Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

New here, looking for some advice or help!!

Wikiposts

New here, looking for some advice or help!!

Old May 15th 2012, 3:06 am
Just Joined

Ladyface is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New here, looking for some advice or help!!

Hi there my name is Lynsey.

I live in Scotland at the moment. My husband and i are hoping within the next 2 years to move to around Perth. My husbands parents live in Secret Harbour. We have 3 children aged 7,5 and 2. My partner is a bricklayer, at the moment i am a stay at home mum.

We have looked into various applications and understand the process, and as my partners parents have emigrated 6 years ago, they are helping us along with the things we need to do. I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on the whole process.
Old May 15th 2012, 3:19 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New here, looking for some advice or help!!

Originally Posted by Ladyface

I live in Scotland at the moment. My husband and i are hoping within the next 2 years to move to around Perth. My husbands parents live in Secret Harbour. We have 3 children aged 7,5 and 2. My partner is a bricklayer, at the moment i am a stay at home mum.

We have looked into various applications and understand the process, and as my partners parents have emigrated 6 years ago, they are helping us along with the things we need to do. I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on the whole process.
Most of the folk who will guide you are prob asleep in OZ right now so hang in there and wait for them to wake up

You could ask a nice Moderator to move your post to the Immigration branch of BE.
Old May 15th 2012, 8:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Most of the folk who will guide you are prob asleep in OZ right now so hang in there and wait for them to wake up

You could ask a nice Moderator to move your post to the Immigration branch of BE.
Morning

Not sure if I qualify as a nice Moderator but I'll move it anyway
Old May 15th 2012, 8:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE

If you're started looking into it I assume you've discovered www.immi.gov.au which is the Dept of Immigration website, and worked out whether you qualify for a visa. I'm guessing you are looking to go on your husband's skills?
Old May 15th 2012, 9:23 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Bricklayer is on SOL schedule one, so your husband (assuming he meets the other criteria) could apply for an independent visa. He could go for a sponsored one too if there are any states with his occupation on, or family sponsored. The system is changing on the 1st July to SkillSelect, so there's no point in really telling you about the current visas (175/176/475), as they won't exist in a couple of months. SkillSelect will involve submitting an expression of interest (EoI) to register your interest in applying for a visa. If/when you get invited, you can then lodge your application. The visas that are being introduced are the 189 (independent, permanent residence), 190 (state sponsored, permanent residence), and 489 (state or family sponsored, provisional residence - up to four years).

Firstly, your husband needs to get his skills assessed. For a bricklayer, it'll be done by Trades Recognition Australia. If you have enough points, you can use your UK passports to prove your English language ability. A lot of people find they need the points though, so they take the IELTS test. All sevens on the IELTS test will get you ten points, and all eights will get you twenty points. At some point down the road, you will need medicals & police checks (PCCs). It's advisable to avoid getting them done until you are requested to do so by DIAC, as they have a relatively short validity (up to a year). If your CO allocation takes too long, you can end up having to redo them. Not a cheap mistake to make! You can get the PCCs from the ACPO Criminal Records Office. They cost £35 each for standard service (ten working days) or £70 each for premium service (two working days). There are a limited amount of doctors that are authorised to perform visa medicals. You'll have to choose one from the list of panel doctors (there's only one in Scotland). I've compiled a list of the current facilities/costs in this thread (I can't be bothered typing it all out again! ).

I've probably missed something, but hopefully it helps a bit. Good luck with your application.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Morning

Not sure if I qualify as a nice Moderator but I'll move it anyway
Aww. I think you're a nice mod.