Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Names of non-migrating members of the family unit

Names of non-migrating members of the family unit

Old May 8th 2022, 3:27 am
Just Joined

Aditya_Hardik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Names of non-migrating members of the family unit

Hi everyone,

I have a question for my friend because she is not good at English.

She has some confusion when filling family name and given names for non-migrating members of the family unit in visa application (eg. in Part D of form 47SP, Part G of form 47of) because the forms do not ask about other names for these family members. Family members such as siblings who got married and have new family name of spouse or have officially changed their name and have certificate of name change.

She intends to follow one of 2 below options and she hopes to hear advice and experience from Bros (eg. what are advantages and disadvantages of these 2 options)

1. Filling their new and current names (if known)

2. Filling all with birth names (same family names) to confirm family association.

Thanks everyone so much for your time.
Old May 8th 2022, 3:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Names of non-migrating members of the family unit

Originally Posted by Aditya_Hardik
Hi everyone,

I have a question for my friend because she is not good at English.

She has some confusion when filling family name and given names for non-migrating members of the family unit in visa application (eg. in Part D of form 47SP, Part G of form 47of) because the forms do not ask about other names for these family members. Family members such as siblings who got married and have new family name of spouse or have officially changed their name and have certificate of name change.

She intends to follow one of 2 below options and she hopes to hear advice and experience from Bros (eg. what are advantages and disadvantages of these 2 options)

1. Filling their new and current names (if known)

2. Filling all with birth names (same family names) to confirm family association.

Thanks everyone so much for your time.
Current names is fine. There is no need to prove the family relationship
Old May 8th 2022, 4:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Current names is fine. There is no need to prove the family relationship
Thanks. In case, she does not know her sibling's current name. Is birth name fine or not?
Old May 8th 2022, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Double check the question. Is it asking for non migrating members of family unit. If so the definition of family unit is immediate family, you partner and any children it doesn’t include siblings or parents. There is a section about parents and siblings somewhere on one of the forms, form 80?
Old May 8th 2022, 5:51 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding of family unit is person, partner and eligible dependent children - https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help...elp-h0175.aspx

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/form...orms/1496i.pdf
Old May 8th 2022, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rammygirl
Double check the question. Is it asking for non migrating members of family unit. If so the definition of family unit is immediate family, you partner and any children it doesn’t include siblings or parents. There is a section about parents and siblings somewhere on one of the forms, form 80?
Thanks very much. You're right. Maybe siblings are non migrating members of an associated family. In form 80 It is the question 45 of page 15/19 and in this form there are blanks to fill other name of siblings, but no any blank for filling other name of siblings in forms of 47SP (question 30, part D, page 9 of 27) and form 47OF (question 58, part G, page 14 of 25). My friend's question is focusing on forms 47SP and 47OF. Any advice you could give would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Aditya_Hardik; May 8th 2022 at 8:19 am.
Old May 8th 2022, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much for your information, old.sparkles. Maybe siblings are non migrating members of an associated family. My friend's question is focusing on form 47SP (question 30, part D, page 9 of 27) and form 47OF (question 58, part G, page 14 of 25). Any advice you could give would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Aditya_Hardik; May 8th 2022 at 8:18 am.
Old May 8th 2022, 9:15 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for your information, old.sparkles. Maybe siblings are non migrating members of an associated family. My friend's question is focusing on form 47SP (question 30, part D, page 9 of 27) and form 47OF (question 58, part G, page 14 of 25). Any advice you could give would be much appreciated.
It does look like you need to list all family on 47SP - Application for migration to Australia by a partner

What is the purpose of 47OF? This is for aged dependent relative / remaining relative / carer, and 47SP will cover the family unit. What visa is your friend applying for?
Old May 8th 2022, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
It does look like you need to list all family on 47SP - Application for migration to Australia by a partner

What is the purpose of 47OF? This is for aged dependent relative / remaining relative / carer, and 47SP will cover the family unit. What visa is your friend applying for?
Thanks very much. My friend is applying for partner visa and must complete form 47SP. Form 47OP is just giving more information/reference about "why no any blank of other name for siblings" in these type of forms.
Old May 8th 2022, 11:14 am

Thanks very much. My friend is applying for partner visa and must complete form 47SP. Form 47OP is just giving more information/reference about "why no any blank of other name for siblings" in these type of forms.
I couldn't find a reference within 47SP - only to 47A.
Old May 8th 2022, 11:20 am
Just Joined

I couldn't find a reference within 47SP - only to 47A.
Thanks for your reply. Should my friend choose option 1 or 2?
Old May 8th 2022, 11:42 am

Thanks for your reply. Should my friend choose option 1 or 2?
If it were me, I'd go with 1.

Perhaps your friend would benefit from support from the partner and/or a MARA agent.
Old May 8th 2022, 3:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

47OF is not generally required for a Partner Visa. Has your friend been asked for this specific form? If your friend is unclear as to which forms to complete then consulting a MARA agent would be a good idea.
Old May 9th 2022, 1:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
47OF is not generally required for a Partner Visa. Has your friend been asked for this specific form? If your friend is unclear as to which forms to complete then consulting a MARA agent would be a good idea.
Thanks for your time. She will consult a MARA agent about this.
Old May 9th 2022, 1:40 am
Just Joined

If it were me, I'd go with 1.

Perhaps your friend would benefit from support from the partner and/or a MARA agent.
Thanks very much. I will ask my friend to consult a MARA agent about this.