NEWS FLASH - DIAC expo London

Old May 16th 2009, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

mollyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NEWS FLASH - DIAC expo London

Hi all,

I'm a nurse and I went to the last expo. There were a lot of recruitment agencies there and it was good to talk to them face to face. I put a lot of hard work into getting a few references together and copies of my CV as well as certificates, as I was advised of this prior, but to be honest they only wanted my name and e-mail address. They all e-mailed me within a couple of days and I was offered a telephone interview with Ramsey health.
My advice to anyone going would be, book the early slot! I got in at 9.15 and had lots of opportunity to talk to people. By the end of my two hours, it was packed out and each stand had a massive line with people waiting ages to have a very brief chat!

Good luck to all those going.
Old May 19th 2009, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Registered for the expo a few weeks ago.

Got the update email today which was generally positive with Secondary Teacher on the CSL list and education being mentioned on the email.

Have been to commercial expos before so should I expect any difference if an invitation materialises?

Bezza
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

clairey b will become famous soon enoughclairey b will become famous soon enough

Hi all

Just to let you know-i have just received my invite to attend this expo so i am guessing they are beginning to issue them all now.

I now longer need to go as our visas have come through but good luck to everyone that goes, and hope its a good worthwhile day for you all

Claire
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

ubdai will become famous soon enoughubdai will become famous soon enough

Just got my invite.

So things may start to be looking up.

Hope everyone who's applied gets their invite.

ubdai
Old Jun 10th 2009, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

And one more - some education stands but not many but hey ho could be worse.

Bezza
Old Jun 10th 2009, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

juliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nice

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
And one more - some education stands but not many but hey ho could be worse.

Bezza
My OH just got his invite - he is in IT - not sure how many peeps will be there re that.

Julie x
Old Jun 10th 2009, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Leigh-Adam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Yeah we got our invite today too, hubby is a Railway Signalling engineer. Looking forward to getting a lot of questions answered and to try and get more contacts too. Already making a note of all the great tips on here.

Good luck everyone and hope to see you all there.

Leigh and Adam
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:42 pm
aka Mrs Stressalot

jasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nice

Really weird thing happened today......

We got an e-mail saying that we didn't get an invite as the skills were not in demand (or something like that) and then this morning we got an e-mail saying they had made a mistake and we now have an invite Has this happened to any of you? Do you think they are doing this because numbers are short?

We have our visas already but were hoping maybe a job offer may come of it if we went. My OH is main applicant and went in under Community Worker - which isn't CSL or MODL!
Old Jun 28th 2009, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

ubdai will become famous soon enoughubdai will become famous soon enough
Default DIAC expo London - TODAY

Well todays the day. Hope everyone gets the info they want and is successful in their quest to get to Oz.

all the best
ubdai
Old Jun 28th 2009, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasb
Really weird thing happened today......

We got an e-mail saying that we didn't get an invite as the skills were not in demand (or something like that) and then this morning we got an e-mail saying they had made a mistake and we now have an invite Has this happened to any of you? Do you think they are doing this because numbers are short?
I wondered that, my husband applied for his own ticket (not realiseing he could come in with me, the main visa applicant). He put his occupation down as "other" and he still got a ticket.

In the event we decided not to bother going, the exhibitors were all medical with the odd engineering. Seemed like a waste of time as we don't fit into those categories.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

juliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I wondered that, my husband applied for his own ticket (not realiseing he could come in with me, the main visa applicant). He put his occupation down as "other" and he still got a ticket.

In the event we decided not to bother going, the exhibitors were all medical with the odd engineering. Seemed like a waste of time as we don't fit into those categories.
my OH in IT decided not to bother going either as there were not many IT people and we don't need to see DIAC/state people at the mo.

Julie x
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

MY OH and I went yesterday.

Not much on education but good to meet the state governments and to talk through various aspects of getting work. I suspect there are many of us who have spent a great deal longer researching our own particular scenario - ones which others only have a general idea about. You really can't expect an encyclopedic Knowledge and perhaps this is the way it should be!

