Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Need help getting my pregnant girlfriend to aus

Need help getting my pregnant girlfriend to aus

Old Nov 15th 2010, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

tomwallace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need help getting my pregnant girlfriend to aus

Hi my name is tom and i am an australian citizin who has a pregnant girlfriend from the uk. We are both very much in love and want the child but just unsure where the best and easiest place to do it will be. My family on both sides are scottish so i can get a working visa in england and she gets free medical and family support but we want to bring our child into the world in my bright beach town of byron bay on the east coast of australia.

She has already finished on her two year working visa and now is living in borneo where i just returned from last week where we have been living for the last 3 months. she returns next month on a 3 month tourist visa but we have not been in a defacto relationship for a total of 12 months by then and are worried that if we dont get approved for her to stay it will be quite late in her pregnancy to fly all the way back to england.

She is a higher education teacher but we are unsure if she can get a skilled visa untill she has the baby.

Its all very confusing for me and i just need some straight forward anwers on the best things to do im very new to this haha
Old Nov 16th 2010, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need help getting my pregnant girlfriend to aus

I think you might need to be clearer about your situation, I couldn't really follow your story.

First of all, regarding you, how does having Scottish family on both sides mean you can get a "working visa" (to UK?) and what is a working visa anyway? Are they Scottish parents or more distant family?

How many weeks / months pregnant is your girlfriend and for how long have you been in a defacto relationship?

Has she already got her three month tourist visa organised?
Old Nov 16th 2010, 12:51 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomwallace
Hi my name is tom and i am an australian citizin who has a pregnant girlfriend from the uk. We are both very much in love and want the child but just unsure where the best and easiest place to do it will be. My family on both sides are scottish so i can get a working visa in england and she gets free medical and family support but we want to bring our child into the world in my bright beach town of byron bay on the east coast of australia.

She has already finished on her two year working visa and now is living in borneo where i just returned from last week where we have been living for the last 3 months. she returns next month on a 3 month tourist visa but we have not been in a defacto relationship for a total of 12 months by then and are worried that if we dont get approved for her to stay it will be quite late in her pregnancy to fly all the way back to england.

She is a higher education teacher but we are unsure if she can get a skilled visa untill she has the baby.

Its all very confusing for me and i just need some straight forward anwers on the best things to do im very new to this haha
If you are planning to get married you would apply for a prospective marriage visa. She comes here to Australia, you get married within the required timeframe and Bob's your uncle!

Like you said, you could go to Scotland where her family are and she could have the baby there. By that time you would have racked up enough time for the defacto visa and you could all come to Australia together. If you are an Australian citizen from birth you would pass on citizenship to the baby, same as she would pass on UK citizenship if it were born here.

It's too bad she already used her WHV or she could have come on that. If she's not too far along in her pregnancy she could possibly look to find a sponsor for a 457 to get enough months in for a defacto visa, but that's a bit of a longshot.

Take a read of www.immi.gov.au for more visa options or better yet, speak to a MARA registered agent for some ideas. Lots will give a free or low cost initial consultation.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Think by 'working visa' the OP means he can get a 5-year ancestry visa for the UK.

Having had babies in both UK and Oz I can say that it really depends on the hospital as to how much fun the birth will be - that plays a much bigger role than Medicare vs NHS. As a general rule there is more community support for newborns & mums in the UK than Oz, but they boot you out of hospital quicker - 1-2 days instead of 4-5.

Byron is full of hippies, don't have the kid there

Frankly if your partner's family are in Scotland I'd suggest having the kid there - she will appreciate the family support for the first few months more than she realises at this stage.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Marry her and apply for a spouse visa - easy.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

tomwallace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unsure about where we stand. Help?

Hi my name is Tom and i am an australian citizen who has a pregnant girlfriend from the uk. She has already finished on her two year working visa which is the maximum for a working holiday and now is living in borneo where i just returned from last week. She returns to australia next month on a 3 month tourist visa but we have not been in a defacto relationship for a total of 12 months by then and are worried that if we dont get approved for her to get a Defacto Visa for Australia it will be quite late in her pregnancy to fly all the way back to England.

Also if we do have the child in the uk will the child get automatic residency back here in australia?

She is a higher education teacher but we are unsure if she can get a skilled visa until she has the baby.

Its all very confusing for me and i just need some straight forward answers on the best things to do im very new to this haha
Old Nov 18th 2010, 10:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unsure about where we stand. Help?

Originally Posted by tomwallace
Hi my name is Tom and i am an australian citizen who has a pregnant girlfriend from the uk. She has already finished on her two year working visa which is the maximum for a working holiday and now is living in borneo where i just returned from last week. She returns to australia next month on a 3 month tourist visa but we have not been in a defacto relationship for a total of 12 months by then and are worried that if we dont get approved for her to get a Defacto Visa for Australia it will be quite late in her pregnancy to fly all the way back to England.

Also if we do have the child in the uk will the child get automatic residency back here in australia?

She is a higher education teacher but we are unsure if she can get a skilled visa until she has the baby.

Its all very confusing for me and i just need some straight forward answers on the best things to do im very new to this haha
Threads merged - more helpful to everyone trying to answer you if it all stays together