New to the site, don't know where to start

Old Feb 15th 2016, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Nat18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to the site, don't know where to start

Hi all,
This is my first post sorry if it's a bit long, basically me and my husband are 100% both interested and keen to eventually make a move to Australia it's something we've talked about a lot, it wouldn't be for at least 3 years as we are currently trying to save as much money as possible- I know it's a massive life changing move not just for us but for our two daughters aged 11 and 3. My main worry is we won't actually be able to get a visa my husband has his own small building company here it's just him and he employs one other it's doing really well and he can do everything within the building/roofing trade, the only problem is even though he has been building/roofing for 15 years since he left school, on paper he has no qualifications. Would this pose a big problem for a visa do they require qualifications for construction/builders. He would have all paperwork showing its a fully functioning business with good turn over and is also a ltd company and VAT registered. He's not looking to take his business over to Australia but would like to be employed in the same field even if it meant starting from the bottom labouring or similar. Unfortunately my highest qualification is an nvq 3 in business administration and childcare learn and development so any visa would have to be through my husband? Sorry for long post, any advice appreciated
Thanks
Nat
Old Feb 16th 2016, 2:55 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to the site, don't know where to start

First things first. Based on what you say I would think that you are going to find it difficult if not impossible to qualify for a visa. Take a good look at Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection and see what you think you might be eligible for. Once you've done some research come back with questions and we'll be more than happy to help.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Unless your husband's company is pulling in a huge turnover, several hundred thousand, a business visa isn't going to be an option. This would leave skilled migration.

For this you need to go to the immigration website Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection and look for the SOL and CSOL and see if he fits into an occupation on there.

Not having qualifications can be a show stopper in some occupations, but in other cases experience can substitute, it varies by occupation so firstly you need to pick one off the list that most closely rese,bles what he does.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Feb 16th 2016 at 6:02 am.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 5:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks both for the info I will have a look on the SOL and CSOL lists, dream could be ended before it's even begun
Old Feb 16th 2016, 6:12 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nat18
Thanks both for the info I will have a look on the SOL and CSOL lists, dream could be ended before it's even begun
If you are not planning to move yet, there is still time to get qualifications if needed. Did your OH do any training or apprenticeship at all?
Old Feb 16th 2016, 6:26 am
Just Joined

No he hasn't he literally left school and worked for his uncles roofing business as a labourer and has built up from there, I guess he could get some qualifications as there is still plenty of time, what would they require for a builder? Would it have to be some sort of degree.
Thankyou
Old Feb 16th 2016, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

No he hasn't he literally left school and worked for his uncles roofing business as a labourer and has built up from there, I guess he could get some qualifications as there is still plenty of time, what would they require for a builder? Would it have to be some sort of degree.
Thankyou
Plenty of people emigrate without qualifications, especially in trade occupations.

As I said in my earlier post, first of all you need to identify an occupation on the skills occupation lists. Only then can you establish what is required in terms of qualifications and whether experience will be enough.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks bermudashorts, I will have a good look this evening.
Appreciate all the advice everyone
Old Feb 17th 2016, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

fillinghams is an unknown quantity at this point

Sooner rather than later the dept Prime minister says immigration should be reduced by at least 30%

They dont like immigrants here as much as you would expect, saying 90% of us are one of some description
Old Feb 17th 2016, 4:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fillinghams
Sooner rather than later the dept Prime minister says immigration should be reduced by at least 30%

They dont like immigrants here as much as you would expect, saying 90% of us are one of some description
There's a thread on that in the Barbie, hot air, as ever, he's been following that tack for years.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Hi again Iv had a look on the skills list and my husbands job would come under project builder, where can I find out about entry requirements or if qualifications are needed?
Thanks
Old Feb 21st 2016, 9:22 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again Iv had a look on the skills list and my husbands job would come under project builder, where can I find out about entry requirements or if qualifications are needed?
Thanks
On the DIBP site! You look at what his skill is on the SOL/CSOL and beside it will be the name of the skills assessing authority. You then go to their website to see what is required to pass the assessment. Once you've done that you can look at whether you will pass the points test (also on the DIBP site).

If you're really not able to read and digest the information on the official site you might want to make an appointment to meet with a MARA registered migration agent for an initial consultation. Many will give a free first consult. Make sure they're registered and that you are actually talking to the agent and not just an employee. The ones who are generally recommended on here are George Lombard (in Sydney but works online) and GoMatilda. I have met Alan Collett from GoMatilda and can say he's just as nice in person as online.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou for that Dorothy, I will have a good read.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Also don't rush to get qualifications until you have established what will be required. I say this because only experience after qualification counts. With some trades then you can substitute experience for qualifications and they will knock that off from the beginning.

So with 15 years then they might reduce it to 12 years experience after qualification ( using three years experience in lieu of quals)

But if he does a qual now he will have no post qual experience to count.

So as said before try to find out exactly what is required for assessment and also look at points on DIBP to see if he can qualify.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks
So according to DIBP this occupation is assessed by Vetassess and according to vetassess this iccupation will require a degree. There is no way to substitute experience for the degree in this particular occupation. You will therefore need to go back to the occupation lists and see if there is any other occupation that he might fit into.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.