British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   New Wife may be booted out of Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/new-wife-may-booted-out-australia-97607/)

cazsue Sep 12th 2002 6:53 am

New Wife may be booted out of Australia

Hi folks,
Haven't been on for a while, too busy settling in to Brissie but thought some of you may be interested in reading the following, I quote word for word an article that was published in The Queensland Times Saturday Augsut 10 2002.

"NEW WIFE MAY BE BOOTED OUT OF AUSTRALIA

A United States woman faces separation from her Ipswich husband this month because they cannot afford the fees for her to apply for Austrlian residency.
The federal government has confirmed Katie Bartlett will be deported unless she and her husband Gordon can raise $2000 to accompany an application for permanent residency by August 19.
The Bartletts, who met on the internet and then married in April after a few face-to-face meetings, have been unable to obtain a loan.
They believed that once they married Mrs Bartlett would be automatically entitled to stay in Austrlia.
But spouses of Austrlian citizens have to go through normal channels to obtain a residence visa and also must pass a medical examination."

Further article in same paper
"US BRIDGE FACES DEPORTATION"

A BUNDAMBA couple may be torn apart this month if they cannot raise $2000 for the woman to apply for Austrlian residency.
Katie Bartlett,51 lefter her home in Kansas, USA earlier this year and came to Ipswich to marry Gordon on April 27.
"We met on the internet in April 2000" Mrs Bartlett said. A couple of face-to-face meetings led to the decision to marry.
She believed she would automatically qualify to become an Australian citizen.
But when they visited a bank to open a joint account, they found that Mrs Bartlett had to have permanent residence status to be bale to do that.
They have since been informed Mrs Bartlett's visitor visa expired on August 26 and she must apply for permanent reisency or return to the US.
A letter from Citzenship Minister Gary Hardgrage says she will have to be assessed against the criteria for gaining a visa.
The application fee and costs total about $2000.
Ironically, if Mrs Bartlett overstayed her visa, she could be deported and the Australian Government would pay her face to the US.
The Bartletts say they have tried every avenue they can think of to raise the money.
Mr Bartlett, 50 works two days a week as a gardener and takes home $175. He has been unable to get full-time work.
His wife is not allowed to work on a visitor's visa.
"I was told that, as I was not earning enough, I could not get a loan". Mr Bartlett siad.
They must send in the application for permanent reisdency by August 19.
Once Mrs Bartlett submits an application, she will be eligible for a bridging visa.
A spokesman for Immigration Minister Philip Ruddock said Mrs Bartlett would hnot have beengiven a visitor's visa if the department had known she intended to stay in Austrlia permanently.
If the department did not receive a permanent visa application from Mrs Bartlett by August 26 "she'll become unlawful and she'll be removed". the spokesman said."

Just interested to hear your commentson the above.

Regards

Caz

Hang in there all those of you who are waiting for your PRs.

ywoods Sep 12th 2002 10:00 am

Re: New Wife may be booted out of Australia

Originally my hubby and I were going to do it that way, but the grey area lies within the ETA. You cannot work on it, you have NO legal rights so to speak and you should have thought ahead as to applying which involves a fee. This should have been done before hand, it is common sense. We spoke to an agent (which inturn we appointed to do our application) and did it all in the UK. The outcome... a spouse visa with working rights, medicare rights and no looking over our shoulders.

Yvonne :)

2 :eek: days til we leave, 4 til we arrive. WATCH OUT MELBOURNE

Originally posted by cazsue:
Hi folks,
Haven't been on for a while, too busy settling in to Brissie but thought some of you may be interested in reading the following, I quote word for word an article that was published in The Queensland Times Saturday Augsut 10 2002.

"NEW WIFE MAY BE BOOTED OUT OF AUSTRALIA

A United States woman faces separation from her Ipswich husband this month because they cannot afford the fees for her to apply for Austrlian residency.
The federal government has confirmed Katie Bartlett will be deported unless she and her husband Gordon can raise $2000 to accompany an application for permanent residency by August 19.
The Bartletts, who met on the internet and then married in April after a few face-to-face meetings, have been unable to obtain a loan.
They believed that once they married Mrs Bartlett would be automatically entitled to stay in Austrlia.
But spouses of Austrlian citizens have to go through normal channels to obtain a residence visa and also must pass a medical examination."

Further article in same paper
"US BRIDGE FACES DEPORTATION"

A BUNDAMBA couple may be torn apart this month if they cannot raise $2000 for the woman to apply for Austrlian residency.
Katie Bartlett,51 lefter her home in Kansas, USA earlier this year and came to Ipswich to marry Gordon on April 27.
"We met on the internet in April 2000" Mrs Bartlett said. A couple of face-to-face meetings led to the decision to marry.
She believed she would automatically qualify to become an Australian citizen.
But when they visited a bank to open a joint account, they found that Mrs Bartlett had to have permanent residence status to be bale to do that.
They have since been informed Mrs Bartlett's visitor visa expired on August 26 and she must apply for permanent reisency or return to the US.
A letter from Citzenship Minister Gary Hardgrage says she will have to be assessed against the criteria for gaining a visa.
The application fee and costs total about $2000.
Ironically, if Mrs Bartlett overstayed her visa, she could be deported and the Australian Government would pay her face to the US.
The Bartletts say they have tried every avenue they can think of to raise the money.
Mr Bartlett, 50 works two days a week as a gardener and takes home $175. He has been unable to get full-time work.
His wife is not allowed to work on a visitor's visa.
"I was told that, as I was not earning enough, I could not get a loan". Mr Bartlett siad.
They must send in the application for permanent reisdency by August 19.
Once Mrs Bartlett submits an application, she will be eligible for a bridging visa.
A spokesman for Immigration Minister Philip Ruddock said Mrs Bartlett would hnot have beengiven a visitor's visa if the department had known she intended to stay in Austrlia permanently.
If the department did not receive a permanent visa application from Mrs Bartlett by August 26 "she'll become unlawful and she'll be removed". the spokesman said."

Just interested to hear your commentson the above.

Regards

Caz

Hang in there all those of you who are waiting for your PRs.

etlniwd Sep 12th 2002 11:37 am

Sounds like one of those stories that the newspapers dig up when there is no other news.

The woman is either incredibly naive or she's a bit of a con artiste. Did she not read the conditions on her visitor's visa ?
How come they can afford to fly back and forth from Australia to the USA 2-3 times ? Why does she need a bank account if she has no money ?

I'm sure the kind readers will send in their cheques.

Somebody ought to tell her though that she doesn't qualify for a spouse visa anyway as she's only been with this bloke for a few months.

Jaj Sep 12th 2002 1:13 pm

The 12 month co-habitation rule does not apply to those legally married (which it
appears this couple are).

Jeremy

>On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:37:16 +0000, etlniwd <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Somebody ought to tell her though that she doesn't qualify for a spouse visa anyway
    >as she's only been with this bloke for a few months.
    >--
    >nick
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

etlniwd Sep 12th 2002 1:59 pm

Originally posted by Jaj:
The 12 month co-habitation rule does not apply to those legally married (which it
appears this couple are).

Jeremy

[
True, I didn't realise that.

BTW - I'm not necessarily having a dig at this couple - more the way it has been reported. We get sensational newspaper stories like this in the UK every week. The newspapers usually make out that the Home Office is being a big bully whereas there are usually underlying facts that the press conveniently omit.