Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Mums coming over !! What do we need to get her??

Mums coming over !! What do we need to get her??

Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:46 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mums coming over !! What do we need to get her??

Originally Posted by Sunshine7
I wasn't suggesting for one minute anybody should abuse the system, sorry if you took it that way. I was only explaining the facts - all of which can be found on the DIAC website.

I didn't think the OP was intending to play any "kind of game", I just took it that their mother was coming over next year for a holiday - if they are intending for her to live in Australia then I missed that part of the thread
The facts are that particular visa is a 3 month visa meant for people taking a long holiday, not abusing it by staying 3 months, going off shore then back again for another 3 months etc, etc. Which is what you said. I don't think the OP intended playing any games either -it was your suggestion not theirs

Anyways I think we've made it clear this is not what the visa is for so at least that's sorted
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
The facts are that particular visa is a 3 month visa meant for people taking a long holiday, not abusing it by staying 3 months, going off shore then back again for another 3 months etc, etc. Which is what you said. I don't think the OP intended playing any games either -it was your suggestion not theirs

Anyways I think we've made it clear this is not what the visa is for so at least that's sorted
I really, really didn't mean anything dishonest If it is a three month visa though, then why does it last for a year I wonder, why not just three months?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I really, really didn't mean anything dishonest If it is a three month visa though, then why does it last for a year I wonder, why not just three months?
It lasts for a year with the intention that people can visit more than once without having to pay for another visa - I did it years ago, a trip in the April, than another trip the following February. I then got a new evisitor before my next trip in September.

Not saying that this is what you were suggesting at all but......there are some people who use evisitor visas as a way round the system; they come on a 3 month visa, leave and hop to NZ, re-enter the next day for another three months....at the end of the year they apply from NZ for a new visa and do the same again. They are the people that are trying to "establish residence"and live in Aus while only on a tourist visa. DIAC naturally don't approve of this as evisitor visas are designed for visitors not migrants, and so if someone tries this too often they may get refused entry. For a start you can't work on an evisitor, so it raises questions for Immigration as to where the money is coming for the visa holder to live on - eg are they working illegally? We've had many people on here asking about situations like this in the past, and wanting to live in Aus holding no more than a tourist visa.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
It lasts for a year with the intention that people can visit more than once without having to pay for another visa - I did it years ago, a trip in the April, than another trip the following February. I then got a new evisitor before my next trip in September.

Not saying that this is what you were suggesting at all but......there are some people who use evisitor visas as a way round the system; they come on a 3 month visa, leave and hop to NZ, re-enter the next day for another three months....at the end of the year they apply from NZ for a new visa and do the same again. They are the people that are trying to "establish residence"and live in Aus while only on a tourist visa. DIAC naturally don't approve of this as evisitor visas are designed for visitors not migrants, and so if someone tries this too often they may get refused entry. For a start you can't work on an evisitor, so it raises questions for Immigration as to where the money is coming for the visa holder to live on - eg are they working illegally? We've had many people on here asking about situations like this in the past, and wanting to live in Aus holding no more than a tourist visa.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer

Ah, but they don't pay for this visa at all, it's totally free. Maybe it's just what it "says on the tin", the visitor can stay up to three months on each trip, and the visa lasts for a year - so it's ok and quite legal to have a few trips if you like, as long as no trips lasts for more than three months?

Thanks for that Polly - so my dear old Pa can come twice or three times a year (for a few weeks at a time I must add, though he could stay longer) to see his grandbabies and there is no problem. I reckon that is exactly what the visa is designed for, and he definitely is not planning on living here - loves the UK and would never consider for one moment moving here - couldn't afford to either but that's another thread for another day (he is partial to bananas)

I didn't mean to imply the visa could be misused in my earlier post ....................

Last edited by Sunshine7; Sep 28th 2011 at 3:51 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, but they don't pay for this visa at all, it's totally free. Maybe it's just what it "says on the tin", the visitor can stay up to three months on each trip, and the visa lasts for a year - so it's ok and quite legal to have a few trips if you like, as long as no trips lasts for more than three months?

Thanks for that Polly - so my dear old Pa can come twice or three times a year (for a few weeks at a time I must add, though he could stay longer) to see his grandbabies and there is no problem. I reckon that is exactly what the visa is designed for, and he definitely is not planning on living here - loves the UK and would never consider for one moment moving here - couldn't afford to either but that's another thread for another day (he is partial to bananas)

I didn't mean to imply the visa could be misused in my earlier post ....................
When I used to use it the cost was about £8 but I'm going back a few years, it may be free now. Your understanding is right though, exactly what it says on the tin, and sounds like just what would suit your dad