Wikiposts

New arrival

Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

parsleysbum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New arrival

Hi there

Whats the first things to do on arrival in australia? How do you get a national insurance number? a bank account? medicare stuff?
As I had to wait so long for the visa I didnt want to torture myself by dreaming about actually being there. Flying to Perth on saturday and the panic has just set in, I've realised I havnt got a clue what to do

Help!
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:22 pm

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New arrival

Originally Posted by parsleysbum
Hi there

Whats the first things to do on arrival in australia? How do you get a national insurance number? a bank account? medicare stuff?
As I had to wait so long for the visa I didnt want to torture myself by dreaming about actually being there. Flying to Perth on saturday and the panic has just set in, I've realised I havnt got a clue what to do

Help!
TFN (tax file number) number you can do online as soon as you are here. Medicare just look in the yellow pages for the nearest Medicare shop/office and go in there with your passport sign a few forms and you will get your medicare number there and then.
Bank Account, we did it online about 2 weeks before we arrived and then went into our nominated branch on arrival and activated the account by signing a couple forms and showing them our ID. www.westpac.com.au

Good Luck
Sharon
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

taj5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Australian don't have national Insurance numbers.. however there are several Medicare offices in Perth, Medicares website is http://www.Medicare.gov.au/ you can find where branches are if your unsure of the suburbs let me know what area you'll be staying and I can tell you the closes to you.

If you'll be working you'll need a Tax File Number if you go to https://iar.ato.gov.au/iarweb/defaul...id=1&outcome=1 you can read a bit about it and also apply online for a number.

As for a bank account there are many banks around and most charge lots of fees... I have heard ANZ is one of the better ones, it has an account that cost $5 per month and that allows you unlimited transactions as long as you use only ANZ ATM's.. most banks charge you to use other banks ATM's and charge you again if you make more than 5 transactions a month.. they suck I know. You should be able to set up an account after you arrive at whichever local bank you choose just remember lots of ID.

Perth is a beautiful city, I was born there and have lived there most my life.

Good luck and all the best
Old Nov 9th 2005, 1:41 am
Just Joined

parsleysbum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by taj5
Australian don't have national Insurance numbers.. however there are several Medicare offices in Perth, Medicares website is http://www.Medicare.gov.au/ you can find where branches are if your unsure of the suburbs let me know what area you'll be staying and I can tell you the closes to you.

If you'll be working you'll need a Tax File Number if you go to https://iar.ato.gov.au/iarweb/defaul...id=1&outcome=1 you can read a bit about it and also apply online for a number.

As for a bank account there are many banks around and most charge lots of fees... I have heard ANZ is one of the better ones, it has an account that cost $5 per month and that allows you unlimited transactions as long as you use only ANZ ATM's.. most banks charge you to use other banks ATM's and charge you again if you make more than 5 transactions a month.. they suck I know. You should be able to set up an account after you arrive at whichever local bank you choose just remember lots of ID.

Perth is a beautiful city, I was born there and have lived there most my life.

Good luck and all the best

Many thanks guys