New Applicant - skilled independent

Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

shoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile New Applicant - skilled independent

Hi Everyone:
i have been looking into immigrating into Australia for ages and after 4 years of thinking about it i have decided to it and apply for my immigration visa. This seems like a great web page and i was hoping to gather some info from you guys.
I am a 30 year old engineer/scientist and I applying for a skilled independent visa for Australia (i dont have job offer) only for myself.
I went through the points system and i can get 120 ( if i place $100k in Australian bonds).
As my first step, Do you guys think i should get an agent or go through the visa process myself.
cheers
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Applicant - skilled independent

Originally Posted by shoman
Hi Everyone:
i have been looking into immigrating into Australia for ages and after 4 years of thinking about it i have decided to it and apply for my immigration visa. This seems like a great web page and i was hoping to gather some info from you guys.
I am a 30 year old engineer/scientist and I applying for a skilled independent visa for Australia (i dont have job offer) only for myself.
I went through the points system and i can get 120 ( if i place $100k in Australian bonds).
As my first step, Do you guys think i should get an agent or go through the visa process myself.
cheers
The most difficult bit can be the skills assessment unless you can get your qualification easily recognised in Oz (under the Washington Accord for IEAust).

That done it's relatively simple to fill in the forms if there are no complications and you're not an axe murderer with a life threatening disease.

The hardest part is checking, checking and then checking the form just for good measure. Oh yeah - and then the waiting.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:48 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

http://ptlabs.topcities.com/faq0.html?#basic004

Peter
Old Aug 24th 2005, 11:13 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

You should be fine doing it yourself as Marco said if you're free of criminal convictions (major ones), and medical issues (again major ones) , and you are positive about getting your skills recognised then you're in like flynn. Its not hard to do the visa process - no harder than an A'level at least ;-)
Old Aug 24th 2005, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

shoman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spalen
You should be fine doing it yourself as Marco said if you're free of criminal convictions (major ones), and medical issues (again major ones) , and you are positive about getting your skills recognised then you're in like flynn. Its not hard to do the visa process - no harder than an A'level at least ;-)
Thanks Guys,
well it sounds like i may be able to do it myself ( well i have given up now the axe and the rabies has cleared as well).
but if i was to use an agent can you guys recommend one? also how much do agents cost?
Old Aug 25th 2005, 7:16 am
Just Joined

flynnyman is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: New Applicant - skilled independent

Originally Posted by spalen
i think that was a sign
Old Aug 26th 2005, 12:42 am
Banned

esku has a spectacular aura aboutesku has a spectacular aura aboutesku has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Guys,
well it sounds like i may be able to do it myself ( well i have given up now the axe and the rabies has cleared as well).
but if i was to use an agent can you guys recommend one? also how much do agents cost?
Shoman, this sounds familiar.
I procrastinated for a few years after coming back from living in Oz for a couple of years, so much so that the work experience I had doesn't count towards points any longer :-(
Any how I started the application in anger in April 2004 on my own, but due to the amount of work required to get my experience recognised by the ACS and lack of motivation I had given up by October, it wasn't until I realised that being 33 and the pass mark being 120, that it was now or never so in April 2005 I engaged an agent. I have found that my motivation level has been maintained by a combination of shelling out lots of money and having someone to email constantly with questions. You still have to do most of it yourself, but that contact certainly helps.
Basically if you know you've got the motivation to do this on your own, go for it, otherwise if you're like me get an agent in to help.

Hope this helps and isn't just noise.

Steve.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 1:02 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guys,
You pay for what you get - but i think an average would be approx £1500-£2500 which would include the visa application (DIMIA) fees and your skills assesment fees.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 1:59 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flynnyman
i think that was a sign
haha - don't take it as an indication or guarantee of future success, I accept no liability implied or otherwise for results of your visa application!.

(Good luck though !! haah)