Only interesting one was to be told by a state that I hadn't applied to that my skill, although still on the list today, will come off on the 1st of July - even though their list was updated on the 29th of June.

Perhaps my out of context question should be what is the difference between

Queensland
  • Skilled Sponsored Eligible Skills List
  • Eligible skills for the permanent residence visa

The URL for the page is http://www.workliveplay.qld.gov.au/d...nt.cfm?id=3709

Any insight would be welcome.

Bezza
Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

al_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud of

Well me and Lucy went to the show on Saturday, seeing as we had a 9.30am entrance, we were up at 4am and on the road at 4.45am! (We live in Somerset - right next to the Devon border)

After a eventful drive there - there was fog from Taunton until not long before the M25!) we finaly got to the expo.

Glad we got there early, had a coffee etc, walked up the Platinum Suite entrance, couple of minutes later the queue to enter was HUGE! but we were one of the first in.

And we where glad we did as we did not really have to queue for anyone we wanted to speak to for more than 1 minute. but as we where leaving the expo the queues for each stall were massive.

First stop was Queensland Health and Queensland Goverment. Both of these were good in there own right. Gave us some useful information, Lucy is a Biomedical Scientist and you are usually met with blank stares whenever she tells people what she does - but QH gave us details of who to contact, what visa we would need to go for to go quickly - they recommended a 475 to get out there are then for QH to sponser for PR, rather than waiting a much longer time for a 175/6 visa.

DIAC where not very helpful, mainly the responses we got were ... look at the website.

We then had a good look around the other stalls (with the exception of WA as we have no intentions of going there, and everyone else did it seem!) and nearly moved on the spot to Adelaide after having a fantastic conversation with the rep for SA!

So overall impressions ....

We now have got a lot of pens, should keep us in ink for a very long time

Was worth the journey, just to speak to the people there, and fire off idea's and queries.

We came back more positive about what we want to do, and also about time-scales. We are now even more committed to getting all the paperwork done and trying to juggle the hassles of everyday life and work to get over to Oz to experience something different. Lucy was still a bit doubtful about some things, and after talking things over with some of the stall holders, is now sure about what she wants to do!

We used it as a good excuse to inform Lucy's folks about what we are planning to do. They seem happy with the idea mine see it as a good holiday destination for themselves!!

Overall - was worth the many hours in a car to London and back to the south west. Also took the opportunity to go and visit my new little niece at my brothers in Surrey

Al
Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:57 am
Just Joined

fraser_mac is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to say in my own experience the EXPO was a huge let down. Unless you were in the medical field it was a total waste of time.

Im in the IT field and it was pointless. Why did I get an invite to only one company looking to recruit IT personnel??? And yes I did check the list of companies/states etc who were going to be there...

I also had some poor chats to the State representatives.... for example we are in the process of applying for ACT sponsorship and I was answering the questions for the girl I spoke to at the ACT stand. She didn't have a clue even on the timescale.... very poor indeed.

And as for IPA recruitment jesus wept. The guy was British to start with and he said 'Oh I don't know what the Oz market is like just register online' - eh okay then thats was worhtwhile....

DIAC should make this a Health only Expo next time - it is more than heavily weighted in that area.

FRM
Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

al_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fraser_mac
Have to say in my own experience the EXPO was a huge let down. Unless you were in the medical field it was a total waste of time.

Im in the IT field and it was pointless. Why did I get an invite to only one company looking to recruit IT personnel??? And yes I did check the list of companies/states etc who were going to be there...

I also had some poor chats to the State representatives.... for example we are in the process of applying for ACT sponsorship and I was answering the questions for the girl I spoke to at the ACT stand. She didn't have a clue even on the timescale.... very poor indeed.

And as for IPA recruitment jesus wept. The guy was British to start with and he said 'Oh I don't know what the Oz market is like just register online' - eh okay then thats was worhtwhile....

DIAC should make this a Health only Expo next time - it is more than heavily weighted in that area.

FRM
Yeah I only remember seeing one stand for something that wasn't health or government, and the queue of engineers was quite long! I'm in IT but went knowing there was nothing for me there, but Lucy being in healthcare was in demand!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.