Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

Old Sep 9th 2007, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

indalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really nice
Default Re: native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

Originally Posted by Fugazi1000
I am getting quite stressed about this!

I am in the process of completing the new 175 online application and unless you can say yes to the IELTS test in the last two years then absolutely no points are credited. I.e. I need 15 points but get 0. The only way I have found to get these points up is to put ficticious information on the form.

Now, as everybody else is finding, the tests are booked up way ahead. I've been patiently waiting for the 1st Sept to ease the workload of copying/certifying/sending countless forms, but SHOULD have been organising the poxy IELTS exam. :curse:

So - can anybody let me know a way to get the basic 15 points enabled on the form?
Hi , same problem, is this still just teething problems with the online points calculator, or do i really need to sit this test to get just 15 points ( which is all i want - don't need the 25) for being a native english speaking, uk born and bred nurse???!!!! :curse::curse:
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:14 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by indalo
Hi , same problem, is this still just teething problems with the online points calculator, or do i really need to sit this test to get just 15 points ( which is all i want - don't need the 25) for being a native english speaking, uk born and bred nurse???!!!! :curse::curse:
No - if you have a UK passport you will be awarded 15 points automatically.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

indalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really niceindalo is just really nice

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
No - if you have a UK passport you will be awarded 15 points automatically.
I've filled in the online 176 application and the points calculator at the end of the form gives me ZERO for english lang even though I have stated that I am the holder of a UK passport and was born in the UK and i am a british citizen!

I too presumed the 15 points would just be automatically awarded, but they're nowhere to be seen!
Old Sep 9th 2007, 10:18 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by indalo
I've filled in the online 176 application and the points calculator at the end of the form gives me ZERO for english lang even though I have stated that I am the holder of a UK passport and was born in the UK and i am a british citizen!

I too presumed the 15 points would just be automatically awarded, but they're nowhere to be seen!
It's a glitch in the system. Don't worry - you will get those points.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud ofTintsexpert has much to be proud of

Cant get booked on an IELTS exam till october!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tintsexpert
Cant get booked on an IELTS exam till october!!!!!!!!
Blimey! I've not tried yet. Better get a move on.
Good luck all.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

che1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New visa English requirements-Question!

Originally Posted by kurrikurri
We feel exactly the same. We were shocked, to say the least, yesterday when we found out. We were about to submit our application in September. My husband is in the building trade and works really hard. He has never been out of work. I myself have never been out of work, but dont have enough points to submit the application for us. He has already had his trade passed by the TRA recognition board. I would have rather done the test! He works with his hands, he was born and bred in the UK and can speak english without any problems, but the test is already stressing him out. It is really annoying, but what can we do. I only hope he passes the test because we cannot get into Oz if he fails. The pressure is on him and that is totally unfair.
hi i know just how you feel my hubby has to do the test asap. we were hoping to move to QLD with friends now this life changing decision lies in the hands of some test. just cant wait till its over!!
good look for the test
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by che1
hi i know just how you feel my hubby has to do the test asap. we were hoping to move to QLD with friends now this life changing decision lies in the hands of some test. just cant wait till its over!!
good look for the test
This might be of interest to you.
I was chatting to a friend of mine yesterday about the test. Her husband who was sat next to her said that he was an Invigilator at a private school for the IELT test and that it was a piece of cake!!!
He also said that you need to be calm, not worry about it and do some preperation beforehand.
The test was originally intended for people who English was not their first language and that one of his students couldn't string a proper sentence together and he passed with no problems.
Hope it makes everyone feel better about taking the test.
(Although I am not happy about the cost!!!)
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by charlie-k
This might be of interest to you.
I was chatting to a friend of mine yesterday about the test. Her husband who was sat next to her said that he was an Invigilator at a private school for the IELT test and that it was a piece of cake!!!
He also said that you need to be calm, not worry about it and do some preperation beforehand.
The test was originally intended for people who English was not their first language and that one of his students couldn't string a proper sentence together and he passed with no problems.
Hope it makes everyone feel better about taking the test.
(Although I am not happy about the cost!!!)
no I know what you mean but i suppose it will be worth it in the end. Thanks for the positive info starting to feel alot more relaxed about it.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by che1
no I know what you mean but i suppose it will be worth it in the end. Thanks for the positive info starting to feel alot more relaxed about it.
Great! Good Luck to you too.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

maore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
I was so in disbelief at this new policy that I wrote to the policy department and here is their reply:

As background information, applicants who hold a passport from the
United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, the United States of America and
the Republic of Ireland are exempt from sitting an International English
Language Testing System (IELTS) test to demonstrate that they meet the
English language threshold (competent English). However, all applicants
seeking to demonstrate that they have the higher level of proficient
English must provide an IELTS result demonstrating their level of
English.

