British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Need advice recent work experience (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/need-advice-recent-work-experience-357174/)

Brisben Feb 24th 2006 7:44 pm

Re: Need advice recent work experience

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Its very difficult when you work for a large company with a huge HR department.

We typed up the statement (or I did) and got hubbys employers to check/change anything they were not happy with. Luckily we had followed his job description and his company were more than happy with it.

He has also told his HR, his Manager and secretary that DIMA may well contact them.

By keeping them fully informed from the beginning, they appear to be accommodating.

It is still nerve racking that DIMA might call and might get someone who isnt forthcoming on the phone, but we have done our best.

I hope you get it sorted Ben, its bloody harsh when an employer has that kind of hold over you.

Good luck.

This is true the organisation I work for has 3,500 employees so it was in my best interest to go to the Director of HRM. However this in itself has made them reluctant to help me as it has implications (Long -Term) for them as well. Still at least I know where I stand now and can persue things with a little more clarity, albeit with a few more hurdles to jump...Feeling better although I still have my work cut out to achieve what I need to.

billy0911 Feb 24th 2006 9:30 pm

Hi
well we have the same problem DIMIA contacted my wife's employers (over130,000 employees) H.R. dept they only gave a basic outdated reference they did not contact her manager who wrote the reference
anyway DIMIA sent us a letter telling us they thought our application was fraudulent we have sent a covering letter from agent and another letter from her boss asking DIMIA to contact her (the boss) for a up to date reference so at the moment our application is doing the internal checks
Her H.R. dept says that there company policy is only to give basic references
so now we have to just sit and wait it is very frustrating when all we want is DIMIA to contact the correct people

Billy & Vicki

Cheetah7 Feb 24th 2006 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by billy0911
Hi
well we have the same problem DIMIA contacted my wife's employers (over130,000 employees) H.R. dept they only gave a basic outdated reference they did not contact her manager who wrote the reference
anyway DIMIA sent us a letter telling us they thought our application was fraudulent we have sent a covering letter from agent and another letter from her boss asking DIMIA to contact her (the boss) for a up to date reference so at the moment our application is doing the internal checks
Her H.R. dept says that there company policy is only to give basic references
so now we have to just sit and wait it is very frustrating when all we want is DIMIA to contact the correct people

Billy & Vicki

We provided a detailed employer statement in the form of a stat dec that we sent to the TRA.

The contact number on the headed paper is the head office and the named person is my husbands area manager.

If they call the head office number, they wont get him but on the other hand, he has been told they will call.

I dont quite know what DIMA expect a busy major employer with thousands of employees, to say over the phone and how detailed they expect them to be, when in fact, DIMA could be anyone calling. And after all, confidentiality applies to employess.

Whether or not they expect someone to sit on the phone for half an hour outlining duties, I am not sure. Anyone could phone up and pretend, so that in my opinion, is not a secure way of checking.

Saying that, after what you have just said has concerned me that through a basic lack of communication on the reference front, you have been accused of fraud in your statement.

DIMA must know the situation with busy companies and large HR departments, they must know.

If not, that is a worry.

billy0911 Feb 24th 2006 9:55 pm

Hi P.P.
We also put in a detailed statement with our application however When DIMIA contacted Vicki's works they got a basic reference from when she started there and her job title when she started there that was almost 8 years ago and it has change so much since then so what's on our application is different from what they were told so i can understand them
but our C.O. is from region 4 i don't know if this has anything to do with it but we believe it has been passed to a manager who we hope is more failure with very large banks in the u.k. and how they work we are not worried if they contact the right people but our worry is what if they go back to H.R. then our application will be refused
our agents did know about this issue as we got a reference when we started and our agent said that it was no good and to get her manager to write one
so we just have to wait and it is doing our heads in

Billy & Vicki

Cheetah7 Feb 24th 2006 10:02 pm

Hi P.P.
We also put in a detailed statement with our application however When DIMIA contacted Vicki's works they got a basic reference from when she started there and her job title when she started there that was almost 8 years ago and it has change so much since then so what's on our application is different from what they were told so i can understand them
but our C.O. is from region 4 i don't know if this has anything to do with it but we believe it has been passed to a manager who we hope is more failure with very large banks in the u.k. and how they work we are not worried if they contact the right people but our worry is what if they go back to H.R. then our application will be refused
our agents did know about this issue as we got a reference when we started and our agent said that it was no good and to get her manager to write one
so we just have to wait and it is doing our heads in

Billy & Vicki

Well I have just spoken to my husband and asked him where the call from DIMA will go through to (dept) and he said the main HR.

He is going to contact them again next week to make sure they are aware of this and that a basic statement is not what they are looking for.

Busy people such as DIMA added to the equation of busy people in HR working for a large company, should consider what they are asking of the other and vice versa.

Do they contact every employer, the most recent employer or is it just a random check that can be carried out?

billy0911 Feb 24th 2006 10:10 pm

Hi
Well according to our agent they are doing more and more checks but i think it is still a bit random we were allocated a C.O. in region 4 and that region has a high fraudulent applications so i dont know if that played a part in our problem or not
however our agent told us that DIMIA normally contact the person who writes the reference but as you know they can contact anybody and i know what you are saying about privacy laws in this country surely if any H.R. dept give out details about you would be breaking dpa laws ???
what do you think

Billy & Vicki

Cheetah7 Feb 24th 2006 10:16 pm

Hi
Well according to our agent they are doing more and more checks but i think it is still a bit random we were allocated a C.O. in region 4 and that region has a high fraudulent applications so i dont know if that played a part in our problem or not
however our agent told us that DIMIA normally contact the person who writes the reference but as you know they can contact anybody and i know what you are saying about privacy laws in this country surely if any H.R. dept give out details about you would be breaking dpa laws ???
what do you think

Billy & Vicki

Well lets face it, Ive been a victim of identity fraud twice and you can get a surprising amount of information about a person if you ask the right questions.

How do you know which region you will be, does it depend where in the UK you live?

They wont get hold of hubbys manager by calling HR. His HR is up North somewhere and he works down South.

billy0911 Feb 24th 2006 10:34 pm

Hi
for the region there is loads and loads of u.k. applications the uk.is in region 3 so to ease the burden on region 3 they spread it over all the regions and our case officer works for region 4
so our case officer is used to dealing with south african, and jakarta companies
but its really quite simple for dimia just contact the correct person

Billy & Vicki