the new contributory parents visa thread

Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

WheresTheWind is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: the new contributory parents visa thread

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
In the absence of an increase in the number of CP visas available annually I think we are likely to see a lengthening of the queue beyond the present wait of some 12 to 14 months; I had a conversation with a chap in DIAC Central Office a couple of weeks ago and was advised they already have the equivalent of 2 years of visa grants in the form of CP visa applications ...

This isn't great news, but it is best to have sensible expectations as to when visas are likely to be granted.

Best regards.

Hi Alan

Thanks for posting that information, disheartening though it is.

I'm hoping to get my parent out to Melbourne on a CPV - they will be eligible to apply in Jan 2008 (2 years since I arrived).

It would appear from the current backlog that the number of applications is substantially outstripping the annual issue quota. Given that, I can only assume that by the time my folks get to the top of the queue, the processing time could be a number of years.

Do you think this visa category is likey to head the way of the non-contributory parent visa and eventually settle down to monumental back-log, or is there any chance that DIMIA might adjust the quota, to maintain this visa as a viable option to allow parents to migrate?
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

DerekM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WheresTheWind
Hi Alan

Thanks for posting that information, disheartening though it is.

I'm hoping to get my parent out to Melbourne on a CPV - they will be eligible to apply in Jan 2008 (2 years since I arrived).

It would appear from the current backlog that the number of applications is substantially outstripping the annual issue quota. Given that, I can only assume that by the time my folks get to the top of the queue, the processing time could be a number of years.

Do you think this visa category is likey to head the way of the non-contributory parent visa and eventually settle down to monumental back-log, or is there any chance that DIMIA might adjust the quota, to maintain this visa as a viable option to allow parents to migrate?
88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 88888
Why dont your parents put their application in now? By the time its reached the front of the queue you will have been there two years. Its a common approach.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DerekM
88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 88888
Why dont your parents put their application in now? By the time its reached the front of the queue you will have been there two years. Its a common approach.
Thanks for your response Derek

Definitely food for thought - I'd often wondered about that approach but I seem to remember reading that you have to have completed the two years' of residency as at date of application.

Has anyone else successfully used this approach?

I'd hate to encourage them to apply now, only for them to reach the head of the queue and be made to re-apply because they didn't meet that inital requirement (yes, I'm a real worrier !)
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your response Derek

Definitely food for thought - I'd often wondered about that approach but I seem to remember reading that you have to have completed the two years' of residency as at date of application.

Has anyone else successfully used this approach?

I'd hate to encourage them to apply now, only for them to reach the head of the queue and be made to re-apply because they didn't meet that inital requirement (yes, I'm a real worrier !)
Hi there if you go back to page 9 of this thread I replied to a thread about this and Alan Collet also replied it might make things clearer good luck
Janet
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by FRAYNE
Hi there if you go back to page 9 of this thread I replied to a thread about this and Alan Collet also replied it might make things clearer good luck
Janet
cheers Janet

I think my situation is different though - I've had PR from day 1 (Aussie wife and kid), so that's not a problem. The thing I need to clarify is whether the two years of residency needs to be complete at :

A. the time of application or
B. the time of visa grant

Unfortunately I think Alan's reply to you on page 9 would seem to indicate that option A is the correct one.

However, if anyone has heard otherwise, or my interpretation of Alan's reply is wrong, I'd love to be corrected!

For the record, we've bought a house and all that jazz and have absolutely no intention of returning to the UK

It's just a bit disappointing to go from thinking it was a one-year processing time to a 2 year-plus processing time, in the time it takes to read one entry on a forum
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

mollyflanders is a jewel in the roughmollyflanders is a jewel in the roughmollyflanders is a jewel in the roughmollyflanders is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: the new contributory parents visa thread

My daughter went with her australian husband to australia in february 2006 and i was very upset and my agent told me i could apply when he was back there 3 months so we applied last september and have now sent in meds and police checks, so perhaps they could apply, speaking to an agent would probably be your best bet. Please email me if you want more information.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mollyflanders
My daughter went with her australian husband to australia in february 2006 and i was very upset and my agent told me i could apply when he was back there 3 months so we applied last september and have now sent in meds and police checks, so perhaps they could apply, speaking to an agent would probably be your best bet. Please email me if you want more information.
Wow, that sounds remarkably similar to our situation - my wife is an Australian citizen and we moved over here in Jan 2006. We had spent the previous 4 years in Glasgow. (prior to that we were in Melbourne for a couple of years, although I don't think that has any bearing on the situation).

Can I just ask - were your daughter and Son-in-law both resident in the UK immediately prior to returning to Oz in Feb '06? - I'm just asking in case your SIL was already a settled Oz resident at that time. That I think would be a different situation to us. My wife didn't qualify as a settled resident since she had been living with me in the UK for those 4 years.

