Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

Old Nov 19th 2007, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice
Default Re: native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

Hi,

Don't feel angry about it, it's no different to having your skills assessment or your medical really. It's just part of your application process.

I bought a book by Barrons off Amazon - costs £10 and well worth it. It has lots of sample tests from all four modules and includes a CD containing sample listening tests.

Hope this helps.

Oz Rascal
Old Nov 19th 2007, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

THESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Oz Rascal
Hi,

Don't feel angry about it, it's no different to having your skills assessment or your medical really. It's just part of your application process.

I bought a book by Barrons off Amazon - costs £10 and well worth it. It has lots of sample tests from all four modules and includes a CD containing sample listening tests.

Hope this helps.

Oz Rascal
thanks,how long did the book take to
arrive?

Nicola
Old Nov 19th 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice

Hi, we paid for the express delivery which cost £8 and it arrived within about 36 hours I think.

Good Luck, let me know if you have any questions.

Oz Rascal
Old Nov 19th 2007, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

sampson will become famous soon enough

just go to your nearest Waterstones book store they sell loads of IELTS test books
Old Nov 21st 2007, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

THESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant future

Thanks for replies. Have found useful website that has explained the format of the day so this helps but will still get book

Nicola
Old Nov 21st 2007, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

OZ2GO is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by THESHARMANS
Thanks for replies. Have found useful website that has explained the format of the day so this helps but will still get book

Nicola
Hi there

Don't know if this is the website you are using but I used the ieltshelpnow site, really great and spot on for the format on the day. Hope this helps.

