Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Newbie type question about being a permanent resident

Wikiposts

Newbie type question about being a permanent resident

Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

gerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to all
Default Newbie type question about being a permanent resident

Just had a thought my visa (136) is the permanentt resident type but only for 5 years....

Question is what do i do after that?? i have been here now nearly 8 months and we got our visas late 07 do i apply come 2012 for resident's again bearing in mind i would of been here continuous for 4 years ish...

Just puzzles me thats all!!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie type question about being a permanent resident

Originally Posted by gerry
Just had a thought my visa (136) is the permanentt resident type but only for 5 years....
The 136 visa is permanent. You can stay in Australia forever - not just for 5 years .

If you want to leave Australia for a holiday after the 5-year date (and you haven't got citizenship yet), you apply for a Resident Return Visa (RRV). With the RRV you can leave Australia and get back into Australia.

In other words: When the 5-year date on your visa is up, you don't need to do anything in order to stay in Australia. But if you want to travel out of Australia, you first need to apply for an RRV.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
The 136 visa is permanent. You can stay in Australia forever - not just for 5 years .

If you want to leave Australia for a holiday after the 5-year date (and you haven't got citizenship yet), you apply for a Resident Return Visa (RRV). With the RRV you can leave Australia and get back into Australia.

In other words: When the 5-year date on your visa is up, you don't need to do anything in order to stay in Australia. But if you want to travel out of Australia, you first need to apply for an RRV.
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf
Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

gerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to all

Thats the 2nd link i have tried opening and it just opens a blank white page for me???

Could some one please copy and paste the important bits that relate to my visa cheers gerry.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the 2nd link i have tried opening and it just opens a blank white page for me???

Could some one please copy and paste the important bits that relate to my visa cheers gerry.
Right-click on Polly's link. Then choose "save target as" etc etc
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Copy and paste doesn't work with info from DIAC forms, especially when you need to read ALL the info.

The alternative is to go to www.immi.gov.au and look for Form 968