessed on its merits, a Certificate III gained in a few days would most likely be closely scrutinised! Training that seems to be extraordinarily short or quick would be unlikely to be the trainee skills commensurate with Australian standards and expectations.



Further documentation is available but it's too early to speculate exactly how all this might work in practice. It does seem to be opening the door for a considerable volume of work for RTOs registered at http://www.transnational.deewr.gov.au/AusLIST/ .

The planned date for the implementation of this change is 1 September, ie Pathway D will have been out of commission for 12 months.

Cheers,

George Lombard
George Lombard is offline  
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:25 pm
  #2  
Reg. Migration Agent
Thread Starter
 
George Lombard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Inner Western suburbs of Sydney
Posts: 4,483
George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Originally Posted by George Lombard View Post
Finally some news about the shape of the new pathway D, thanks to the migration agents' professional body, the MIA, which has made the following preliminary comments on an exposure draft from TRA :


•1. Replacement for Pathway D.

The old Pathway D allowed for a consideration of workplace experience alone. This will not be a feature of the new system. Under the new system, skills assessment will rely on qualifications, which can include licensing, industry certificates, recognition of prior learning (RPL) and gap training, with independent verification. All of this will, of course, depend on comparability with Australian equivalents.

Training and workplace assessment can be conducted by an Australian Registered Training Organisation (RTO) either inside or outside Australia. Form 1 January 2009, training and assessments conducted outside Australia will be accepted only if that RTO is registered with AusLIST. Training or assessments conducted by RTOs within Australia are not subject to this restriction.

TRA would expect any training by RTOs to take an appropriate length of time for any particular occupation. While each case will be assessed on its merits, a Certificate III gained in a few days would most likely be closely scrutinised! Training that seems to be extraordinarily short or quick would be unlikely to be the trainee skills commensurate with Australian standards and expectations.



Further documentation is available but it's too early to speculate exactly how all this might work in practice. It does seem to be opening the door for a considerable volume of work for RTOs registered at http://www.transnational.deewr.gov.au/AusLIST/ .

The planned date for the implementation of this change is 1 September, ie Pathway D will have been out of commission for 12 months.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Further to this, the specific discussion of overseas qualifications in the exposure draft is underneath. It seems to boil down to having four years work experience and a recognised qualification for everyone. There will no longer be pathways A to E, but just two streams, A for people using Australian qualifications and experience and B for everyone else. And for both streams, the requirements are going to include a qualification (skill category 1) and work experience (skill category 2).

Also significant that the option of trade tests, technical interviews and on the job inspections are now explicit additional options for TRA beyond the formal requirements for each stream.

Now read on:


7. Skill Stream B – International

7.1. Skill category 1 ‐ Training / Skills Recognition: Applicants must provide evidence of having completed at least one element from Skill Category 1 as follows:

7.1.1. formal vocational training; or
7.1.2. formal skills recognition.

7.2. In relation to clause 7.1.1, formal vocational training must:
7.2.1. consist of structured institution based tuition; and
7.2.2. result in the award of a formally recognised qualification applicable to the nominated occupation.

7.3. In relation to clause 7.1.2, formal skills recognition must:
7.3.1. result from completion of a workplace assessment; or
7.3.2. be confirmed by a recognised industrial or occupational licence.

7.4. In relation to 7.3.1, the workplace assessment must:
7.4.1. have been undertaken by an organisation accredited by an authorised governing body whose standards can be independently verified by TRA; and
7.4.2. result in the award of a formally recognised qualification applicable to the nominated occupation.

7.5. Skill Category 2 ‐ Employment: Applicants must also demonstrate no less than four (4) years employment.

7.6. For the purposes of clause 7.5, applicants are able to claim a maximum of one (1) year credit towards their employment if they provide evidence of completing formal vocational training.

7.7. For the purposes of clause 7.5, such employment must include a skill level transition.

Cheers,

George Lombard
George Lombard is offline  
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:58 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 537
Flixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to all
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Originally Posted by George Lombard View Post
Further to this, the specific discussion of overseas qualifications in the exposure draft is underneath. It seems to boil down to having four years work experience and a recognised qualification for everyone. There will no longer be pathways A to E, but just two streams, A for people using Australian qualifications and experience and B for everyone else. And for both streams, the requirements are going to include a qualification (skill category 1) and work experience (skill category 2).

Also significant that the option of trade tests, technical interviews and on the job inspections are now explicit additional options for TRA beyond the formal requirements for each stream.

Now read on:


7. Skill Stream B – International

7.1. Skill category 1 ‐ Training / Skills Recognition: Applicants must provide evidence of having completed at least one element from Skill Category 1 as follows:

7.1.1. formal vocational training; or
7.1.2. formal skills recognition.

7.2. In relation to clause 7.1.1, formal vocational training must:
7.2.1. consist of structured institution based tuition; and
7.2.2. result in the award of a formally recognised qualification applicable to the nominated occupation.

7.3. In relation to clause 7.1.2, formal skills recognition must:
7.3.1. result from completion of a workplace assessment; or
7.3.2. be confirmed by a recognised industrial or occupational licence.

7.4. In relation to 7.3.1, the workplace assessment must:
7.4.1. have been undertaken by an organisation accredited by an authorised governing body whose standards can be independently verified by TRA; and
7.4.2. result in the award of a formally recognised qualification applicable to the nominated occupation.

7.5. Skill Category 2 ‐ Employment: Applicants must also demonstrate no less than four (4) years employment.

7.6. For the purposes of clause 7.5, applicants are able to claim a maximum of one (1) year credit towards their employment if they provide evidence of completing formal vocational training.

