Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Newbie Help for Employment Visa in Australia

Newbie Help for Employment Visa in Australia

Old Sep 13th 2012, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

navman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie Help for Employment Visa in Australia

I am a Freelance IT Telecommunications Engineer, there is a shortage of my skill set in Australia and I have been in preliminary talks with a company in Australia who have offered me permanent work with full sponsorship.

I would prefer to stay as a Freelance Consultant and therefore would like to research the option to emigrate to Australia independently without any company sponsorship.

What I need to know is the basics as in the Visa types available, the costs, the timescales, and also if your spouse is eligible to work in Australia as part of your Visa approval.

I know all abut the US process as I have worked there before and recently turned down a role but have no idea about the Visa process in Australia.

All help will be greatly appreciated
Old Sep 13th 2012, 12:34 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie Help for Employment Visa in Australia

Originally Posted by navman
I am a Freelance IT Telecommunications Engineer, there is a shortage of my skill set in Australia and I have been in preliminary talks with a company in Australia who have offered me permanent work with full sponsorship.

I would prefer to stay as a Freelance Consultant and therefore would like to research the option to emigrate to Australia independently without any company sponsorship.

What I need to know is the basics as in the Visa types available, the costs, the timescales, and also if your spouse is eligible to work in Australia as part of your Visa approval.

I know all abut the US process as I have worked there before and recently turned down a role but have no idea about the Visa process in Australia.

www.immi.gov.au
Old Sep 13th 2012, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Quite confusing information on website.

Can an Independent Professional apply for a work Visa in Australia?

A lot of Independent Skilled Visa types have been cancelled since July 2012
Old Sep 13th 2012, 1:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Quite confusing information on website.

Can an Independent Professional apply for a work Visa in Australia?

A lot of Independent Skilled Visa types have been cancelled since July 2012
http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/ has the new visa types.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Navman,

from the information you have provided, your skill (Telecommunications Engineer ANZSCO code 263311) is listed on the Skilled Occupation list schedule 1. This means that you may be eligible to apply for a sub-class 189 Skilled -Independent permanent residence visa. This visa would allow a spouse included in the application to work in Australia.

This points-based visa is subject to a subject to a successful skills assessment by Engineers Australia as well as other requirements listed in the following link:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skills.../subclass-189/

Under the new SkillSelect process, you need to meet all of the requirements of the visa, lodge an expression of interest (EOI) and then be invited to apply for the visa,

regards

Rhubarb65
Old Sep 13th 2012, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the Information

How long are typically these types of Visa valid for?

Can they be extended?

Finally what are the timescales and fees involved?
Old Sep 13th 2012, 2:38 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the Information

How long are typically these types of Visa valid for?

Can they be extended?

Finally what are the timescales and fees involved?
The 189 is a permanent residence visa & it costs AUD $3060. As for timescales, it's not really possible to say as it's only just been introduced.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

This visa is valid for multiple entry and re-entry to Australia for a period of 5 years after date of visa grant for the primary applicant and family members included in the application. At the end of the 5 year period, you will require either a resident return visa (RRV) or AU citizenship to be able to leave and subsequently re-enter Australia.

Visa cost is AUD 3060 for you and all dependent family members included in the application....then you will have the costs of medicals (about GBP 190 per adult and GBP 80 per child from memory), ACPO police certificates (approx GBP 50 per Adult, skills assessment cost (varies by assessing authority, look-up yours at Engineers Australia) - as a guide, mine was about AUD 400.

No idea how long the process will take; the Skillselect procedure only started on 1st August

cheers

Rhubarb65
Old Sep 13th 2012, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there,

Many thanks for the information.

Just one more question, is this Visa cancelled or revoked if you spend a certain amount of days outside of Australia?

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65
This visa is valid for multiple entry and re-entry to Australia for a period of 5 years after date of visa grant for the primary applicant and family members included in the application. At the end of the 5 year period, you will require either a resident return visa (RRV) or AU citizenship to be able to leave and subsequently re-enter Australia.

Visa cost is AUD 3060 for you and all dependent family members included in the application....then you will have the costs of medicals (about GBP 190 per adult and GBP 80 per child from memory), ACPO police certificates (approx GBP 50 per Adult, skills assessment cost (varies by assessing authority, look-up yours at Engineers Australia) - as a guide, mine was about AUD 400.

No idea how long the process will take; the Skillselect procedure only started on 1st August

cheers

Rhubarb65
Old Sep 13th 2012, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Malikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really nice

@ navman ,
Have a look @ seek.com.auhttp://www.seek.com.au
You can apply for the jobs from there. If your skill really in demand here then u must calls from employers and recruiters.
Usually all its matter how demanding is your skillset.
I got job while i was in overseas.Afterward three my friends also came here on 457 ..
Old Sep 13th 2012, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

iubatvut is an unknown quantity at this point

I also had same question... thanks for giving information . i am also working as offshore basis with Australian software company
Old Sep 14th 2012, 1:12 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Many thanks for the information.

Just one more question, is this Visa cancelled or revoked if you spend a certain amount of days outside of Australia?
If you are granted a permanent visa, once it's validated, you will have five years to make the move to Australia. If you let the visa expire, you would need to apply for an RRV. What length of RRV you would get depends on what ties you have to Australia - i.e. if you have a job or home there, etc.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

I am filling out the EOI.

I have over the required points.

Once i complete the form do I need to arrange a skills assessment?

Is this not needed? Also is there an additional charge for this.

After reveiwing all the information, its quite a confusing and complicated process.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I am filling out the EOI.

I have over the required points.

Once i complete the form do I need to arrange a skills assessment?

Is this not needed? Also is there an additional charge for this.

After reveiwing all the information, its quite a confusing and complicated process.
You need to do your skills assessment first, before lodging the EOI. Yes there will be a charge, some are quite expensive others less so.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Ok I understand. So now I need to fill out a skills assessment.

My occupation falls under two categories therefore I guess I can choose between ACS ($450) or Engineers Australia. Im still trying to work out what there fees are as it lists many differrent fees for differrent checks.

I dont have a PHD so this check is not needed, can anybody advise the costs for a skills assessment from Engineers Australia, i believe its either $600 or $400 based on conflicting information on their website and PDF document.

Naturally I want to go with the cheaper option. All help appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.