Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

thebutts has a spectacular aura aboutthebutts has a spectacular aura aboutthebutts has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

"Bonus experience"

look her http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...lity-offer.htm

if your job is on the migration occupation in demand list you get extra points

good luck
Old Sep 5th 2007, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

kurrikurri is on a distinguished road

Thank you for that website link. My husband's job is on the MODL he is a roof, tiler and slater and he has been self employed for at least one year. He had all his papers passed by the TRA a few months ago. SO I am going to contact the emigration company to ask about that.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thebutts
"Bonus experience"

look her http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...lity-offer.htm

if your job is on the migration occupation in demand list you get extra points

good luck
Thanks for that.
To get the full 20 points you need a job offer which I haven't got at the moment and it needs to be a full time offer.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

I have just done a calculation and my husband gets 15 points extra for his occupation in demand/job offer. Including this he still has to get a high score on the IELTS test to get 25 points. The 25 points will make up the 120 total. He is over 40, so he loses points and he has to gain them some how!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kurrikurri
I have just done a calculation and my husband gets 15 points extra for his occupation in demand/job offer. Including this he still has to get a high score on the IELTS test to get 25 points. The 25 points will make up the 120 total. He is over 40, so he loses points and he has to gain them some how!
Yes I know how he feels, I'm over 40,that is where I lose points.
The general test looks quite easy though, has he looked at samples?
Give him some medication to calm his nerves before he does it!!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Oh, I dont know if he will agree with you about easy! He hasnt done any tests for over 25 years and this has really freaked him out. He knows that if he doesnt get a score of 7 or above, then we cannot put our application in. We have spent about £7,000 up to now on emigration fees, I had to do a degree course at one point to make up the number points and pay for it privately, work wouldnt fund it. So we know we have alot to lose if we dont get in, plus our friends live in NSW and they were really looking forward to us going. My husband has his mind up to start his own roofing business up out there, so it isnt like we are going to be living off the state or anything. He has never been on the dole in his life, and this is what happens. We had our heart set on it, so all we can do is pray - if there is a god who will answer these prayers!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh, I dont know if he will agree with you about easy! He hasnt done any tests for over 25 years and this has really freaked him out. He knows that if he doesnt get a score of 7 or above, then we cannot put our application in. We have spent about £7,000 up to now on emigration fees, I had to do a degree course at one point to make up the number points and pay for it privately, work wouldnt fund it. So we know we have alot to lose if we dont get in, plus our friends live in NSW and they were really looking forward to us going. My husband has his mind up to start his own roofing business up out there, so it isnt like we are going to be living off the state or anything. He has never been on the dole in his life, and this is what happens. We had our heart set on it, so all we can do is pray - if there is a god who will answer these prayers!
know it will be very stressful for him but this dream is very real therefore doing the test is a small (or big to him) price to pay. Tell him not to give up yet or he will regret it all his life and he may well feel as though he has let you down too.
My very best wishes and good luck.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Please keep me informed about that too. I would love to know. Maybe we could claim extra if there is some other way.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 4:11 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Please keep me informed about that too. I would love to know. Maybe we could claim extra if there is some other way.
If all else fails you could try state nominated sponsorship.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

To qualify for the 15 points it seems you have to be from a "native English speaking country" which are passport holders from the UK, Canada, New Zealand, the USA, and the Republic of Ireland. "

Are you sure this means just "passport holders" and not actually born in one of those countries???
What about someone who has just got citizenship of one of these countries as an adult as opposed to someone who has lived there all their life but never bothered to get citizenship?

The reason I asked was that I am a "passport holder" from Ireland and was born in Ireland but my wife who is the main applicant on our visa (as an accountant) was not born in Ireland or any of the above countries but is an "irish passport holder" (acquired by marrying myself some years ago).
Would she get 15 points then as an "irish passport holder".

She recently did the academic IELTs test as we thought she had to, having not been born in Ireland and she got the following results:

7.5 listening
7.0 reading
6.5 writing
8.5 speaking

overall score 7.5

We didnt realise that she could have done the general test.

As she needed at least 7.0 in all subjects to get an additional 25 points she didnt achieve that (but was very close).
However as she got at least 6.0 in all subjects she will get 15 points but if she was going to get that anyway as an "irish passport holder" did she really need to bother doing the IELTs test in the first place. (might have saved us some time, money and lots of stress and bother!!)

She has 135 points altogether for the visa application including the 15 points she now has for IELTs. So she is 15 points over what she needs.

Another question.

