New SOL and students

Old May 20th 2010, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New SOL and students

We're down to either the temporary 457 visa which allows you to work for 4 years and apply for PR after 2 or RSMS.

I think we are at the stage of game over however. Tradies just don't get taken on as employees. Even if we did find one which would be remote, the thought of being laid off if work slows down (which is does frequently on site) would just push me over the edge I think. You only get 28 days to either leave the country or find a new sponsor.

At the moment I just see us spending all of our savings, possibly ending up in debt with absolutely nothing to show for it other than a couple of years in Australia.
Old May 20th 2010, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kingseat
We're down to either the temporary 457 visa which allows you to work for 4 years and apply for PR after 2 or RSMS.

I think we are at the stage of game over however. Tradies just don't get taken on as employees. Even if we did find one which would be remote, the thought of being laid off if work slows down (which is does frequently on site) would just push me over the edge I think. You only get 28 days to either leave the country or find a new sponsor.

At the moment I just see us spending all of our savings, possibly ending up in debt with absolutely nothing to show for it other than a couple of years in Australia.
I know you've been feeling quite negative recently kingseat, and this will only be cuasing more stress to an already stressfull situation to you. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

We feel we have been very lucky with timing and the recent changes, only by only a matter of weeks, though will be taking NOTHING for granted until we actually have PR.

Best wishes and positive vibes to everyone who finds them selves in the horrible situation of being greatly affected by the new list and implications of it.

Cheers
Mandy
Old May 20th 2010, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Mandy.

Part of me is glad but the other is sad. We so hoped that this would work out and my poor husband is devastated. He just doesn't want to go back.

Good luck to you guys as well. You have been lucky with your timing!
Old May 20th 2010, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Mandy.

Part of me is glad but the other is sad. We so hoped that this would work out and my poor husband is devastated. He just doesn't want to go back.

Good luck to you guys as well. You have been lucky with your timing!
Oh no, it makes it all the more upsetting when you are both feeling a bit different about it too. Thankfully hubbie n I have always been on the same page about the whole thing. . .though he does get a bit more frustrated than me at all the changes!! I've always just tried to keep positive and make the most of what we have. We would both be devasted though at having to go back.

All the best to you both, all you can both really do is try to appreciate n be thankfull at what you do have n work from there!! All the best to you.
Mandy
Old May 20th 2010, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, really sorry to hear you are so down. Unless you are on this roller coaster ride of the student route, I don't think any one can understand how hard it is, but if it's your only chance to get here, that's why so many have taken this route. Have just clocked up over 4 years now, (3 years study + 1 year 885 visa lodge), and according to agent must be prepared for at least another year before the visa might come through!!
All the best and hope everything works out for you.
Old May 20th 2010, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

we are in a different place to all previous posts (as say we, when I mean my 22yr old son!) he has been on a 572 visa since Jan '10 on a hairdressing course. I read the transitions visa thing to say that he can transfer to a course on the list but has to put his graduate app in my dec 2012.

can anyone guide accordingly??? also the local sunshine coast tafe is now only offering bricklaying as a course on the list!!
Old May 20th 2010, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
we are in a different place to all previous posts (as say we, when I mean my 22yr old son!) he has been on a 572 visa since Jan '10 on a hairdressing course. I read the transitions visa thing to say that he can transfer to a course on the list but has to put his graduate app in my dec 2012.

can anyone guide accordingly??? also the local sunshine coast tafe is now only offering bricklaying as a course on the list!!
I might have misunderstood you, but firstly note the transitional arrangements are nothing to do with changing courses.

If your son sticks with hairdressing and completes his course in time (I have no idea how long this takes) he can apply for a graduate visa as a hairdresser so long as he applies before 2012. However a graduate visa is still a temporary visa, 18 months and it does not guarantee PR at the end of it. Your son would have to find an employer sponsor or hope that hairdressing is on one of the state migration plans and that he manages to obtain state sponsorship. It leaves rather a lot to chance.

Changing course now leaves a lot to chance as well, as the SOL might be updated again before he is in a position to apply for PR. The student route really is a very uncertain and difficult paths.

The government is specifically trying to reduce the number of student who enrol on a course simply to gain PR, so if there were an easy alternative then I am sure they would have thought of it and closed it too.

Have you considered any other visas? Would he qualify for last remaining relative visa? Has he already had WHV? etc.
Old May 20th 2010, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I might have misunderstood you, but firstly note the transitional arrangements are nothing to do with changing courses.

If your son sticks with hairdressing and completes his course in time (I have no idea how long this takes) he can apply for a graduate visa as a hairdresser so long as he applies before 2012. However a graduate visa is still a temporary visa, 18 months and it does not guarantee PR at the end of it. Your son would have to find an employer sponsor or hope that hairdressing is on one of the state migration plans and that he manages to obtain state sponsorship. It leaves rather a lot to chance.

