British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   My Australian Bachelor of Nursing degree still does not give me enough points! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/my-australian-bachelor-nursing-degree-still-does-not-give-me-enough-points-688501/)

Watt Dabney Oct 6th 2010 11:04 pm

My Australian Bachelor of Nursing degree still does not give me enough points!

Am I missing something?!

Ok here is the situation.

I hold UK and NZ passports (along with hubby & kids), and have lived in Qld for 3yrs.

We can live here ok as kiwis but would like to get Oz residency for the kids.

Hubby no longer works in the profession in which he is qualified and cannot face the prospect of a skills assessment.

I am about to complete my 3yr Bachelor of Nursing degree in Qld and have secured a position starting next yr in my local hosp.

I was looking to apply under me after my one yrs experience, when I will be 43.

However it seems I only get 5 points for my Aus Bachelor degree as its not an honors degree (I am on track to get a distinction tho), this leaves me 5 points short under general skilled.

After some investigation I see regional sponsored is an option, I was hoping to go general skilled tho.

So to all those clever agents out there, am I missing something?! Cause it seems such a bummer that my Aus nursing degree is worth so little?!

Thanx in advance

Paula

Dorothy Oct 6th 2010 11:35 pm

Re: My Australian Bachelor of Nursing degree still does not give me enough points!

Originally Posted by Watt Dabney (Post 8900900)
Am I missing something?!

Ok here is the situation.

I hold UK and NZ passports (along with hubby & kids), and have lived in Qld for 3yrs.

We can live here ok as kiwis but would like to get Oz residency for the kids.

Hubby no longer works in the profession in which he is qualified and cannot face the prospect of a skills assessment.

I am about to complete my 3yr Bachelor of Nursing degree in Qld and have secured a position starting next yr in my local hosp.

I was looking to apply under me after my one yrs experience, when I will be 43.

However it seems I only get 5 points for my Aus Bachelor degree as its not an honors degree (I am on track to get a distinction tho), this leaves me 5 points short under general skilled.

After some investigation I see regional sponsored is an option, I was hoping to go general skilled tho.

So to all those clever agents out there, am I missing something?! Cause it seems such a bummer that my Aus nursing degree is worth so little?!

Thanx in advance

Paula

Why doesn't your hospital sponsor you for ENS?

tomar Oct 6th 2010 11:54 pm

Re: My Australian Bachelor of Nursing degree still does not give me enough points!

Have you taken the IELTS test for the extra 10 points if you get at least 7 in all 4 parts? If you haven't then this is a way to get the missing points.

Watt Dabney Oct 7th 2010 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8900947)
Why doesn't your hospital sponsor you for ENS?

As its a graduate position its only for 12mths

Watt Dabney Oct 7th 2010 1:30 am

Originally Posted by tomar (Post 8900984)
Have you taken the IELTS test for the extra 10 points if you get at least 7 in all 4 parts? If you haven't then this is a way to get the missing points.

I am already counting on getting full points allowance for english through taking the IELTS (not done it yet).