Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Mum and Dad visiting in November - Please Help!

Mum and Dad visiting in November - Please Help!

Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

ianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mum and Dad visiting in November - Please Help!

Hi Guys, hope somebody can help me?
Mum and Dad are visiting for the first time this November (For the 1st Ashes test ) and I am trying to explain the tourist e visitor process to them, sadly they are far from being even basic computer and internet users so pointing them in the direction of the immi.gov.au website is proving hard work to expalin to them from over here in Brisbane.

Given the 10 hour time difference too, I have asked them to ring Australia House in London and get some forms sent out to them (the old fashioned way ), They have since done this and been told that because they are both 65 and visiting family only as tourists that they do not need a visa to enter Australia

This just does not feel right and correct to me, so I have googled and canty find any exemptions to anybody based on age for them not needing a visa to enter Australia???

Please help, I would hate for them to be refused entry when they arrived due to them having no visa.........Has anybody ever been in the same boat when their parents have flown over please??
Old Jun 10th 2010, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mum and Dad visiting in November - Please Help!

Originally Posted by babyboo2101
Mum and Dad are visiting for the first time this November (For the 1st Ashes test ) and I am trying to explain the tourist e visitor process to them, sadly they are far from being even basic computer and internet users so pointing them in the direction of the immi.gov.au website is proving hard work to expalin to them from over here in Brisbane.

Given the 10 hour time difference too, I have asked them to ring Australia House in London and get some forms sent out to them (the old fashioned way ), They have since done this and been told that because they are both 65 and visiting family only as tourists that they do not need a visa to enter Australia

This just does not feel right and correct to me, so I have googled and canty find any exemptions to anybody based on age for them not needing a visa to enter Australia???

Please help, I would hate for them to be refused entry when they arrived due to them having no visa.........Has anybody ever been in the same boat when their parents have flown over please??

They need a tourist visa ETA or they will be refused. It is electronic so nothing in their passports. A travel agent would be a good place for them to go to sort it out in the UK or whoever the flights were booked with if they can't get help with an on line application.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 11:34 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rammygirl
They need a tourist visa ETA or they will be refused. It is electronic so nothing in their passports. A travel agent would be a good place for them to go to sort it out in the UK or whoever the flights were booked with if they can't get help with an on line application.
Does something need to be done about the duff advice apparantly given out by AH? No that I would know where to start of course.

Ditto the advice re travel agents.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Does something need to be done about the duff advice apparantly given out by AH? No that I would know where to start of course.

Not sure what you mean about the Travel Agents they will often sort out travel visas like this for people for free if they have booked flights or holidays with them or for a small fee if not. It is a simple on-line process after all - although I do appreciate that for your parents it is a genuine issue.

have you had some bad advice from them?

When a friend booked for Oz a holiday in Oz recently the Travel Agent sorted the visa for her as part of the deal.

Australia house have nothing to do with these visas.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:00 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle

It was AH that told them that they didn't need a visa as they were over 65 and were visiting family. Allegedly.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes but when you said ditto re the travel agent you implied that this was duff advice too!!

Sorry I thought I was being helpful
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:05 pm
221b Baker Street

You were being helpful...'twas my mistake to put "ditto the travel agent". What I meant was....yes the Travel Agents can sort it. Sorry to confuse. Am I forgiven?
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Of course you are

Hope they can get it all sorted OK and have a great holiday.

(Often the way with e-mail/text/etc - it is easy to mis-communicate - both ways!!)
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:17 pm
221b Baker Street

It's very easy to get it wrong isn't it. Even when you try so hard to be careful and accurate. However, some people just end up going right off the subject - like talking about ETA one minute then going on and on and on about making mistakes. Er, that would be.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look here -
http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/evisitor/
If you have their details you can do it for them, otherwise get a travel agent to do it. Very quick, very easy - make sure you read all the conditions on the Obligations section though (re convictions etc). Its all electronic so unless you print out the confirmation page they will not have any paperwork. They need one each.

Remember to tell them they will need to fill in the incoming passenger card, saying where they are staying etc, and if they are bringing food in, check first what it is, and make sure you tell them to declare it!!
Old Jun 10th 2010, 4:01 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

If you are worried about your parents visas, it is very easy for you to do it online for them - I did my parents for them online when we all came on holiday to Oz a couple of years back. It's a tenner each that you can pay by card & you just need d.o.b, passports & if I remember rightly, place of birth (or maybe that was America, coz I did theirs for that too!)

Alternatively, if they are using a travel agent for flights, I would echo the advice already given & ask the agent to sort out the visa for them
Old Jun 10th 2010, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenniGee
It's a tenner each
Was $20 each (for an ETA), now free (for an eVisitor visa)! See http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tour...w-to-apply.htm and/or https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/visas/app/uu/cs
Old Jun 10th 2010, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

Kayelem is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. You parents DONT need the ETA visa if they have UK passports and are British citizens they need an "evisitor". I did my mum's for her last night. We were about to do the ETA one when we saw the evisitor info. The ETA one would cost $20 whereas the evisitor is free and takes minutes to get approval. All they need is their dates of birth passport number and full names and any other names they have been known by. Its valid for 12 months. It says on the immi website that it has to be done outside of Australia. Do you have anyone in UK that could do it for them?
Old Jun 10th 2010, 6:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kayelem
Hi. You parents DONT need the ETA visa if they have UK passports and are British citizens they need an "evisitor". I did my mum's for her last night. We were about to do the ETA one when we saw the evisitor info. The ETA one would cost $20 whereas the evisitor is free and takes minutes to get approval. All they need is their dates of birth passport number and full names and any other names they have been known by. Its valid for 12 months. It says on the immi website that it has to be done outside of Australia. Do you have anyone in UK that could do it for them?
The link I posted above leads to the application info for the "evisitor"
Old Jun 11th 2010, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kayelem
Yes apologies for this I meant the e-visitor not the ETA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.