Changing course now leaves a lot to chance as well, as the SOL might be updated again before he is in a position to apply for PR. The student route really is a very uncertain and difficult paths.

The government is specifically trying to reduce the number of student who enrol on a course simply to gain PR, so if there were an easy alternative then I am sure they would have thought of it and closed it too.

Have you considered any other visas? Would he qualify for last remaining relative visa? Has he already had WHV? etc.
Last remaining relative is out as although my husband has been his dad since he was 1yr old and he hasnt seen his birth father since he was a kid he cant come over on that visa.

He came over on a WHV, has completed his 3months working to be able to extend it to 2yrs (should he need it).

He wouldnt go on a graduate visa after his course as he can go the family sponsored route apparently.

Its this initial course thats the problem. He has been told by tafe that because his course isnt on the list that he has to transfer (ie transition) to another course and complete it by Dec 2012. The hairdressing is only a 1yr course finishing in Dec...so he would have to choose another course then anyway.

He works at a hairdressers who has been signing off his hours towards the TRA requirements too. not sure if that clarifies it any better for you ???

thank you for the reply x really appreciate it
Old May 20th 2010, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

He wouldnt go on a graduate visa after his course as he can go the family sponsored route apparently.
I am not sure what visa that could be, do you know? The only family sponsored visa I am familiar with is the family sponsored skilled migrant visa, which he would not qualify for unless he has experience and qualifications in an occupation on the SOL.

Its this initial course thats the problem. He has been told by tafe that because his course isnt on the list that he has to transfer (ie transition) to another course and complete it by Dec 2012. The hairdressing is only a 1yr course finishing in Dec...so he would have to choose another course then anyway.

He works at a hairdressers who has been signing off his hours towards the TRA requirements too. not sure if that clarifies it any better for you ???
I was already clarified. The college is just advising (not telling surely?) that if PR is the goal, he should transfer to a course relating to an occupation on the SOL. As I said in my last post this might work, but he should be aware that if the SOL changes again he is back to square one.
Old May 20th 2010, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Last remaining relative is out as although my husband has been his dad since he was 1yr old and he hasnt seen his birth father since he was a kid he cant come over on that visa.

He came over on a WHV, has completed his 3months working to be able to extend it to 2yrs (should he need it).

thank you for the reply x really appreciate it
Also students on trade courses MUST do the graduate visa after the chosen course in order to satisify TRA (1 year job ready working in the industry). So it is now 3 years minimum before being able to apply for PR. A long time to keep fingers crossed for 'x' trade staying on the list :-(.

Cheers
Mandy
Old May 20th 2010, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mandyp
Also students on trade courses MUST do the graduate visa after the chosen course in order to satisify TRA (1 year job ready working in the industry). So it is now 3 years minimum before being able to apply for PR. A long time to keep fingers crossed for 'x' trade staying on the list :-(.

Cheers
Mandy
Cheers Girls,

Mandy:- I will double check what you have said, cheers - as he was told he can build up his TRA work experience whilst doing is course, which he has been doing, which is being signed off by his boss who had to be TRA registered and then we can sponsor him and not go on the graduate visa.

My cousin did the 2yr bricklaying course and didnt have to go on the graduate visa and is waiting for PR via family sponsored route too.

I think I need to get it all straight again in my head as its all become a confusing mess to be honest.

Your right, it is a long time to keep fingers crossed that its still on the list...but where theres hope eh? x cheers girls and thank you
Old May 20th 2010, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Karma sent to you both for your help
Old May 20th 2010, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

I wouldn't be relying on the family sponsorship either as I believe (so I have read) that it could be changed also.
Old May 20th 2010, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mandyp

Cheers
Mandy
I have been told that RSMS doesn't require TRA nor does the 457 visa.
Old May 20th 2010, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers Girls,

Mandy:- I will double check what you have said, cheers - as he was told he can build up his TRA work experience whilst doing is course, which he has been doing, which is being signed off by his boss who had to be TRA registered and then we can sponsor him and not go on the graduate visa.

My cousin did the 2yr bricklaying course and didnt have to go on the graduate visa and is waiting for PR via family sponsored route too.

I think I need to get it all straight again in my head as its all become a confusing mess to be honest.

Your right, it is a long time to keep fingers crossed that its still on the list...but where theres hope eh? x cheers girls and thank you
Before the changes in Jan this year, you had to complete 900 hours in the industry by the end of your course (hubby did this). The changes came in for anyone applying for TRA after 1st of Jan 2010, you now HAVE to complete 1 year post qualification and complete the Job Ready Programme. He will still need to do some hours whilst studying but it's not as many now.

Cheers
Mandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.