Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

My (UK based) bro may be looking for a job in the mines

My (UK based) bro may be looking for a job in the mines

Old May 5th 2008, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Mud Pod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My (UK based) bro may be looking for a job in the mines

He thinks the UK is going a bit tits up, so wants out for a while (maybe a year). It’s just him, no dependents, so can be very flexible and live/work anywhere.

He’s not too up on qualifications in the form of O levels, but got plenty of suitable skills. He can drive HGVs, all sorts of site equipment/plant machinery, operate general building equipment etc.

Any thoughts on how to go about it, given there’s supposed to be a labour shortage in the more remote parts. He's not one for filling in millions of forms, so is there an 'easy' one-year visa or summat (he's in his mid 30s). Cheers
Old May 5th 2008, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: My (UK based) bro may be looking for a job in the mines

Your brother sounds exactly like the people that are needed in the mines. I am sure one of the agencies that hire mine personnel will help him fill in the forms.
Old May 5th 2008, 8:12 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mud Pod
He thinks the UK is going a bit tits up, so wants out for a while (maybe a year). It’s just him, no dependents, so can be very flexible and live/work anywhere.

He’s not too up on qualifications in the form of O levels, but got plenty of suitable skills. He can drive HGVs, all sorts of site equipment/plant machinery, operate general building equipment etc.

Any thoughts on how to go about it, given there’s supposed to be a labour shortage in the more remote parts. He's not one for filling in millions of forms, so is there an 'easy' one-year visa or summat (he's in his mid 30s). Cheers
You need to look at it from an Australian employers perspective. If he arrived in Australia tomorrow he would effectively, have NO useable Australian skills or qualifications, thus rendering him unemployable.

It is exceedingly difficult, despite the labour shortage, to get work in the mines. There are numerous courses and licenses he will need before a mining employer will even consider looking at him.

Then there are the visa issues that go with it - there is no such thing as a 'quick' one year visa. There is a working holiday visa - but that only allows you to work limited hours. Its issue also depends on age, I fear that in his mid thirties, he will be too old.
Old May 5th 2008, 11:50 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

If you look in the sydney morning herald or the newcastle herald

SMH.com.au

theherald.com.au

they hav ebeen running ads for the past 3-4 weeks looking for workers for a range of mines in QLD and NT.

Everything from cooks, cleaners and general helpers to technical staff like explosives technicians.

Good money, somewher aroun $1500 per week for an unskilled person, plus all travel, insurance, transport etc to and from the mine.

I had a mate who did this on and off for 12 months - he saved tens of thousands and is now on a 12 month round the wolrd holiday based on what he earned!
Old May 6th 2008, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

jaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nice

rob is right as to licences from uk etc, i have em all being in open casts and trucks for years and all are useless apart from experience when i do swap over to oz qualifications... family friend went to townsville late last year and has chucked his hose fitting job to do 2wks on 1 wk off in mines and is loving it... money is great but he had years on hoses with plant vehicles so even though he didny have oz spec qualifications, he had the time in exp.. which is worth more..but still no easy route... but certainly worth doing . also, the last time i worked in oz (on a dive charter in port douglas 2003) there was the 3 month work visa thing but the company would shift ye about from dept to dept paperworkwise to keep ye there as long as need be (if you were what they needed) .. not 100% legal i dont think but hey... oh and wasnt me btw as i had a business visa and didnt stay more than 6 weeks there anyway..
Old May 6th 2008, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

This isn't my level of recruiting but would echo what everyone else has said.
Old May 6th 2008, 4:41 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I can understand how Oz looks after its own, which is maybe no bad thing. But I dare say he’d be a lot more useful than some numpty with a certificate. He knows how to fix plant machinery too (started out as a mechanic), which is only something that comes with years of experience.

It looks like his options will be limited but I think he’d go for the 3 months if that’s possible, then see how the land lies.

This 3-month work visa, is it easy to get? If he gets that, then I guess he could start applying for some of these jobs on-line. Or even just turn up at one of the agencies that employs mine workers.

Is that the way to go, the 3-months visa? cheers
Old May 6th 2008, 7:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand how Oz looks after its own, which is maybe no bad thing. But I dare say he’d be a lot more useful than some numpty with a certificate. He knows how to fix plant machinery too (started out as a mechanic), which is only something that comes with years of experience.
Irrelevant.

It looks like his options will be limited but I think he’d go for the 3 months if that’s possible, then see how the land lies.

This 3-month work visa, is it easy to get? If he gets that, then I guess he could start applying for some of these jobs on-line. Or even just turn up at one of the agencies that employs mine workers.

I have no idea about the three month visa but even if he did have one, no business is going to look at him whilst he's in the UK, they are unlikely to even reply. He would need to be here and then it could take months before he found something. Get him to contact a reputable MARA registered agent to discuss his options, if he has any. Alan Collett and George Lombard are both very reputable and post on the Immigration Forum. Check out their profiles and you'll get their email addresses. First, short consultation is generally free. In fact I'll move this to the Immi forum and you can see what happens.
Old May 6th 2008, 7:33 am

You seem to be missing the critical points here - there are three.

Firstly, without actual 'Australian' certificates & licences, he won't even get a sniff of a machine - trust me on this one.
Secondly, there is no such thing as a 3 month work visa! It is a 1 year working holiday visa - you are not allowed to work for more than 6 months at a time for any one company and is aimed at young people to give them experience in travelling and other cultures.
Thirdly, you mentioned that he is in his mid thirties - the cut off point to be eligible for a working holiday visa is age 30.

Wikipedia's take on WHV's

Quite frankly, his options appear to be very slim. I am by no means an expert so am happy to be proven wrong.
Old May 7th 2008, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Ok guys, pretty much looks like it’s a non-starter. I said I’d look into it for him, since the internet is not really his thing.

A bit of a long shot on here, but what are the options of just turning up on a tourist visa and start working. Is he likely to get a job, although get booted out when/if he’s caught (less likely in the middle of nowhere i guess). He’s not looking at this as a permanent thing, so can afford to get chucked out. Will he get a job, or will no one touch him without the right papers? cheers
Old May 7th 2008, 7:55 am

Ok guys, pretty much looks like it’s a non-starter. I said I’d look into it for him, since the internet is not really his thing.

A bit of a long shot on here, but what are the options of just turning up on a tourist visa and start working. Is he likely to get a job, although get booted out when/if he’s caught (less likely in the middle of nowhere i guess). He’s not looking at this as a permanent thing, so can afford to get chucked out. Will he get a job, or will no one touch him without the right papers? cheers
They're pretty hot on checking visas here before an offer of employment is made (in my experience anyway).

If you are suggesting he work here as an illegal immigrant then I can't offer you anymore advice except that, this forum is well known to be used by immigration officials.

Last edited by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer; May 7th 2008 at 8:25 am.
Old May 7th 2008, 9:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

First off I can't see him being employed with only tourist papers but should he get a job and then get found out which will happen because of all the stuff you have to go through to be a person here, he'll get thrown out and not be allowed even a visitors visa in the future so it would sort of defeat the purpose.
Old May 7th 2008, 9:33 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Besides, business owners are heavily fined here for employing illegal immigrants. The bigger the company the more they have to lose in terms of fines and reputation.

I don't imagine they will be queuing up to employ him.