7.7. For the purposes of clause 7.5, such employment must include a skill level transition.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Thanks again George,
We have been looking at a few avenues while waiting for news, my OH was trained by British Telecom, there is no qualification for this, but he has a license to work on the BT network, would this be good enough? If not, if he has his skills assessed by an NVQ assessor in the UK via RPL and gains a NVQ3 would this be good enough? He is also currently doing online training with a RTO to gain a certII in telecommunications which wil lead to an open cablers license, will that help at all?
Sorry for all the questions, i'm sure you will be unindated, but I would appreciate any comments you may have.
Regards
Flix
Flixy is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2008, 1:35 pm
  #4  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,768
PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: News on Pathway D

My brother is looking to come to Australia and HIS (2 bob job!) agent has told him he'll be ok when the pathway D IS reintroduced! ...

He's a locksmith with years of experience, but no formal qualifications apart from a few week long courses.

HE tells me his agent know what they're on about! ... I tell him they don't and not to 'bank on it!'

What do you reckon anyone?
PaulandNic is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2008, 4:45 pm
  #5  
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 23,400
Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Originally Posted by PaulandNic View Post
My brother is looking to come to Australia and HIS (2 bob job!) agent has told him he'll be ok when the pathway D IS reintroduced! ...

He's a locksmith with years of experience, but no formal qualifications apart from a few week long courses.

HE tells me his agent know what they're on about! ... I tell him they don't and not to 'bank on it!'

What do you reckon anyone?
I think you are right Paul.

Too much assumption about it being reintroduced and I think if anything, the whole process will become far harder than it is now.

Good luck to him though.
Cheetah7 is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2008, 9:19 am
  #6  
Just Joined
 
chappers1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 20
chappers1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: News on Pathway D

Hi

I was wondering how this effects AQF III, seeing pathway E has gone, as they can be turned around in a matter of weeks, and if they would be scrutinised. OH is doing it at moment and don't want to lay out more money if it not going to do him any good.

Many thanks
chappers1 is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2008, 1:07 pm
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 537
Flixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to all
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
Thanks again George,
We have been looking at a few avenues while waiting for news, my OH was trained by British Telecom, there is no qualification for this, but he has a license to work on the BT network, would this be good enough? If not, if he has his skills assessed by an NVQ assessor in the UK via RPL and gains a NVQ3 would this be good enough? He is also currently doing online training with a RTO to gain a certII in telecommunications which wil lead to an open cablers license, will that help at all?
Sorry for all the questions, i'm sure you will be unindated, but I would appreciate any comments you may have.
Regards
Flix

Any ideas anyone please?
Flixy is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 6:37 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 537
Flixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to all
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Just seen this on the TRA site:

http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...n2July2008.pdf
Flixy is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 7:02 am
  #9  
Reg. Migration Agent
Thread Starter
 
George Lombard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Inner Western suburbs of Sydney
Posts: 4,483
George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
Any ideas anyone please?
Dear Flixy,

Thanks for the link.

On the question concerning your OH, it's much too early to know exactly what they'll accept and what they won't. I would suggest in fact that you prepare a submission pointing out that BT training and licensing is world best practice and should be accepted in his field, they're still in the consultation phase on the new "MAP".

Cheers,

George Lombard
George Lombard is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 7:08 am
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 541
carolinemaria has a brilliant futurecarolinemaria has a brilliant futurecarolinemaria has a brilliant futurecarolinemaria has a brilliant futurecarolinemaria has a brilliant futurecarolinemaria has a brilliant future
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Originally Posted by George Lombard View Post
Dear Flixy,

Thanks for the link.

On the question concerning your OH, it's much too early to know exactly what they'll accept and what they won't. I would suggest in fact that you prepare a submission pointing out that BT training and licensing is world best practice and should be accepted in his field, they're still in the consultation phase on the new "MAP".

Cheers,

George Lombard
Hi George, just saw your name pop up. I know I shouldn't post this here but too happy. As you know got our visa today. Thanks to you and your team for being so excellent.

Caroline and Keith (the mirror people) x
carolinemaria is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 8:20 am
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 537
Flixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to all
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Originally Posted by George Lombard View Post
Dear Flixy,

Thanks for the link.

On the question concerning your OH, it's much too early to know exactly what they'll accept and what they won't. I would suggest in fact that you prepare a submission pointing out that BT training and licensing is world best practice and should be accepted in his field, they're still in the consultation phase on the new "MAP".

Cheers,

George Lombard
Thanks for the advice George, is there any indication of when the new criteria wil be available?
Regards
Flixy
Flixy is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 8:23 am
  #12  
Reg. Migration Agent
Thread Starter
 
George Lombard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Inner Western suburbs of Sydney
Posts: 4,483
George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
Thanks for the advice George, is there any indication of when the new criteria wil be available?
Regards
Flixy
Hi Flixy,

I've already posted all that they've provided that's relevant.

Cheers,

George Lombard
George Lombard is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 10:26 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
 
chappers1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 20
chappers1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: News on Pathway D

HAS THERE BEEN ANY CHANGES MADE TO PATHWAY 'E' ??
chappers1 is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 9:51 am
  #14  
Reg. Migration Agent
Thread Starter
 
George Lombard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Inner Western suburbs of Sydney
Posts: 4,483
George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News on Pathway D

Originally Posted by chappers1 View Post
HAS THERE BEEN ANY CHANGES MADE TO PATHWAY 'E' ??
Hi Chappers,

Don't know, I think Alan may be exploring that now.

Cheers,

George Lombard
George Lombard is offline  
Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:25 pm
  #15  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1
tracey turney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: News on Pathway D

hi anybody a hairdresser from 1980's with city & guilds qualifications and doing perm res
tracey turney is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.