Duke

Default Multiple Residency

Hello,

I applied for the Australian Immigration last year. Parallely my US
immigration
was also going on.
While filling the australian application, I didn't mention that I have also
appied for
US residency.(Actually it was nowhere asked in the form).
Yesterday only I received the paperwork for doing the medicals.
Now I received the US residency but I don't want to abandon my OZ
application.

Few Questions:
Am I liable to inform DIMIA about this change ?
What are the consequences this may have on my application ?
Will it get rejected ?

thank you for your advise!

-d

Old Sep 4th 2004, 5:40 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multiple Residency

> <snip>
> Now I received the US residency but I don't want to abandon my
> OZ application.

Congratulations. I am not sure if you have checked out what is required of you to maintain your US residency rights.

> Few Questions:
> Am I liable to inform DIMIA about this change ?

There isn't a need to inform DIMIA about your US residency application.

> What are the consequences this may have on my application ?

Obtaining approval to reside in the US or any other country permanently has no legal bearing on your application for Australian permanent residence. However, there are practical consequences depending on where you choose to reside ultimately.

> Will it get rejected ?

If you meet all the requirements for the grant of the Australian visa that you applied for, there is no reason for rejection. However, as I mentioned, your eligibility for a Resident Return Visa (RRV), or Australian citizenship for that matter, in the future may be jeapordized if you choose not to reside in Australia for the required period(s) of time.

Peter
Old Sep 6th 2004, 4:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multiple Residency

Originally Posted by ptlabs

Obtaining approval to reside in the US or any other country permanently has no legal bearing on your application for Australian permanent residence. However, there are practical consequences depending on where you choose to reside ultimately.
To add to what Peter has said, holding Australian PR visa or status might have an impact on one's PR status in another country, depending on what the laws of *that* country say.

Jeremy