If someone in a similar situation applying for a visa as an accountant, irish passport holder etc etc has 25 points for IELTs but altogether the same 135 points (or even 120 points), would they be looked upon more favourably for a successful visa than my wife who only got 15 points for IELTs or does it not work like that.
Do they just look to see if you get 120 points and not care how you get them?
Like if for example there was only a few places left for accountants would they go for the ones with 25 points for IELTs even if all applicants applying got above 120 points.
I hope I am not being too confusing.
Would it be worth her while to repeat IELTs to try and get 25 points or should she not bother as she has 135 points.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soulrebel
To qualify for the 15 points it seems you have to be from a "native English speaking country" which are passport holders from the UK, Canada, New Zealand, the USA, and the Republic of Ireland. "

Are you sure this means just "passport holders" and not actually born in one of those countries???
What about someone who has just got citizenship of one of these countries as an adult as opposed to someone who has lived there all their life but never bothered to get citizenship?

The reason I asked was that I am a "passport holder" from Ireland and was born in Ireland but my wife who is the main applicant on our visa (as an accountant) was not born in Ireland or any of the above countries but is an "irish passport holder" (acquired by marrying myself some years ago).
Would she get 15 points then as an "irish passport holder".

She recently did the academic IELTs test as we thought she had to, having not been born in Ireland and she got the following results:

7.5 listening
7.0 reading
6.5 writing
8.5 speaking

overall score 7.5

We didnt realise that she could have done the general test.

As she needed at least 7.0 in all subjects to get an additional 25 points she didnt achieve that (but was very close).
However as she got at least 6.0 in all subjects she will get 15 points but if she was going to get that anyway as an "irish passport holder" did she really need to bother doing the IELTs test in the first place. (might have saved us some time, money and lots of stress and bother!!)

She has 135 points altogether for the visa application including the 15 points she now has for IELTs. So she is 15 points over what she needs.

Another question.

If someone in a similar situation applying for a visa as an accountant, irish passport holder etc etc has 25 points for IELTs but altogether the same 135 points (or even 120 points), would they be looked upon more favourably for a successful visa than my wife who only got 15 points for IELTs or does it not work like that.
Do they just look to see if you get 120 points and not care how you get them?
Like if for example there was only a few places left for accountants would they go for the ones with 25 points for IELTs even if all applicants applying got above 120 points.
I hope I am not being too confusing.
Would it be worth her while to repeat IELTs to try and get 25 points or should she not bother as she has 135 points.

Holding a passport issued by Ireland is good enough to evidence competent English, required by her as a threshold Criterion plus enough to gain her 15 points in the points test. If she scores a totlal of at least 120 with 15 for English then sitting the IELTS was pointless, so to speak. Gaining 135 with 15 for English is some going and presumably means that she is under 30 and has job offer or Spouse points ? You can argue the rights and wrongs of this legislation as in somebody who has lived in IReland for 20 years without gaining an Irish passport, would need to sit IELTS whereas a German resident with no English but an Irish born grandmother, can get an Irish passport and exemption from IELTS - but at least it brings certainty in that you know exactly where you stand.

There is no advantage in scoring more than 120 - no matter what your score, as long as it is 120 or over, you will receive the same treatment with some priority for being on MODL.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Sep 6th 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the reply Tony

Her points are as follows

30 points for age 18-29
60 points for nominated skilled occupation (sol)
15 points for occupation in demand (modl) - with no job offer which would give her 20 points I think.
10 points for work experience
5 points for a community language

and then
15 points for english language ability (as an irish passport holder or for passing IELTS, whichever way you look at it)

total 135 points

So we could have done without all the stress, time, money (225 euro) etc of having to do the IELTs test. It was, as you say, pointless doing the test.

Having acheived the required points and criteria for the visa 175, what are the chances of actually getting it now?
Are there a lot of applications turned down and if so for what reasons?
I think most people on here seem to get the visa if they meet all the requirements.
Is there a high success rate?
Old Sep 6th 2007, 12:52 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

30 points for age 18-29
15 points for occupation in demand (modl) - with no job offer which would give her 20 points I think.

and then
15 points for english language ability (as an irish passport holder or for passing IELTS, whichever way you look at it)

total 135 points

So we could have done without all the stress, time, money (225 euro) etc of having to do the IELTs test. It was, as you say, pointless doing the test.

Having acheived the required points and criteria for the visa 175, what are the chances of actually getting it now?
I think most people on here seem to get the visa if they meet all the requirements.
This is just my opinion but if you meet the criteria, are in good health, don't have a shady past and are not affiliated with any dodgy political group, it shouldn't be a problem. It's not a particularly fast process though...
Old Sep 6th 2007, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

30 points for age 18-29

and then

total 135 points

When she gets a successful assessment for an Accountant, the only places where she could fall down would be her experience for 12 months in the last 24 month period - if this is obviously skilled experience as an accountant then you will definitely get the visa if you all pass the health and character requirements.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Sep 6th 2007, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Tony
She got a successful assessment last month from the CPA in australia and has at least 5 years experience as a fund accountant with a major international finance company.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.