Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Is my crimninal record over the threshold to apply for a working visa ?

Is my crimninal record over the threshold to apply for a working visa ?

Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

kyle2643 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is my crimninal record over the threshold to apply for a working visa ?

( Hello everyone I looking to move away from Britain my first choices where Canada Australia and New Zealand however my criminal record prevents me form gaining a visa to live or work in any of them so i have started looking a bit closer to home.

Is it correct that just because I am an EU citizen I can live and work anywhere in the EU with or with out a criminal record, seems a bit to good to be true to me.

I have had 2 prison sentences one of 15 months for affray and the other 6 months for Actual bodily harm however i only served 4 1/2 months in prison for the first offence and the 6 month sentence was a suspended sentence so i never actually went to prison although i think it still counts.

do i have a chance in hell or not ?

can anyone she some light on the situation for me please thank you )

^^^ORIGINAL POST^^^

This was my original post on another section of the site however, I received a couple of replies that seemed to think that i would still perhaps have a chance at getting an Australian working visa.

Obviously you guys are the people in the know so any information at all would be most appreciated thank you.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my crimninal record over the threshold to apply for a working visa ?

Even putting the convictions aside, do you qualify for a visa?

If you do, your convictions would be sufficient to cause complications to your application, it doesn't matter wat you served or even if it was suspended, sentences over 12 months are problematic. Not sure that anyone on here could predict the outcome though.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Is my crimninal record over the threshold to apply for a working visa ?

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Even putting the convictions aside, do you qualify for a visa?

If you do, your convictions would be sufficient to cause complications to your application, it doesn't matter wat you served or even if it was suspended, sentences over 12 months are problematic. Not sure that anyone on here could predict the outcome though.
I'm not expecting a yes or no answer, I just want to know if its possible of if anyone knows of anyone else that has been granted a visa with a criminal record of a similar nature.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

First, yes you can live and work anywhere in Europe. You do not require a visa.

You may be able to get a WHV for Oz, but I would advise you consult a expert migration agent such as Alan from Go Matilda.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 12:13 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kyle2643
I'm not expecting a yes or no answer, I just want to know if its possible of if anyone knows of anyone else that has been granted a visa with a criminal record of a similar nature.
Yes it's possible. Yes others have been granted visas with criminal records.

However, the question BS asked was do you even qualify for a visa to live and work in Australia, Canada or New Zealand? You will need to check that before worrying about whether a criminal record matters. If you don't have a means of qualifying for a visa then the record becomes a moot point.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 6:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

( Hello everyone I looking to move away from Britain my first choices where Canada Australia and New Zealand however my criminal record prevents me form gaining a visa to live or work in any of them so i have started looking a bit closer to home.

Is it correct that just because I am an EU citizen I can live and work anywhere in the EU with or with out a criminal record, seems a bit to good to be true to me.

I have had 2 prison sentences one of 15 months for affray and the other 6 months for Actual bodily harm however i only served 4 1/2 months in prison for the first offence and the 6 month sentence was a suspended sentence so i never actually went to prison although i think it still counts.

do i have a chance in hell or not ?

can anyone she some light on the situation for me please thank you )

^^^ORIGINAL POST^^^

This was my original post on another section of the site however, I received a couple of replies that seemed to think that i would still perhaps have a chance at getting an Australian working visa.

Obviously you guys are the people in the know so any information at all would be most appreciated thank you.
firstly have a good read of www.imm.gov.au thats where you can find out if you qualify for a visa, ignoring the conviction issue.
Secondly, have a consultation with a registered agent - George Lombard and ian Harrop are known to have experience with conviction issues. Australia takes individual circumstances into account, its not as black and white as Canada and the US, so a discussion outlining any extenuating circumstances, how you have trying to chance since your convictions etc etc may be beneficial to you.

i have seen posters over the years get visas with worse records, so its not impossible, but you really do need professional advice.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

yes I do qualify for a working visa convictions aside and thank you all for your comments and your time
Old Jan 24th 2014, 11:09 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

yes I do qualify for a working visa convictions aside and thank you all for your comments and your time
When you say working visa, do you mean working holiday visa or do you mean skilled migrant visas?
Old Jan 26th 2014, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

If you are talking about a working holiday visa just apply online yourself and declare any criminal convictions (I wouldn't bother with an agent for a working holiday visa).

My cousin was in the same boat as you, he applied for a working holiday visa nearly 3 years ago, he was just honest and declared his conviction. While working on his working holiday visa one of his employers sponsored him and now he is living here on a permanent visa.

As long as you are honest that's the main thing.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by canadaeh
If you are talking about a working holiday visa just apply online yourself and declare any criminal convictions (I wouldn't bother with an agent for a working holiday visa).

My cousin was in the same boat as you, he applied for a working holiday visa nearly 3 years ago, he was just honest and declared his conviction. While working on his working holiday visa one of his employers sponsored him and now he is living here on a permanent visa.

yes I was referring a working holiday visa and thats very interesting thank you very much I will give it a go
Old Jan 27th 2014, 12:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadaeh

Be aware though that the severity of the sentence, type of offence, and timeline since its occurence can have a bearing. This poster is admitting to two prison sentecnes - DIBP will look at that with more attention than they would at say one caution for shoplifting.