Wikiposts

Need some advice!!

Old Feb 24th 2016, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Mhredshaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need some advice!!

Hi the wife and I long for a life in Australia with our two young children.
I am currently at university and have 3yrs left until I complete the degree.

My question is whether or not I will need a years work experience after gaining the degree or can I apply straight away for a permanent visa?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks Matt and Hay x
Old Feb 24th 2016, 8:40 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some advice!!

Originally Posted by Mhredshaw

My question is whether or not I will need a years work experience after gaining the degree or can I apply straight away for a permanent visa?

Welcome to BE.

A lot will depend on what type of job you are looking for, what degree you are taking.
Read the Wiki links at the top of this page to get some idea of what lies ahead.

Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) - British Expats
Old Feb 24th 2016, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Ok, thanks for such a quick reply!! I will have a look now.
The degree is Finance and Accounting, the job would be for a general accountant or similar.

Thanks Matt
Old Feb 24th 2016, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

It is far too early to plan. Things change far to regularly. At the moment, accountants don't require any post qualifacation experience. However, it is an occupation flagged for removal from the SOL list in July. But, by three years time it could be back on again.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Accounting is one of those rare cases where experience is not required and where a degree might be sufficient for migration. In most cases a degree would not suffice by itself.

However as VS says, it is also an occupation flagged for removal from the lists due to the huge oversupply of accountants. I would also be concerned about your job prospects as a new accountancy arrival (an unqualified one) with no work experience. Best just see how things go over the next three years.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Feb 24th 2016 at 2:28 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Also why do you "long for a life in Australia"?
Old Feb 25th 2016, 4:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Good question! It ain't that different from the UK........
Old Feb 25th 2016, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by verystormy
Same reason you desire to back in the UK one would assume?
This is a forum for people who wish to emigrate to Australia right, so the the statement of a desire to move there, shouldn't really come as much of a shock!

Im sorry it didn't work out for yourself but for me I have no doubts that I can make it work.

Old Feb 25th 2016, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Good question! It ain't that different from the UK........
But it is different......?
Old Feb 26th 2016, 12:15 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

But it is different......?
Depends on your vision of Australia at present. .....

The reason some of us are a bit cynical is because we get a fair few new posters who have never visited the country, and base their impressions on Neighbours or Wanted Down Under - they think it'll be a relaxed lifestyle, better work life balance, pleasant weather that means they can virtually live outside - one of the most common things is assuming their children will turn into outdoorsy types who never sit in front of a screen again (OK I exaggerate but you get my drift?!)
Truth is working hours are often longer, commutes often the same or longer, instead of grey cloudy days you can end up with scorching heat that means your kids spend longer indoors here than back home - Brisbane is currently in the mddile of a 2 weeks stretch of over 30 degrees wioth high humidity, walking to the bus stop requires a change of clothes

We also see comments like 'less crime, no drugs amongst teenagers, less violence', and even 'more sensible politicians' - a quick trawl of the news sites puts that lot to bed.

It does have differences, but also a lot of similarities. Hence the question, as if we know what you're looking for we stand a better chance of telling you if you are likely to find it here
Old Feb 26th 2016, 1:50 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

This is a forum for people who wish to emigrate to Australia right, so the the statement of a desire to move there, shouldn't really come as much of a shock!

Im sorry it didn't work out for yourself but for me I have no doubts that I can make it work.

Actually a forum for BEs wanting to move (about 30% of posters) and those already moved and with valid experience (that remaining 70%) that I recommend not to be rude to if you want FREE and helpful advice.

Then again, I'm not Brit, I only have 20yrs of 0z experience so I'll just leave you to it.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that VS is returning to the UK for practical reasons and because it suits him and his wife best at the moment. He is definitely not "longing" to move to a place he has never lived in before.

You are right though, there is certainly no shock when somebody posts in the immigration expressing a wish to move, we all did that at one time. But it is worthwhile taking notice of other people's stories, experience and knowledge of Australia.

I am not suggesting that this is you, you may have carried out some in depth research for all I know, but the ones that talk of longing to move to Australia often do have some unrealistic expectations, of the permanent sunshine, no rain, shorter working hours and barbies on the beach every evening etc.

Your last comment is rather patronising. And I am afraid you cannot possibly know what the future brings, any more than any of the rest of us can. So you cannot possibly know whether or not it will work out for you and indeed wouldn't life be boring if we did know what lies ahead.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 3:22 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I believe that VS is returning to the UK for practical reasons and because it suits him and his wife best at the moment. He is definitely not "longing" to move to a place he has never lived in before.

You are right though, there is certainly no shock when somebody posts in the immigration expressing a wish to move, we all did that at one time. But it is worthwhile taking notice of other people's stories, experience and knowledge of Australia.

I am not suggesting that this is you, you may have carried out some in depth research for all I know, but the ones that talk of longing to move to Australia often do have some unrealistic expectations, of the permanent sunshine, no rain, shorter working hours and barbies on the beach every evening etc.

Your last comment is rather patronising. And I am afraid you cannot possibly know what the future brings, any more than any of the rest of us can. So you cannot possibly know whether or not it will work out for you and indeed wouldn't life be boring if we did know what lies ahead.
I seem to remember saying 'I can make it work.......and I believed it, for at least the first 3 months I was here.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I seem to remember saying 'I can make it work.......and I believed it, for at least the first 3 months I was here.
The OP should, have course, have said WE can make it work, otherwise I do feel sad for the family.

It really is just another first world country, not Oz, land of dreams, land of milk and honey, paradise on a stick etc and anyone who thinks otherwise is really playing Pollyanna unfortunately (and, I don't mean you, Polly!!!) I, too, am somewhat bemused that someone could "long for a life" in a place they have never been, or been only on holiday. But, then, I do speak to the occasional person here who thinks that Australia IS H&A, WDU or Neighbours and they are gobsmacked when you point out that they are all fiction and it is like saying UK is Corrie, Emmerdale or East Enders!
Old Feb 26th 2016, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Wow, I didn't think such an innocent question would provoke such comments. Maybe my replies didn't aid the situation and for that I apologise.
However I simply came on asking about a visa application and not to be critically analysed, about my choice of words. I really don't know what to make of some of the judgemental comments I've received, in relation to expressing a desire to move to Australia.
Thank you to those who answered my question, you've been a great help. I will see where WE are in 3yrs time. And take it from there.
Matt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.