NEW TO ALL THIS

Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:10 am
JLB
Just Joined

JLB is on a distinguished road
Question NEW TO ALL THIS

Hi

Me and my family are just starting to think about starting a new life abroad, its something my husband has wanted to do for a few years but I've only just started to thing seriously about it.

I want to get a few opinions really, firstly are we best to go through an agent to do all the paperwork or are we best to do it ourselves and secondly the main aim of the move is to get a better life for us and our two young children, so is it really a better life and if so in what way.

Thanks
Old Apr 29th 2008, 10:58 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NEW TO ALL THIS

Hi Welcome to BE!

There are a few threads already going which gives you the reasons as to why people do or don't use agents. Might be worth doing a search on the topic.
Main reason people use an agent is they don't have time to research, complicated family issues, health, reassurance etc etc etc.
If you have a straight forward application & meet the points test then its probably ok to do it yourself.
There are loads of people on here with tonnes of information & most questions can be answered. So if you do decide to go it alone dont be afraid to ask anything, we've all been there although I didn't find this site till i'd completed my application
Our reason for going to Oz is also for a better life for the kids so hopefully thats what we'll get.

Goodluck with whatever you decide to do
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

ianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the rough

Hello,
I can't give you much info on the application thing since we're not that far yet. But I have seen this question popping up several times and the message always seemed to be that going through an agent is costly, but can save some hassle especially if you don't think your application will be straightforward.

About your children, here's a link to a thread someone sent me when I asked the same question: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364535
Hope it works, never inserted a link before. Similar threads are coming up a lot and the consensus always seems to be that yes, it is a great place to bring up your kids. Which is the main reason for us (me...) to go.

Good luck with it all, I have found this forum really really helpful so far. It's also worth trying out the search option for some quick answers. Mel
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

mancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JLB
Hi

Me and my family are just starting to think about starting a new life abroad, its something my husband has wanted to do for a few years but I've only just started to think seriously about it.

I want to get a few opinions really, firstly are we best to go through an agent to do all the paperwork or are we best to do it ourselves and secondly the main aim of the move is to get a better life for us and our two young children, so is it really a better life and if so in what way.

Thanks
Hi, and welcome to BE!

The question of "should we use an agent" is one that is frequently asked. We used one purely for our own peace of mind that everything would be done correctly etc; however there are loads of people that have gone it alone.
There's lots of people on here that are really in 'the know' about immigration and that would offer advice.
I suppose it depends on your situation....would your application be straightforward etc.
There's also an issue of cost too, as it's not cheap to use an agent.

With regards to having a better life, well that's not something I can comment on yet as we don't go until August, but we're doing it for the same reasons as you....for our children.

Good luck with your journey
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLB
Hi

Me and my family are just starting to think about starting a new life abroad, its something my husband has wanted to do for a few years but I've only just started to thing seriously about it.

Thanks
As far as Australia is concerned you first need to make sure that you actually qualify for a visa.
Check out www.immi.gov.au first to see if you are eligible to move here - assuming you decide on Aus rather than NZ or Canada
Old Apr 29th 2008, 3:13 pm
JLB
Just Joined

I've noticed that you have taken me off another thread due to duplication but I believe I had a reply through the other thread that I would like to reply to so how do I get the details back please.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 5:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLB
I've noticed that you have taken me off another thread due to duplication but I believe I had a reply through the other thread that I would like to reply to so how do I get the details back please.
They are merged with this thread
Old Apr 29th 2008, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really nice

Welcome to BE guys.

There are several different reasons why people want to be in Oz but mine is for the outdoor life i.e. fresh air, sunshine and more sporting actvities that it will give my 4 kids. Here they are stuck in on the WII/PS2/XBox360 or laptop whatever and it isn't good for them. They should be outside having fun.

It is personal preference.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Kind regards Lou xx
Old Apr 30th 2008, 8:55 am
JLB
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ianandmel
Hello,
I can't give you much info on the application thing since we're not that far yet. But I have seen this question popping up several times and the message always seemed to be that going through an agent is costly, but can save some hassle especially if you don't think your application will be straightforward.

About your children, here's a link to a thread someone sent me when I asked the same question: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364535
Hope it works, never inserted a link before. Similar threads are coming up a lot and the consensus always seems to be that yes, it is a great place to bring up your kids. Which is the main reason for us (me...) to go.

Good luck with it all, I have found this forum really really helpful so far. It's also worth trying out the search option for some quick answers. Mel
Hi Mel

Thanks for the link it helped alot, most confirmed just what we are hoping for.

Thanks