Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice
Default Re: native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

Charlie,

I was just thinking the same thing that you need 7.0 in each module - sorry! Is it worth appealing?

We should be submitting our 176 visa online within the next week or two.

Where are you heading when you get there?

Colin
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Oz Rascal
Charlie,

I was just thinking the same thing that you need 7.0 in each module - sorry! Is it worth appealing?

We should be submitting our 176 visa online within the next week or two.

Where are you heading when you get there?

Colin
Don't think it's worth appealing on the reading band. That's pretty cut and dried. Thanks anyway.
Going to Perth - You?
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice

We're heading for Melbourne - we have family over there.

Does this put your application back then or can you resit and submit once you've applied?
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Oz rascal, well done on results, thats one less thing to worry about.

Charlie - think you have to have a minimum of 7 in each component to get the extra points, but I'm not sure if you have to forward the results at the time of application or whether you can send them later, whic would give you time to do another test. Fingers crossed for you.

Sam
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sammy T

Charlie - think you have to have a minimum of 7 in each component to get the extra points, but I'm not sure if you have to forward the results at the time of application or whether you can send them later, whic would give you time to do another test. Fingers crossed for you.

Sam
Thanks both. I think there is a 60 day wait for retake. Not absolutely sure though so will do some searching.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Sam, I'm really chuffed but also really gutted for Charlie-K.

Keep your chin up mate - it's not insurmountable.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Sam, I'm really chuffed but also really gutted for Charlie-K.

Keep your chin up mate - it's not insurmountable.
thanks pal. You are absolutely right. One small hurdle - It won't beat me.
I am however really really pleased for you.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sammy T

Sam
Certainly have to pass at level 7 in each component.
The re-take rule was actually 90 days but it no longer applies.
Thanks for your kind thoughts.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Charlie,

That's good news then, at least you can retake as soon as possible then.

Did you have the Barrons revision book? If not, I've got one that I could send up to you.

Good luck and keep in touch - this shouldn't stop you submitting your application should it?

Colin
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Charlie,

That's good news then, at least you can retake as soon as possible then.

Did you have the Barrons revision book? If not, I've got one that I could send up to you.

Good luck and keep in touch - this shouldn't stop you submitting your application should it?

Colin
Thanks Colin.
That's very kind of you.
No it won't stop me submitting my application.
I used the 'Official IELTS Practice Materials' book from the IELTS website.
The Barrons sounds useful. I will PM you with my address. If you PM me with yours I will forward cost of book.
Let me know how yor application is going. I bet you are extremeny excited!!
Old Nov 19th 2007, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

THESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

Right...have I got this right ??
My wife has lived all her life in the UK, trained as a nurse and midwife, had her skills assessed (Letter of determination received) and is an in demand job but yet has only scored 115 points (Let down by the fact she is over 40.) She now has to do an English test in order to pick up extra points to take us to the 120 !!! Is this right or have we missed something. If this is so then every 40+ nurse in the UK (With an unskilled hubby !!) will have to suffer the indignity of proving their english language abilities. Some please tell us we have missed something !!
Old Nov 19th 2007, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

thebutts has a spectacular aura aboutthebutts has a spectacular aura aboutthebutts has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by THESHARMANS
Right...have I got this right ??
My wife has lived all her life in the UK, trained as a nurse and midwife, had her skills assessed (Letter of determination received) and is an in demand job but yet has only scored 115 points (Let down by the fact she is over 40.) She now has to do an English test in order to pick up extra points to take us to the 120 !!! Is this right or have we missed something. If this is so then every 40+ nurse in the UK (With an unskilled hubby !!) will have to suffer the indignity of proving their english language abilities. Some please tell us we have missed something !!
Hi

Im also a nurse.

Im guessing your wife is entitled to the points for specific work experience (10 points for working 3 of the last 4 yrs in nominated job)
Also the occupation in demand points 15 for being on the list, but you get 20 if you also have a job offer, which would mean your wife would have 120 points.

Fairly straightforward for nurses/midwives to get jobs whilst still here.

Good luck
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

THESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant future

Yep, the problem is no job offer at this time so lacking on the points front !!!
Very very frustrating (And bloody pointless -- the wife !!)
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi,

I know it seems frustrating but taking the test is a relatively easy way of boosting your score by 10 points.

I know it costs £95 and a day out of your life but as someone else on this thread said if it allows you to get your visa, hey, it's worth it isn't it?

I was short 5 points for my application and I sat the test, passed and met some decent people on the day of the test. It seems a real pain at first but once it's passed you realise how much of a difference it could make for not a lot of pain really.

Good luck if you do take the test.

Oz Rascal
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

I know it seems frustrating but taking the test is a relatively easy way of boosting your score by 10 points.

I know it costs £95 and a day out of your life but as someone else on this thread said if it allows you to get your visa, hey, it's worth it isn't it?

I was short 5 points for my application and I sat the test, passed and met
some decent people on the day of the test. It seems a real pain at first but once it's passed you realise how much of a difference it could make for not a lot of pain really.

Good luck if you do take the test.

Oz Rascal
Hi thanks for the reply - have accepted now that must do the test even though it grieves me greatly,feel so humiliated. Still, will try to ignore my inner angst and get on with it!
Can you tell me exactly what the listening section involves as cant seem to find anything about it? Did you get a book for revision and if so can you recommend one? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.