Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

Old Oct 12th 2007, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice
Default Re: native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

Hi guys,

I'm taking my IELTS test on the 3rd November No matter how much I read from others about how easy it is, I'm still really worried about it.

I've ordered the book from Amazon which I should have tomorrow so that may help put my mind at rest.

Wish me luck!!

Oz Rascal
Old Oct 12th 2007, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Good Luck!!!!!!!
I haven't taken mine yet. The book is really good, there's a cd with it too,thats useful. I have been told that the trick is not to worry - ha ha
Let us all know how you get on.
Regards

Originally Posted by Oz Rascal
Hi guys

I'm taking my IELTS test on the 3rd November No matter how much I read from others about how easy it is, I'm still really worried about it.

I've ordered the book from Amazon which I should have tomorrow so that may help put my mind at rest.

Wish me luck!!

Oz Rascal
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice

Thanks Charlie.

Good Luck with your test too, when do you take it?

I know what you mean - I think the trick is to not rush it and as you said before, a lot of the questions are quite ambiguous so best to just take your time.

The thing I'm worried about the most is the writing test, I could type all day long but I was doing a practice test the other night and my hand was killing after 5 minutes :curse: I'm going to keep practising every day - feel like I'm in training.

I don't know why, but my Wife thinks I'm going to struggle with the listening test the most

Oz Rascal
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

I haven't got the date yet because my friend is taking it too and she wanted to organise it.She hasn't confirmed the date yet. I will be contacting her again today. I want to get it out of the way!
I wonder what your wife meant? Can't imagine

Thanks Charlie.

Good Luck with your test too, when do you take it?

I know what you mean - I think the trick is to not rush it and as you said before, a lot of the questions are quite ambiguous so best to just take your time.

The thing I'm worried about the most is the writing test, I could type all day long but I was doing a practice test the other night and my hand was killing after 5 minutes :curse: I'm going to keep practising every day - feel like I'm in training.

I don't know why, but my Wife thinks I'm going to struggle with the listening test the most

Oz Rascal
Old Oct 13th 2007, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

kurrikurri is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

My husband received his test results today - only a week late due to the postal strike!! Hooray, he has a score of 8 I am so proud of him, we are all jumping for joy. He needed a 7, but scored higher.

He did alot of practice, bought books and tapes.

Now we can put our application in. We are all smiling like cheshire cats!!!

Thank you for all your messages when we were worried about the test.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Bag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant future

Hi

Took the IELTS Academic test on 6th Oct and just received results. Managed to get 9.0 in all sections except the writing and got 8.0 on that. My average came out as a 9.0 so I'm pleased with myself.

Advice to anyone - I think the General writing test is more straight forward than the academic one so don't panic. The reading test is the hardest - probably because you don't expect it to be. Mine was all about El Nino, Interpretation and the 5 senses. Make sure you don't lose concentration on the listening test and you'll be fine. the speaking test is great. My lady laughed the whole way through as I just prattled on and on. I would recommend checking out the practise stuff online. I wish I had looked more at the writing papers. I had to interpret a table and I got myself in a right muddle trying to organise myself - if I'd practised I would have been more prepared. The second part of the writing was to give opinions on architects. I found this easier but again, wish I'd practised more. Anyway, I got through it and so will you all. The general test is more 'real life' based whereas the academic was, as you'd expect, much more cerebral!
I felt most sorry for those in the test whose first language isn't english - how they manage I don't know. (Having said that most of them seemed to be doctors in my test!)
On the day there were 4 of us aiming to emigrate to Oz. Only I was doing academic test (thanks for that OH!)

Alex
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alex,

Great news, well done you!!

I've been practicing - general test booked for 3rd November - so hopefully I won't come across any major surprises.

Oz Rascal
Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

maccy124 is an unknown quantity at this point

I read somewhere something about having done an undergraduate degree in the uk meaning that you don't have to do the test. I'm guessing that this is complete bull. is it??
Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Suuz will become famous soon enoughSuuz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by maccy124
I read somewhere something about having done an undergraduate degree in the uk meaning that you don't have to do the test. I'm guessing that this is complete bull. is it??

Hi there

If you need the 25 points you have to sit the ielts test. As I read on here somewhere, doesn't matter if you are an oxford Don, you still have to sit the test if you need the points. Thankfully though it is only the general one (not academic).
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

sampson will become famous soon enough

Just booked up my IELTS test. I'm going to sit the test on the 1st of December at Colchester Language centre. Let the revision begin!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sampson
Just booked up my IELTS test. I'm going to sit the test on the 1st of December at Colchester Language centre. Let the revision begin!
Good Luck!
I have now my test date: 3rd November Aaaaargh!!

If anyone has ideas for question on writing modules, it might be useful to share them. e.g
'Write about where you live' - look up history, poulation stats for your town etc
'Pros and cons of boarding school education' - use internet for research
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Charlie K - where are you sitting the test? I'm also doing mine on the 3rd.

Oz Rascal
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Charlie K - where are you sitting the test? I'm also doing mine on the 3rd.

Oz Rascal
Nottingham university - and you?
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'll be down in Hendon, never mind, thought we could grab a coffee or something. Good luck mate, hope it goes well.

I bought the IELTS sample test book and most of what I've seen seems pretty general - no knowledge required or assumed - just a matter of giving your opinion and backing it up.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'll be down in Hendon, never mind, thought we could grab a coffee or something. Good luck mate, hope it goes well.

I bought the IELTS sample test book and most of what I've seen seems pretty general - no knowledge required or assumed - just a matter of giving your opinion and backing it up.
Good Luck to you too !!!!
The book is quite good isn't it? There's a useful website: www.ielts-blog.com
It has lots of example questions on it for the essay writing module. I have been practicing and now my head hurts.
Let us know how you get on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.