Wikiposts

New To All This

Old Apr 18th 2004, 11:52 am
Just Joined

mazzab2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New To All This

Hello there. Myself and hubby and 3 young kids are just beginning our journey in applying for a permanant visa to live and work in Australia. Just doing a bit of research..... When I have filled in these free appraisal forms, we have been told we do not meet the points criteria. My husband is a joiner/builder. I have qualifications but have been a full time mum for quite a few years. Does anyone know what our chances of being accepted are?
If we are accepted, I think we will be looking to move to Melbourne.. What are the best areas for schools etc?
Does anyone know what the work situation is like for joiners?
The insect stories have scared me half to death.. Are they really that bad?????????
By the way, I know I'll probably sound really thick but what are drop bears???
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Maria
Old Apr 18th 2004, 7:03 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: New To All This

Originally posted by mazzab2004
Hello there. Myself and hubby and 3 young kids are just beginning our journey in applying for a permanant visa to live and work in Australia. Just doing a bit of research..... When I have filled in these free appraisal forms, we have been told we do not meet the points criteria. My husband is a joiner/builder. I have qualifications but have been a full time mum for quite a few years. Does anyone know what our chances of being accepted are?
If we are accepted, I think we will be looking to move to Melbourne.. What are the best areas for schools etc?
The insect stories have scared me half to death.. Are they really that bad?????????
Maria

Well firstly, welcome to the site

If you dont think you meet the points it could well be in your interest to get in touch with an agent, there are some excellent ones that post on this forum & if you do a search for 'agents' you'll come up with a lot of threads discussing more.

I've never had a real issue with the insects over there, I was bitten by a spider, but it was so small it felt more like a wasp sting and after the itching went down there was nothing to show for it. You will see insects, spiders and snakes, but they wont be crawling all over your house like a lot of people seem to imagine!
Old Apr 18th 2004, 8:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, welcome to the site! The insects aren't toooo bad, you sort-of get used to them, and if you have fly-screens that keeps out the worst of them.

As for drop bears, they are a bit more of a problem.......they are creatures that look like bears, and live in trees (bit like koalas) and they like to drop from the trees onto the heads of people walking past...........can cause the odd broken neck or concussion, nothing to worry about. They do have razor sharp claws and teeth too........so if walking in the woods you are advised to wear a pretty hard hat........
Old Apr 18th 2004, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

pukka pom will become famous soon enoughpukka pom will become famous soon enough

Maria
Hi Maria and welcome!!! Drop bears - this is the first I've heard of these little tykes, so thats a new one on me. I have been asking about spiders too, but it seems they don't pose too much of a problem, you just have to be "aware" from what my friend says who lives in Brizzie.

There a couple of good agents who answer questions on this forum, but can I recommend George Lombard at www.austimmigration.com.au, we have found him excellent and he charges very reasonable rates (gave lots of free advice first). My other half is a Carpenter/Joiner and there seems to be plenty of work all over Oz.

S
Old Apr 18th 2004, 10:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you're interested in living in Victoria, you may want to check the Victoria skilled migration website:
http://www.migration.vic.gov.au

If you have a job on their shortage list, they may be happy to sponsor you.

Jeremy
Old Apr 19th 2004, 12:40 am
Midge04

Hi We too are new to all this, we have 4 children and are in the
process of applying to emigrate, my husband is a suspended ceiling
fixer in the building trade, and we also had trouble getting his job
description, i found it detailed under a diffrent name in the end, but
it covers a wide range of other jobs too. It is very scary and a bit
daunting wndering if you are doing the right thing. We too will be
going to Melbourne as we have family sponsor out there. Still filling
in forms though.

Speak soon

Jane

Old Apr 19th 2004, 1:01 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Puka Pom
Drop bears - this is the first I've heard of these little tykes, so thats a new one on me.
Some info for you......
"The Drop Bear, Aprilinis firstus is not really a bear, but a close relative of the Koala, Phascolarctos cinereus. They are not a real danger to human beings, as they are neither poisonous nor are they venomous, but they can deliver a hefty whack to the head. The creatures are quite dopey, are not very graceful, and very cowardly, as any sudden, loud noise will make them lose their grip on a branch and they plummet to the ground. They are heavily furred, and quite well cushioned by fat, so the fall isn’t injurious to them. It’s just any unfortunate person or animal underneath the drop bear can be seriously concussed by several kilograms of free-falling marsupial.