This rationale behind this requirement is the fact that not all citizens
of the above mentioned countries applying for skilled migration have
proficient English. Therefore proficient English is rewarded with extra
points.

As a former EFL teacher, I am totally bemused by this policy. The IELTS exams were never designed to test native speakers – they are designed to demonstrate how closely an applicant’s English is to that of a native speaker. So it’s a bit like comparing a fish with a fish…

The policy is also flawed. It is not a requirement of holding a British passport to have “competent” English. I know of people that can barely string a sentence together in English but they qualify for a UK passport. Doesn’t seem fair that they would get points automatically for their English “ability”.

Additionally, some native speakers may not do well in the exam and may not qualify for the full 25 points even though their communication skills are at least “proficient”. Possible reasons for this are any kind of literacy problem, or more likely “exam fright”. The latter is more common that you might think and can be a real problem for some people.

Saying all that, the exams should not present a problem for the majority of native speakers – they should be a breeze in fact. You can learn more about them here. I would just be pissed off at the additional costs and stress involved in having to prove that I was a native speaker.
Since Nov 2005 all applicant to be naturalised as british citizen need to go through a language test in any of the following languages : english , welsh and if I remember correctly scottish .
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

kurrikurri is on a distinguished road

My husband sat the test on Saturday. We had booked it 5 weeks earlier, that was the earliest date, but we had to travel 100 miles to the test centre.

We are hoping he has scored really well. He needs a 7 because he is over 40 and then you start to lose the points! Even though he is a Roofer and Oz are wanting skilled people!

He said the listening test was tricky, but thats because he finds different dialects a little harder and when people talk fast it is hard to take everything in. But thats just my husband. When he did the talking bit, the examiner couldnt believe why my husband had to sit the test and that he needed such a high mark for the emigration process. He was gob smacked to say the least. However, the examiner remarked that my husband had done really well in that test. His topic was 'Employment in Rural Areas'. Rather him than me thats all I can say on that subject.

Be prepared, get the sample test stuff, it helps. We also got a couple of things from ebay cheaply. The more stuff you have the better you will be prepared.

Out of the whole room of people taking the test, only 4 were british and they all were applying for Australia!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kurrikurri
My husband sat the test on Saturday. We had booked it 5 weeks earlier, that was the earliest date, but we had to travel 100 miles to the test centre.

We are hoping he has scored really well. He needs a 7 because he is over 40 and then you start to lose the points! Even though he is a Roofer and Oz are wanting skilled people!

He said the listening test was tricky, but thats because he finds different dialects a little harder and when people talk fast it is hard to take everything in. But thats just my husband. When he did the talking bit, the examiner couldnt believe why my husband had to sit the test and that he needed such a high mark for the emigration process. He was gob smacked to say the least. However, the examiner remarked that my husband had done really well in that test. His topic was 'Employment in Rural Areas'. Rather him than me thats all I can say on that subject.

Be prepared, get the sample test stuff, it helps. We also got a couple of things from ebay cheaply. The more stuff you have the better you will be prepared.

Out of the whole room of people taking the test, only 4 were british and they all were applying for Australia!
good luck hope he has done well OH has test booked for 6 oct hopefully!
Old Sep 29th 2007, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Bag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant future

Just found out that I have to do the IELTS. It's a right pain in the bum but must be done so I'll just get on with it. I'm doing the Academic one which is a bit worrying - if I don't get these 25 points then we can't go!

I'm booked in Portsmouth on the 6th Oct - anyone else?

Alex
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:53 pm
Whey hey got my Visa

allankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to all

Hi there, took my IELTS on the 8th Sept, had bought a book from amazon before had so had a good idea on the format of the test etc, which does help.

As someone else has mentioned there were about 120 people taking the test and about 4 Brits taking it for OZ. It's a long day, but no surprises, and not that difficult.

Got my result last week, all 9's so for anyone worrying about it don't, my spelling is rubbish and if I can get 9's then any Brit can get the required 7+.

My only advice, get a book and be prepared, if you paid £95 for the test you should go the extra £10 for a book. Also be prepared for a very long day, the speaking test takes place in the afternoon and you have to wait your turn in amongst 100's of others.

Best of luck

Allan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.