British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   New Points system for GSM 175 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/new-points-system-gsm-175-a-663234/)

mandhani Apr 9th 2010 3:25 am

New Points system for GSM 175

Hi All,

As there are many people like me who have skill assessment , IELTS and other things done but MODL has been taken out that makes my total points to 110 as opposed to earlier 125.I got IELTS overall 7 but not 7 in each module.

I have 9 years of IT experience in top IT companies with a masters from the best of the technology college name as IIT Kanpur.

So going by the current situation I am anxiously waiting for new point system as I am not very keen on State sponsorship.

Do any one here any head up as where the discussion paper is heading to and when it will be out and implemented.

Thanks.

shafaqat309 Apr 9th 2010 4:44 am

Re: New Points system for GSM 175

Originally Posted by mandhani (Post 8483317)
Hi All,

As there are many people like me who have skill assessment , IELTS and other things done but MODL has been taken out that makes my total points to 110 as opposed to earlier 125.I got IELTS overall 7 but not 7 in each module.

I have 9 years of IT experience in top IT companies with a masters from the best of the technology college name as IIT Kanpur.

So going by the current situation I am anxiously waiting for new point system as I am not very keen on State sponsorship.

Do any one here any head up as where the discussion paper is heading to and when it will be out and implemented.

Thanks.

Why not very keen on State Sponsorship?

qamar_qadian Apr 9th 2010 5:10 am

Originally Posted by mandhani (Post 8483317)
Hi All,

Thanks.

If you need to apply before new SOL comes

Option 1:- Re- take IELTS and try to scrore 7 in each.
Option 2:- State sponsarship.( which you are not keen to)

I would suggest to apply after retaking ielts if possible because you never know what is the new SOL.

mandhani Apr 9th 2010 10:44 am

Originally Posted by shafaqat309 (Post 8483424)
Why not very keen on State Sponsorship?

The reason for not keen on sponsorship is I am from IT field (Java/J2EE) and most of the jobs(I would say 60-70%) are in Sydney and my ASCO code is not listed on NSW SS.

For other state there is 2 years obligation and I am bit apprehensive about fulfilling that obligation if I am unable to find a job there soon because of unavailability and don't want to abuse the system.

These are my thoughts and may be someone from the forum can enlighten me on this in case there are better idea for this.

mandhani Apr 9th 2010 10:47 am

Originally Posted by qamar_qadian (Post 8483472)
If you need to apply before new SOL comes

Option 1:- Re- take IELTS and try to scrore 7 in each.
Option 2:- State sponsarship.( which you are not keen to)

I would suggest to apply after retaking ielts if possible because you never know what is the new SOL.

I am thinking of option 1 as mainstream and may go for obtaining SS if nothing else works out. The problem is SS takes 3 months and I am not left with that much of time till 1st of July even if I start today. Whether there is any state which can give approval say in a month?

shafaqat309 Apr 9th 2010 10:55 am

Originally Posted by mandhani (Post 8483932)
I am thinking of option 1 as mainstream and may go for obtaining SS if nothing else works out. The problem is SS takes 3 months and I am not left with that much of time till 1st of July even if I start today. Whether there is any state which can give approval say in a month?

If you think you can get IELTS 7 each then don't waste time for SS and go for IELTS.

Mongobear Apr 9th 2010 2:53 pm

But keep in mind, that a normal 175 GSM application without any priority-processing catalysts (job-offer, CSL, SS) takes 3 years from the time of lodging - even with IELTS 7 in each of the modules. SSed applications take "just" 15 months. Still far too much but at least more than the half less ...

Good luck
Uli

haman Apr 9th 2010 5:49 pm

I know that SA gives their result in 4 weeks if you havn't applied for any visa yet. I hope this helps.

mandhani Apr 10th 2010 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mongobear (Post 8484377)
But keep in mind, that a normal 175 GSM application without any priority-processing catalysts (job-offer, CSL, SS) takes 3 years from the time of lodging - even with IELTS 7 in each of the modules. SSed applications take "just" 15 months. Still far too much but at least more than the half less ...

Good luck
Uli

I don't have any problem in waiting.. In fact it works in my favor as I am in US for long term assignment and expected to long last for quite some time..

My intent behind this post was that if anyone is having any heads up about new point system without going through the SS/IELTS route.. The reason I am very interested in that is after reading the discussion paper it looked to me that new point system may turn in my favor given 9 years experience and Masters from Top Institute...to get more points

iamthecreaturefromuranus Apr 10th 2010 12:32 pm

"BritishExpats".... 'course it is. !! :rolleyes:

paulandcelia Apr 10th 2010 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Mongobear (Post 8484377)

Good luck
Uli

when do SSed applications take " just" 15 months?????? Only maybe if you are on CSL as well otherwise its 2012 like every one else!

Alucard Apr 10th 2010 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 8486247)
"BritishExpats".... 'course it is. !! :rolleyes:

Any prob, dude?

Mongobear Apr 10th 2010 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by paulandcelia (Post 8486345)
when do SSed applications take " just" 15 months?????? Only maybe if you are on CSL as well otherwise its 2012 like every one else!

Think you're right. Acoording to the table here it looked like it's 15 months but it's only for:

# Applications from persons who are nominated by a state/territory government in accordance with an approved State Management Plan or applicants who have nominated an occupation on the Critical Skills List (CSL).

D*mn!

paulandcelia Apr 10th 2010 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Alucard (Post 8486497)
Any prob, dude?

stik around long enough on this site you'll get the drift

mandhani Apr 11th 2010 12:03 am

Originally Posted by paulandcelia (Post 8487025)
stik around long enough on this site you'll get the drift

Well I am in the CSL and my occupation is there in the draft version of the SOL so priority processing is not a problem for me though I want otherwise :)

I think this thread is taking different turn in terms of processing time whereas I would like to know any heads up for the new point system as what shape it is expected to take and when it will be announced and implemented.