Sue
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

sampson will become famous soon enough

I sat the IELTS test yesterday and didn't find it too bad. I had been revising using the Morgan Terry/Judith Wilson book for the last 5 weeks and was pleased to find that the exam was absolutely identical to what I'd been practicing on so that immediately relaxed me. The problem with the exam for native english people isn't not being able to answer the questions, it's due to you not being able to answer them in the time you are given. The revision books teach you how to answer the questions correctly in the time you are given so come exam day you don't spend half the time on the reading and writing tests thinking about how to answer the questions, you just automatically get stuck into it.
The writing test I personally found to be down to pot luck on how easy I found it, depending on what the topic was I had to write about. On the exam yesterday I had to write a letter to friends about a holiday I've arranged, giving them all the necessary details about the trip in 150 words and 20 mins time frame. This I found no problem but the next one was 250 words long and 40mins to complete, what I thought about noise in todays modern society and what problems it causes and is there ways to reduce noise? Now this one I struggled with as it's not really a subject that I've ever really thought about and the trouble is the time is ticking by so you don't really have the time to start thinking about what to write, so you just start writing what ever comes into your head and as a result my answer consisted of among other things me waffling on about noisy neighbours cutting their lawns every other day with lawnmowers the size of tractors whilst I'm trying to enjoy a beer in my garden,lol.
The speaking test should really be a formality, my examiner told me after I'd finished the test that he deliberately gave me the hardest questions as none of the questions would have challenged me as a native english speaker so as a result I was asked about, would I ever think about setting up my own business venture?(must talk for 2mins on this) and do I think that there is enough legislation to protect todays modern consumer? also what are the pros and cons of large multi-national corporations towards consumers and do I think there should be more world trade laws? I have absolutely no idea about business and trade laws etc but he said I'd done excellent in the test so fingers crossed.
The listening test is about concentration, try not to let you mind wander and when you hear the answer just write it down very quickly not giving too much thought to spelling just yet as whilst you're writing the answer down, the answer to the next questions may well be being played on the tape and if you're concentrating on how to spell the word you'll probably not hear the next answer. At the end of the test you are given 10 minutes to transfer the answers you wrote down on the test paper to the answer sheet, this is where you need to make sure it 's spelt correctly and 10 minutes is plenty of time to do it.
The reading tests are mainly true, false, not given questions along with matching headings to certain paragraphs. The trick to the reading exams is being able to Scan and Scim read, also to be able to identify the key words in each questions e.g What was discovered on the moon in 1999? So you just scan the text looking for either '1999' or the 'moon' and you'll find the answer to the question in that part of the text.
Now I've done the exam even if I've failed (get my results on the 14th) I'm confident that I will eventually pass as the revision books really are the key to passing these exams.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sampson
I sat the IELTS test yesterday and didn't find it too bad. I had been revising using the Morgan Terry/Judith Wilson book for the last 5 weeks and was pleased to find that the exam was absolutely identical to what I'd been practicing on so that immediately relaxed me. The problem with the exam for native english people isn't not being able to answer the questions, it's due to you not being able to answer them in the time you are given. The revision books teach you how to answer the questions correctly in the time you are given so come exam day you don't spend half the time on the reading and writing tests thinking about how to answer the questions, you just automatically get stuck into it.
The writing test I personally found to be down to pot luck on how easy I found it, depending on what the topic was I had to write about. On the exam yesterday I had to write a letter to friends about a holiday I've arranged, giving them all the necessary details about the trip in 150 words and 20 mins time frame. This I found no problem but the next one was 250 words long and 40mins to complete, what I thought about noise in todays modern society and what problems it causes and is there ways to reduce noise? Now this one I struggled with as it's not really a subject that I've ever really thought about and the trouble is the time is ticking by so you don't really have the time to start thinking about what to write, so you just start writing what ever comes into your head and as a result my answer consisted of among other things me waffling on about noisy neighbours cutting their lawns every other day with lawnmowers the size of tractors whilst I'm trying to enjoy a beer in my garden,lol.
The speaking test should really be a formality, my examiner told me after I'd finished the test that he deliberately gave me the hardest questions as none of the questions would have challenged me as a native english speaker so as a result I was asked about, would I ever think about setting up my own business venture?(must talk for 2mins on this) and do I think that there is enough legislation to protect todays modern consumer? also what are the pros and cons of large multi-national corporations towards consumers and do I think there should be more world trade laws? I have absolutely no idea about business and trade laws etc but he said I'd done excellent in the test so fingers crossed.
The listening test is about concentration, try not to let you mind wander and when you hear the answer just write it down very quickly not giving too much thought to spelling just yet as whilst you're writing the answer down, the answer to the next questions may well be being played on the tape and if you're concentrating on how to spell the word you'll probably not hear the next answer. At the end of the test you are given 10 minutes to transfer the answers you wrote down on the test paper to the answer sheet, this is where you need to make sure it 's spelt correctly and 10 minutes is plenty of time to do it.
The reading tests are mainly true, false, not given questions along with matching headings to certain paragraphs. The trick to the reading exams is being able to Scan and Scim read, also to be able to identify the key words in each questions e.g What was discovered on the moon in 1999? So you just scan the text looking for either '1999' or the 'moon' and you'll find the answer to the question in that part of the text.
Now I've done the exam even if I've failed (get my results on the 14th) I'm confident that I will eventually pass as the revision books really are the key to passing these exams.
very useful post sampson - thankyou
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

thanks for your info on the exam,seems from everything I have read that the time is a real concern. Will have to practice like mad! Good luck with your results.
Nicola
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:08 am
Just Joined

TheArbons is an unknown quantity at this point

OK PEEPS, can anyone answer me this....
We have been accepted by TRA we have a CO, but can they still say NO?
Does anyone know of people who have got this far and not been granted a VISA...we do have an agent working for us.

Thanks Nicki x
Old Dec 4th 2007, 3:02 am
Banned

LIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to all

Anyone wishing to claim 25 points for english under schedule 6A of the points test for skilled migration to Australia needs to sit the general IELTS test regardless of where they were born (ie England, Ireland, USA).
Passing at a score of 7 or over in each of the four components of the test (not overall score) results in 25 points being granted under this part of the points test.