new zealand,downsides?

Old Dec 8th 2004, 8:43 am
Just Joined

v8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nice
Smile new zealand,downsides?

are there any downsides to moving to NZ? and what are the plus points?
everyone i`ve spoken to says its an amazing place to live in but it can`t be that perfect can it?
Old Dec 8th 2004, 8:51 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: new zealand,downsides?

My broyher lives in NZ. Torbay, Northshore and has said that he will never come back to the UK (To live) as he loves it there.

Think he moved over to NZ about nine years ago.

He said that he cant fault the country

Rob

Originally Posted by v8anglia
everyone i`ve spoken to says its an amazing place to live in but it can`t be that perfect can it?
Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:26 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

I've only been to NZ 3 times, so this is just my own opinion; NZ is a beautiful place, lots of unspoilt scenery, sports and places to travel to HOWEVER the population there just isn't big enough to provide me with the things & choice I'm used to/like to have.

Best way to find out is to go and have a look
Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:37 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people find the cost of living very expensive compared to the average wages. Jobs often do not turn out to be what is promised.
The weather can be awful in many parts of NZ.

There has been a lot of discussion on these points on:

www.*****.co.uk

Try looking on that site.

Good luck

G
Old Dec 9th 2004, 3:16 am
Neil Raines

This prety well sums up the problem for many migrants, and why so many kiwis
move overseas. It also explains why prices are often higher than you expect,
the market is very small, and so are the neighbouring markets.

>> are there any downsides to moving to NZ? and what are the plus points?
    >> everyone i`ve spoken to says its an amazing place to live in but it
    >> can`t be that perfect can it?
    > I've only been to NZ 3 times, so this is just my own opinion; NZ is a
    > beautiful place, lots of unspoilt scenery, sports and places to travel
    > to HOWEVER the population there just isn't big enough to provide me with
    > the things & choice I'm used to/like to have.
    > Best way to find out is to go and have a look :)
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Dec 9th 2004, 3:42 am
Hugh Janus

Wages are very poor in NZ. Industry can't expand because of the skills
shortage. The main reason seems to be that industry is not prepared to pay
for skills in NZ so lots of Kiwis have moved to Australia. Not sure how they
are going to break that cycle.
Road safety in NZ is dire, some people say Kiwi drivers are the worst in the
world.

Old Dec 9th 2004, 7:50 am
Neil Raines

Rubbish!

NZ accident rate is no worse (or better) than other western countries. NZ
has a very high rate of car ownership, and the number of accidents per car
is not high

> Road safety in NZ is dire, some people say Kiwi drivers are the worst in
    > the world.
    >

Old Dec 9th 2004, 2:06 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

You will love NZ.

Great place
Great people
Cheaper than the UK......

Old Dec 9th 2004, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

sarahandnick is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to NZ a couple of years ago. Its absolutely beautiful and the people were very friendly. I can see how if you are used to metropolitan life, then it could be too quiet for some.

Don't think the salaries are great though.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 3:04 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

North of Auklaqnd is nice, albeit a bit too quiet for me

Originally Posted by sarahandnick
I went to NZ a couple of years ago. Its absolutely beautiful and the people were very friendly. I can see how if you are used to metropolitan life, then it could be too quiet for some.

Don't think the salaries are great though.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 5:27 pm
Hugh Janus

The Driving standard is dire I see it every day obviously you have had only
bad driving to compare with.

Old Dec 10th 2004, 8:37 am
Just Joined

jessybrissy is on a distinguished road

I lived in Seattle/Vancouver before so my point of view may be biased. NZ is of course stunning, however, coming from the Pacific Northwest, I am just not that impressed with the scenery. But the weather is also stunningly cold even compared to Canada! If you are looking for a change of weather from UK, you probably can only stay in the northern tip of the North Island, where the real estate is just way out of reach for the average local wages.

We were recently visiting NZ in early Dec. Believe it or not, it is still freezing cold for most of NZ, I had to wear wool sweaters, an overcoat and scarf almost the entire time even though it is technically summer! And the wind, or gale, should I say, was a bit too much to bear on a daily basis. Perhaps the Kiwis are used to it, since I did see locals wearing shorts and T-shirts when apparent tourists were all wrapped in warm clothes. We also scoped out the supermarkets and malls in major cities, the choice seemed very limited. I was comparing grocery price in Wellington with Brisbane, where I reside now, just based on a general impression, the price level is about 10-15% higher. I am retired, but my Kiwi neighbor in Brisbane told me that the general wage level in Auckland, where he comes from, is about a tad bit lower than Brisbane.

Also bear in mind that the major residential points of NZ are built on potential natural disasters: Auckland near a dormant volcano, Wellington and Christchurch on a major fault line where quakes of 8.2 Richter Scale had hit a century ago.

Of course there are pluses. But the fact that every year Kiwis account for either the largest or the second largest group of migrants to Oz says something.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 9:55 am
Just Joined

v8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nice
Talking Re: new zealand,downsides?

why is it so popular with the brits then? maybe the bad weather and low wages makes it feel like home!
Old Dec 10th 2004, 8:22 pm
Neil Raines

I too see it every day. Drivers are not as experienced or polite as the UK,
but the accident rate, and traffic deaths, are not much different per 1000
cars. The UK has worse weather, NZ has worse roads.

> The Driving standard is dire I see it every day obviously you have had
    > only > bad driving to compare with.
    >

Old Dec 10th 2004, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

jessybrissy is on a distinguished road

why is it so popular with the brits then? maybe the bad weather and low wages makes it feel like home!
NZ is actually not only popular with Brits. Most people visit NZ in the best season - late Dec to early Jan, perhaps the only time when you get to see uninterrupted sunshine, and they see this wonderful scenery, unspoilt land, cheap housing (compared to their current wages back home), they are sold.

It is always useful to look at the immigration number of a country, and compare it to the number of residents permanently leaving that country, and try to find out where these departing Kiwis are heading. It tells a lot of the story that you won't know until you have to live there for a long while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.