British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   New and desperate for advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/new-desperate-advice-805363/)

alyj Aug 7th 2013 11:22 pm

New and desperate for advice

Hello Everyone
I am about to embark on migrating to Australia I am looking at WA where apparently my skills are needed? Can anyone help with 'do I stand a chance'?
I have a recent Bsc in Food Technology and have been a skills trainer for many years, I work for local Government training in schools Health programmes.
I am also thinking I maybe able to apply for the Vocational Teacher category?
I know I seriously am confused and need help:frown:
Alyj

old.sparkles Aug 8th 2013 12:44 am

Re: New and desperate for advice

Originally Posted by alyj (Post 10840260)
Hello Everyone
I am about to embark on migrating to Australia I am looking at WA where apparently my skills are needed? Can anyone help with 'do I stand a chance'?
I have a recent Bsc in Food Technology and have been a skills trainer for many years, I work for local Government training in schools Health programmes.
Alyj

Hi Alyj,

There is some excellent advice in the BE wiki in the Australian immigration forum - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/A_Roug...lled_Migration

I take in that New Zealand is no longer on the cards, nor the agents you were using?

alyj Aug 8th 2013 7:35 am

We have decided Australia would be a better option as I've recently completed my studies, I have cousins and friends there too! Thank for your help.
I need to look for teaching or food tech jobs now just don't know where to start?

old.sparkles Aug 8th 2013 7:39 am

Originally Posted by alyj (Post 10840703)
We have decided Australia would be a better option as I've recently completed my studies, I have cousins and friends there too! Thank for your help.
I need to look for teaching or food tech jobs now just don't know where to start?

The wiki link explains everything. 1st step is to see if you have a skill in demand.

Alfresco Aug 8th 2013 10:58 am

Hello Everyone
Alyj

Hi Alyj and Welcome to BE.

First see if you qualify for a visa:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/

Good luck. :)

alyj Aug 8th 2013 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 10840940)
Hi Alyj and Welcome to BE.

First see if you qualify for a visa:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/

Good luck. :)

Thank you I have already done some research and contacted a reputable migration company that regularly comes on here, my occupations are on the shortage list, I would like to be considered within a area that needs my skills!
WA is one of them and it maybe easier for me???! Employer or State sponsorship .
Just wish I had advice on how to start contacting the right organisations to apply for work !!

old.sparkles Aug 8th 2013 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by alyj (Post 10841030)
Thank you I have already done some research and contacted a reputable migration company that regularly comes on here, my occupations are on the shortage list, I would like to be considered within a area that needs my skills!
WA is one of them and it maybe easier for me???! Employer or State sponsorship .
Just wish I had advice on how to start contacting the right organisations to apply for work !!

I'm not sure what to suggest. For state sponsorship, you would need to get your skills assessed, possibly do IELTS and be able to achieve the points total. Employer sponsorship is not easy for most - you could try asking in the main Australia forum, but other than using google, and looking on Seek, I'm not sure.

Pollyana Aug 9th 2013 3:13 pm

Hello Everyone
Alyj

I'm going to move your thread to the Aussie Immigration forum as its getting quite detailed :)

alyj Aug 9th 2013 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10842792)
I'm going to move your thread to the Aussie Immigration forum as its getting quite detailed :)

Thank uoi

Ryan2515 Aug 9th 2013 5:39 pm

Why don't you apply for a PR 189 visa if you can get the points

alyj Aug 9th 2013 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Ryan2515 (Post 10842995)
Why don't you apply for a PR 189 visa if you can get the points

Can you explain what a pr189 is please

alyj Aug 9th 2013 5:43 pm

You! Sorry predictive text!!!

alyj Aug 9th 2013 5:44 pm

Sorry meant you! Predictive text!!

Bermudashorts Aug 9th 2013 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by alyj (Post 10841030)

So if you have found that your occupation is on the skills list and on the WA list, why are you looking for jobs as your net step? That is called making things hard for yourself, looking into the steps towards getting a visa would make much more sense at this stage..

Pollyana Aug 10th 2013 5:29 am

Originally Posted by alyj (Post 10843004)
Can you explain what a pr189 is please

189 is a skilled independent visa - means you have no sponsorship, therefore you are not tied to one State or one employer.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skills.../subclass-189/