Even though there are no recorded Drop Bear deaths, prevention is better than cure, and you really don’t need a headache when you’re trying to enjoy a bush walk; it is best to avoid aquamarine-flowering gums and to wear a stout hat when strolling through a Drop Bear infestation."
Old Apr 19th 2004, 1:34 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by Pollyana
Some info for you......
"The Drop Bear, Aprilinis firstus is not really a bear, but a close relative of the Koala, Phascolarctos cinereus. They are not a real danger to human beings, as they are neither poisonous nor are they venomous, but they can deliver a hefty whack to the head. The creatures are quite dopey, are not very graceful, and very cowardly, as any sudden, loud noise will make them lose their grip on a branch and they plummet to the ground. They are heavily furred, and quite well cushioned by fat, so the fall isn’t injurious to them. It’s just any unfortunate person or animal underneath the drop bear can be seriously concussed by several kilograms of free-falling marsupial.

Even though there are no recorded Drop Bear deaths, prevention is better than cure, and you really don’t need a headache when you’re trying to enjoy a bush walk; it is best to avoid aquamarine-flowering gums and to wear a stout hat when strolling through a Drop Bear infestation."
pmsl!!
Old Apr 19th 2004, 11:51 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Midge04
Hi We too are new to all this, we have 4 children and are in the
process of applying to emigrate, my husband is a suspended ceiling
fixer in the building trade, and we also had trouble getting his job
description, i found it detailed under a diffrent name in the end, but
it covers a wide range of other jobs too. It is very scary and a bit
daunting wndering if you are doing the right thing. We too will be
going to Melbourne as we have family sponsor out there. Still filling
in forms though.

Speak soon

Jane
Hi everyone and thanks loads for all the info.... We have contacted an agency called ASA group. Someone recommended them so I'll see how we get on with them but will also contact this george lombard.
As for the drop bears eek!
I'm feeling extremely scared about all of this but we have always talked about it and it's a matter of 'it's now or never'.
We have become so disheartened with this country but I know I will miss it..I think leaving family will be the hardest thing. If we get accepted that is. My husband says he won't miss anything and can't wait to go. He's a self employed joiner/builder at the moment and think he would like to be again once we've got our bearings.
Anyway...great to meet you all and hope we can stay in touch through out this.
If anyone has any more info on Melbourne, that'd be great.
Cheers
Maria
Old Apr 19th 2004, 9:20 pm
A Mate

Drop Bears are a 'joke'. There is no such animal. It's an old, old 'put on'
used to frighten newcomers etc!! Bit tired really!! (and quite juvenile in
this forum !)

Re spiders etc. They exist, but cause very few problems. The plain old
neighbour's pet dog is much more dangerous. And I've never worried about
them either!

"mazzab2004" <member23568@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Midge04
    > > Hi We too are new to all
    > this, we have 4 children and are in the
    > > process of applying to
    > emigrate, my husband is a suspended ceiling
    > > fixer in the building
    > trade, and we also had trouble getting his job
    > > description, i found it
    > detailed under a diffrent name in the end, but
    > > it covers a wide range
    > of other jobs too. It is very scary and a bit
    > > daunting wndering if
    > you are doing the right thing. We too will be
    > > going to Melbourne as
    > we have family sponsor out there. Still filling
    > > in forms though.
    > >
    > >
    > Speak soon
    > >
    > > Jane
    > Hi everyone and thanks loads for all the
    > info.... We have contacted an agency called ASA group. Someone
    > recommended them so I'll see how we get on with them but will also
    > contact this george lombard.
    > As for the drop bears eek!
    > I'm feeling
    > extremely scared about all of this but we have always talked about it
    > and it's a matter of 'it's now or never'.
    > We have become so disheartened
    > with this country but I know I will miss it..I think leaving family will
    > be the hardest thing. If we get accepted that is. My husband says he
    > won't miss anything and can't wait to go. He's a self employed
    > joiner/builder at the moment and think he would like to be again once
    > we've got our bearings.
    > Anyway...great to meet you all and hope we can
    > stay in touch through out this.
    > If anyone has any more info on
    > Melbourne, that'd be great.
    > Cheers
    > Maria
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 20th 2004, 12:45 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by A Mate
Drop Bears are a 'joke'. There is no such animal. It's an old, old 'put on'
used to frighten newcomers etc!! Bit tired really!! (and quite juvenile in
this forum !)

Re spiders etc. They exist, but cause very few problems. The plain old
neighbour's pet dog is much more dangerous. And I've never worried about
them either!

http://britishexpats.com[/url][/q1]
Old Apr 20th 2004, 1:20 am
Home and Happy

and quite juvenile in this forum !)
Well, pardon me for trying to raise a smile.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Hans de Visser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana
"The Drop Bear, Aprilinis firstus...
LOL
Funny how a couple of 'inis-es' and 'us-es' can make anything sound scientific