Sorry for the long-winded question, but your situation sounds very encouraging, and it sounds like it might be well worth getting my folks moving with their application.

Thanks for your reply and all the best with the rest of your application.

Where are you planning to settle by the way?
Old Jul 9th 2007, 2:54 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that sounds remarkably similar to our situation - my wife is an Australian citizen and we moved over here in Jan 2006. We had spent the previous 4 years in Glasgow. (prior to that we were in Melbourne for a couple of years, although I don't think that has any bearing on the situation).

Can I just ask - were your daughter and Son-in-law both resident in the UK immediately prior to returning to Oz in Feb '06? - I'm just asking in case your SIL was already a settled Oz resident at that time. That I think would be a different situation to us. My wife didn't qualify as a settled resident since she had been living with me in the UK for those 4 years.

Sorry for the long-winded question, but your situation sounds very encouraging, and it sounds like it might be well worth getting my folks moving with their application.

Thanks for your reply and all the best with the rest of your application.

Where are you planning to settle by the way?
anybody heard anything recently on the CPV, either permanent or temporary?

just an update, i have just spoken to them, and they are currently looking at mid to late august.
great news

Last edited by Sleeping Beauty; Jul 9th 2007 at 3:05 am. Reason: new info
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

mollyflanders is a jewel in the roughmollyflanders is a jewel in the roughmollyflanders is a jewel in the roughmollyflanders is a jewel in the rough

hopefully we won't be too long then, we are september.............heres hoping
Old Jul 9th 2007, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

barbara townend is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty

just an update, i have just spoken to them, and they are currently looking at mid to late august.
great news
Whoopee!! Mine is 18th September and I am so ready. I had my bag nicked by an 11 year old boy on friday with my purse and cards and everything in it and I really miss my daughter at the moment.Im disappointed really cos I know the boy well and Ive spent a lot of time with him teaching him how to cook.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Regarding the requirement to be a permanent resident for 2 years, does anybody know if this time starts from when your child actually takes up residence in Australia or can it be counted from when the visa was activated? My daughter entered Australia to activate her visa in April 2006, but didn't actually emigrate permanently till February 2007.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 10:34 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Regarding the requirement to be a permanent resident for 2 years, does anybody know if this time starts from when your child actually takes up residence in Australia or can it be counted from when the visa was activated? My daughter entered Australia to activate her visa in April 2006, but didn't actually emigrate permanently till February 2007.
Hi

Been having a look at the DIAC and Centrelink sites for you.

DIAC states she must be a settled Australian Citizen or PR - what the interpretation of that is has, I think, been raised before - can I suggest a search for that in this forum ?

Centrelink current regulations for an Assurer state " assurer must have income greater than the threshold for the current FY plus income greater than the threshold for the 2 previous FYs plus be an Australian Resident (no mention of being "settled" here!).

As you will probably know, we have just started the current FY at 1 July.

Hopefully this has helped, even if only a little ! As with all these things, a phone call from your daughter to the relevant department is sometimes the way to go.

Good luck

Jim
Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Thanks very much for this. Something else has occured to me. As theAOS is for ten years, what happens if daughter gives up work after a couple of years to have kids? Does anybody know? She will be supported by her hubby who is earning a good salaray, but don't want to ask him to give the AOS as he may want to sponsor his parents some time.

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Hi

Been having a look at the DIAC and Centrelink sites for you.

DIAC states she must be a settled Australian Citizen or PR - what the interpretation of that is has, I think, been raised before - can I suggest a search for that in this forum ?

Centrelink current regulations for an Assurer state " assurer must have income greater than the threshold for the current FY plus income greater than the threshold for the 2 previous FYs plus be an Australian Resident (no mention of being "settled" here!).

As you will probably know, we have just started the current FY at 1 July.

Hopefully this has helped, even if only a little ! As with all these things, a phone call from your daughter to the relevant department is sometimes the way to go.

Good luck

Jim
Old Jul 10th 2007, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Shirdav is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty

great news
What does "they are currently looking at mid to late August" mean?
Are they going to give a batch of visas out? I would be VERY INTERESTED!
Thanks.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 10:54 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Thanks very much for this. Something else has occured to me. As theAOS is for ten years, what happens if daughter gives up work after a couple of years to have kids? Does anybody know? She will be supported by her hubby who is earning a good salaray, but don't want to ask him to give the AOS as he may want to sponsor his parents some time.
Hi

Sorry........ can't help you with this bit ! Again...... a quick call to Centrelink by your daughter may resolve the issue.

There again you may be confusing your "assurer" with your "sponsor" - there are subtle but critical differences even though they are often the same person This one has certainly been raised before - suggest another search.

Regards

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.