New Start

Old May 14th 2020, 3:07 am
Just Joined

Brian_Dune is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up New Start

Hello Everyone,

Hope you are all well and safe, I am completely new to this forum and any help would be much appreciated.

I am very interested in migrating to Australia, the whole process is challenging, I have lost my job here Ireland and was wondering if I would be able to do the process myself?

Or is it necessary to go via a migration agent?
Old May 14th 2020, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Start

You can attempt it yourself, but, I generally recommend doing it with the help of an agent.
Old May 14th 2020, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with verystormy.

Before you get too far down the track with this and perhaps falsely raise expectations, make sure that your occupation is one that can actually lead to a visa. Read the ANZSCO job definition closely - it has to be a near-match at minimum.

Last edited by carcajou; May 14th 2020 at 9:24 am.
Old May 14th 2020, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

You might look at different options depending upon whether you are looking at a permanent or temporary visa option.
As above if looking at a permanent residence visa option many people would be looking at the skilled visa options which require an occupation in demand.

Also be aware of timelines especially during the COVID-19 situation, at the current time temporary visa holders are not permitted entry unless there are exceptional circumstances.
Old May 16th 2020, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Brian_Dune is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by verystormy
You can attempt it yourself, but, I generally recommend doing it with the help of an agent.
To be honest my main concern is the would be the cost of hiring a migration agent, as I have limited funds.
Old May 16th 2020, 10:34 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brian_Dune
To be honest my main concern is the would be the cost of hiring a migration agent, as I have limited funds.
Plenty of people have done their own applications successfully. Others prefer to use an agent. Reasons why you might choose an agent include having an adverse immigration history, you have committed criminal offences, you have health issues, you're not confident to do the application yourself, or simply because you'd prefer to use an agent instead of doing it yourself.

It's up to you really. If you're having difficulty choosing, perhaps have an initial consultation with an agent and decide from there? Whichever way you go, good luck
Old May 16th 2020, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brian_Dune
This is a red flag. The visa cost alone for permanent residence is $4,000. On top of that there are the skills assessment fees (several hundred dollars), IELTS fees (several hundred dollars), and so on. Altogether it's over $5,000 before you've even gotten the visa.

If you're successful, moving here will be one of the most expensive things you ever do in your life. Forget about the plane ticket - everything from the television down to the napkin holders needs to be repurchased. You will probably find that buying everything again here, new, is more cost-effective than shipping everything over. You will need to have aside several months' of income to tide you over while you try to find a job. It can be very difficult to find something before you come, you really need to be on the ground. Sometimes it happens quickly, but what if it takes you 4 months? Can you survive?

A migration agent is a tiny fraction of the overall cost of moving.

How old are you, can you do the backpacker visa first? Much cheaper, gives you an opportunity to experience the country first, and build something of a network that you can tap into to get a job if you apply for the permanent visa.
Old May 17th 2020, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about the shipping thing. When we added up cost of replacement of our goods for insurance purposes it came to far more than the shipping costs. Plus some things are not easily replaced, most people want to ship some personal things. I guess it depends on your situation but even my son decided it was worth a small move cube to ship some of his things from his small flat. Depends what you have I guess.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 1:08 am
Just Joined

Teddy.Sean is an unknown quantity at this point

You can firstly search online for the information you need to complete the process, like which immigration scheme suits you because they either need you to study in Australia or acquire skill assessment.
Most the information are transparent and nothing major different than what an immigration agent can tell you.
But if you've needs to write certain documents in a professional way, the agents might be able to help you.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teddy.Sean
You can firstly search online for the information you need to complete the process, like which immigration scheme suits you because they either need you to study in Australia or acquire skill assessment.
Most the information are transparent and nothing major different than what an immigration agent can tell you.
But if you've needs to write certain documents in a professional way, the agents might be able to help you.
You have not one clue about what you are taking about