Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

New 175 visa - Can I start applying before my skills assessment comes back?

Wikiposts

New 175 visa - Can I start applying before my skills assessment comes back?

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

springonion will become famous soon enoughspringonion will become famous soon enough
Default New 175 visa - Can I start applying before my skills assessment comes back?

Hi to everyone here. This is a great forum and I've been looking through it for a few weeks now.

I'm just starting out on the road of applying for my 175 visa with the aim of heading out to Perth with the family.

I'm a computer contractor in the UK and have worked freelance for the past 15 years. I've sent my details off to the ACS to be assessed and that can take up to 12 weeks before they come back. Hopefully it'll be positive.

In the meantime though I want to prepare as much as I can for the actual visa application. I'm doing it myself and not through an agent but I'm not sure if thats a good option really.

So while I'm waiting for my ACS assessment to come back, can I send off my application for the 175 online and when I receive the ACS response, send that through?

I thought it would be easy to understand the process but its looking quite involved.

I'm also wondering whether to take the english language test just to get the extra points. Any thoughts on that?

thanks again and a big thumbs up to this forum.

Nick
Old Sep 4th 2007, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

biggles7374 is a jewel in the roughbiggles7374 is a jewel in the roughbiggles7374 is a jewel in the roughbiggles7374 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New 175 visa - Can I start applying before my skills assessment comes back?

Hi Spring-onion

I don't think you can apply before you get your positve skills assessment because this is one of the key criteria to assess initial validity and therefore must accompany your application.

Go for it yourself, as long as you do plenty of research you will be fine. I did it myself and apart from the Skills Assessment everything else is quite logical and straightforward.

Plus there is this forum should you get stuck...I found it invaluable getting insight into the experience of others and the advice from the few agents knocking about that will give titbits of freebee advice. Also you will save a few quid doing it this way (up to £2K)

Andy

Last edited by biggles7374; Sep 4th 2007 at 12:30 am.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

springonion will become famous soon enoughspringonion will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New 175 visa - Can I start applying before my skills assessment comes back?

Originally Posted by biggles7374
Hi Spring-onion

I don't think you can apply before you get your positve skills assessment because this is one of the key criteria to assess initial validity and therefore must accompany your application.

Go for it yourself, as long as you do plenty of research you will be fine. I did it myself and apart from the Skills Assessment everything else is quite logical and straightforward.

Plus there is this forum should you get stuck...I found it invaluable getting insight into the experience of others and the advice from the few agents knocking about that will give titbits of freebee advice. Also you will save a few quid doing it this way (up to £2K)

Andy
Hi Andy,

Thanks for that - I'll wait on then. I'll probabley start filling out the fields on a paper based one so when the ACS thumbs up comes through (fingers crossed) then I have all the information ready to type in online.

cheers

Nick
Old Sep 4th 2007, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

biggles7374 is a jewel in the roughbiggles7374 is a jewel in the roughbiggles7374 is a jewel in the roughbiggles7374 is a jewel in the rough

See you have the hang of this already!!!!

Start researching required work references also as they have to be in a prescribed format and get these requested from previous employers cause these can take some time to come back

Also any education certificates, birth certificates - dig these out in good time so that any missing ones can be replaced in good time.

I cannot emphasise the importance of good preparation as it is this that will make you application go as smoothly as possible.

regards

Andy
Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:28 am
Bring it On

Funkey Monkey has much to be proud ofFunkey Monkey has much to be proud ofFunkey Monkey has much to be proud ofFunkey Monkey has much to be proud ofFunkey Monkey has much to be proud ofFunkey Monkey has much to be proud ofFunkey Monkey has much to be proud ofFunkey Monkey has much to be proud ofFunkey Monkey has much to be proud ofFunkey Monkey has much to be proud ofFunkey Monkey has much to be proud of

We didn't use an agent either and found it all okay, if a bit time consuming. Just plough through it all and remember to keep your sanity!!!

Good luck
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by springonion
Hi to everyone here. This is a great forum and I've been looking through it for a few weeks now.

I'm just starting out on the road of applying for my 175 visa with the aim of heading out to Perth with the family.

I'm a computer contractor in the UK and have worked freelance for the past 15 years. I've sent my details off to the ACS to be assessed and that can take up to 12 weeks before they come back. Hopefully it'll be positive.

In the meantime though I want to prepare as much as I can for the actual visa application. I'm doing it myself and not through an agent but I'm not sure if thats a good option really.

So while I'm waiting for my ACS assessment to come back, can I send off my application for the 175 online and when I receive the ACS response, send that through?

I thought it would be easy to understand the process but its looking quite involved.

I'm also wondering whether to take the english language test just to get the extra points. Any thoughts on that?

thanks again and a big thumbs up to this forum.

Nick
You cannot submit your visa application for the 175 without first gaining your skills assessment result.

You could get all the paperwork together and scanned in etc though. That will save you time when you do get your ACS result.

Trish
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

cheers to everyone for their help on this. I'll definately get everything ready to go once I get my ACS result back and then I can hit the send button for the visa application
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by springonion
cheers to everyone for their help on this. I'll definately get everything ready to go once I get my ACS result back and then I can hit the send button for the visa application
Good luck with everything.

Trish